ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Oct 1, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #1,366 of 1,571
They seem to be fine. Not quite what the Sony was but in general very nice headphones and easily worth the price.
Yup. I just got mine about a month back. No issues. :)

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #1,367 of 1,571
Wow, lots of old timers in this thread!

Saw the ES-R10 in a Headamp ad on FB which piqued my interest as the OG R10 was one of the headphones I've never been able to try. Thinking of getting a pair while it's still available, since it might be interesting to EQ it through an ADI-2.

Lots of positive reviews regarding the SQ, but how's the build quality overall in these later batches?
That's exactly what I do! I'm running the ES R10 off my RME ADI-2 DAC FS as my all-in-one desktop setup. I do like to run it as is, but from time to time, I find myself fiddling with the treble knob; I dial it back for some songs to take the edge off excessive brightness and sparkle (I haven't actually tried EQing further than simply messing with the convenient bass and treble knobs). I'm quite happy with the results!

On another note, I'm definitely also curious about 300B headphone amplifier pairings with ES R10 down the line, keeping RME ADI-2 as the DAC and easily adjusting things on-the-go!

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #1,369 of 1,571
Does the ES-R10 works great with Metal like Evergrey, Dream Theater and also Death?
I’ve been listening to a lot of Om and Sleep, more stoner/doom, but @Aura my buddy who got me into these in the first place listens mostly to more death metal and he doesn’t complain :wink:

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,370 of 1,571
Does the ES-R10 works great with Metal like Evergrey, Dream Theater and also Death?
It works GREAT with metal. That's the biggest difference from the OG - the OG is a total suck-fest with metal :smile:

That's exactly what I do! I'm running the ES R10 off my RME ADI-2 DAC FS as my all-in-one desktop setup. I do like to run it as is, but from time to time, I find myself fiddling with the treble knob; I dial it back for some songs to take the edge off excessive brightness and sparkle (I haven't actually tried EQing further than simply messing with the convenient bass and treble knobs). I'm quite happy with the results!

On another note, I'm definitely also curious about 300B headphone amplifier pairings with ES R10 down the line, keeping RME ADI-2 as the DAC and easily adjusting things on-the-go!
RME ADI-2 "Black Edition" Pro sounded too dry for my preferences with ES-R10. But I only tried its DAC output, and didn't use EQ. Phison PD2 Preamp+DAC coupled with Headroom Balanced Max is what took the ES-R10 to a next level, for me. Much better than Yggy Analog 2. But the Phison's built-in headphone amp didn't seem too bad a match either (if a bit awkward, with output on the back) - I should try that again.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #1,371 of 1,571
It works GREAT with metal. That's the biggest difference from the OG - the OG is a total suck-fest with metal :smile:

RME ADI-2 "Black Edition" Pro sounded too dry for my preferences with ES-R10. But I only tried its DAC output, and didn't use EQ. Phison PD2 Preamp+DAC coupled with Headroom Balanced Max is what took the ES-R10 to a next level, for me. Much better than Yggy Analog 2. But the Phison's built-in headphone amp didn't seem too bad a match either (if a bit awkward, with output on the back) - I should try that again.
Currently listening to some pig destroyer - does not suck. The impact is pretty out of this world.

Oct 16, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,373 of 1,571
Headamp, I need some ES-R10 please.

Out of respect and appreciation for the HP heritage observed and
respect given and as someone who believes the hype from the great
efforts ES-Labs appears to have done here.

ordered
Congrats! :)

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #1,374 of 1,571
The (new) old and the (old) new.

20221019_164854.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,375 of 1,571
The (new) old and the (old) new.

Disclaimer: I bought all my stuff with my own hard earned money and I've no interest in promoting anything ever. I get pleasure from reading other's opinions and have found other peoples opinions valuable in deciding what to purchase and merely wish to, for lack of other words, wish to pay it forward, if you will.

Ok that's out of the way

back to our regularly scheduled post...

I have both - there are times when a sweet closed back let's one get involved in the music - love 'em both. Yes, my ES-R10 has landed - initial impressions - so incredibly light. Using my Sony DAP to my Sony to my ES-R10 (see profile) and we have matched drivers and no imperfections. Headamp, thumbs up on speed and quality of shipment, as usual. More to come after I absorb and digest some and allow the drivers to acclimate. Running in with some Yes Steven Wilson Remixes and some Rush on continuous play at low volumes. It's a beautiful headphone - a prize.

Now, the Original MDR-R10 I never heard, I never tried, I never touched, I've only read about it from many whose opinions I hold in high regard. This is as close to the myth I will ever get and so I am happier to own this, touch this, feel this and hear what I truly believe is an audio perspective, one of many, one of many flavors and one I will look forward to experiencing. All in good time. Time.

Time.

This headphone celebrates a Time.

A time.

A time when lush mids, smooth highs, and an enchanting soundstage was presented in a polite and comfy headphone..

Time...

To listen using my IMAC > CHORD QUTEST > GS-X mini > ES-R10 to the

Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill (Remastered) : Alanis' Vocals have incredible separation and the baseline, while not overwhelming, is heard in generous and sufficient quantities, this headphone gives a wonderful sheen to the music as the mids are celebrated. The soundstage is very wide with a wonderfully incisive presentation - on "Hand In My Pocket" I'm really loving the way this headphone gets into the music and dissects each track with warm precision. Hey I think I really like it's ability to extract the layers in each song.

....Time

To realize I perhaps think I'm going to enjoy this relationship

To explore more

In Time

but that's all the Time for today.

ANOTHER DAY

So the days go by so fast ... been letting the ES-R10 burn in at low volumes from the Sony TA-ZH1ES to the Sony NW-WM1A then to the R10s. Volumes been around 45...that's pretty low. Approximately 72hrs in and they have shown themselves to be quite the addictive listen for me. I'm listening to the following set up which is different than that of my burning in rig --->>>>

IMAC -> CHORD QUTEST -> HEADAMP GS-X mini -> ES-R10

They relay a somewhat holographic expression of the music, putting the individual pieces of the music in their own geometric space, the soundstage goes to 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock without a problem. The highs are rendered gently and warmly. What I'm trying to say is the addictive quality is an effect that I'm really enjoying from the wood housing and the thoughtful recreation of a specific shape and with pads made of soft sheep skin over a carefully recreated acoustical foam. One can close one's eyes and become involved in the music. In fact, these headphones demand that the listener be involved in the music. I'm listening to various tracks from Rush - Moving Pictures and it's not the headphones ability to pick up fine details on display, no, no it's more the way it picks up the details and serves them up to you in a very nice and comfy fashion. I want to keep typing but wearing this headphone makes it difficult to concentrate on anything than that which is playing on the headphones. Tom Sawyer just came on and wow what a holographic listen with nice lows and all the mids one could want - the cymbal crashes sound as they should and don't hurt or feel sibilant in any way whatsoever. I'm really a bit surprised at how lovely these headphones are. I keep on catching myself smiling a bit as I listen. I really had low expectations for this phone and they've somewhat surpassed them. The vocals really get pulled out and placed before me - each piece on the drum kit Neil bangs on is given it's place, also. Geddy's bass sings on Red Barchetta and it too sounds as it should with no exaggeration. It's like this headphone reaches in and really uncovers the layers - at least it does this on my rig. I'm not saying that it's analytical and cold like one could say about an hd800 like signature - no it adds a flavor like reverb to the music. Maybe this is what some people mean when they say it's the most open closed heaphone they've ever heard. Meaning somehow this particular design - could be the shape of the wood cups, the biocellulose diaghram, the pads, or the carefully and meticulously recreated suspension of the diaghram, or probably a combination of all these factors along with the wonderful seal that houses one's ear, that allow it to have the ability to have such an appealing sound and I'm not listening out of tubes. No, no all Solid State and digital here but it harkens back to the Analog Vinyl days.

Build Quality: I'm very pleased with the build of the headphone. A thoughtful design that yields no unwanted sounds. If I had to complain it would be about the size of the ear cups, they are big and if your chair has a backrest an you decide to turn your head, well, you can't. That cannot be something you didn't know about going into this though as we all knew about the size and shape of the glorious cups, right? The box that houses the headphone is an unfinished wood that echoes the box that houses my beloved Stax SR-009. They have the exact shape but, as I stated, it's unfinished. Did I say it was unfinished? There's a nice plaque on the Box that relays the model of the headphone and where it was made. It came with two microfibre cloths. I chose the 1/4" 6 foot cable and it's more than enough for my needs.

Each piece of the headphone recreated faithfully as the device was meant to recreate music to the listener - such poetry.

SN 93 here FWIW

Attachments

• ES-R10.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #1,376 of 1,571
6 months is at or past when I start losing my excitement in a dynamic headphone, or relegate them to their assigned "compromise" role. The ES-10 have broken that barrier - they still fully excite and intrigue! L3000 being the other notable exception. The ES-R10's woody timbre and careful tuning is simply superior to that of other wood headphones. The cups' acoustic reverberation effect and large soundstage is perfect for enhancing music, without coming off as gimmicky or artificial. Their listening fatigue factor is as low as a properly driven Stax (far better than typical dynamics). They play loud without issue. And their technicalities (detail, extension, distortion) are *just* good enough to get out of the way. They're super amp-friendly AND scale greatly with top-notch sources. I hope everyone who wants one got theirs :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #1,377 of 1,571
I think I'm appreciating this headphone more over time. I've found I prefer to pair it with warmer electronics (as I generally do with closed phones) and I wasn't doing that in the beginning. The reverb and the closed nature did make it fatiguing for me with a brighter DAC. Recently I've been listening with the Rockna Wavelight and an HSA-1b and while both lean a touch warm and dark, they create a phenomenal synergy with the ES-R10. The ES-R10 can play up the holographic strength of the Wavelight and the timbre of this chain is magnetic and poor for sleep management.

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #1,378 of 1,571
6 months is at or past when I start losing my excitement in a dynamic headphone, or relegate them to their assigned "compromise" role. The ES-10 have broken that barrier - they still fully excite and intrigue! L3000 being the other notable exception. The ES-R10's woody timbre and careful tuning is simply superior to that of other wood headphones. The cups' acoustic reverberation effect and large soundstage is perfect for enhancing music, without coming off as gimmicky or artificial. Their listening fatigue factor is as low as a properly driven Stax (far better than typical dynamics). They play loud without issue. And their technicalities (detail, extension, distortion) are *just* good enough to get out of the way. They're super amp-friendly AND scale greatly with top-notch sources. I hope everyone who wants one got theirs :)
Well said and I fully concur. For me it’s more like 3 months lol. Thought I found it with Elex, then senn hd800s, nope. None really compared to my speaker setup. R10 first one where I equally split time listening with speakers - heck, lately I’ve been actually looking forward to headphone listening and making it a priority. It’s been a very long time I’ve been able to say that about any headphone. I mean considering it’s been maybe 10 years since I’ve actually been posting on head-fi that should tell you all you need to know, haha.

Nov 2, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #1,379 of 1,571
Well said and I fully concur. For me it’s more like 3 months lol. Thought I found it with Elex, then senn hd800s, nope. None really compared to my speaker setup. R10 first one where I equally split time listening with speakers - heck, lately I’ve been actually looking forward to headphone listening and making it a priority. It’s been a very long time I’ve been able to say that about any headphone. I mean considering it’s been maybe 10 years since I’ve actually been posting on head-fi that should tell you all you need to know, haha.
I find the ES R10 takes you into the music. It is like you are transported to the venue. It was the same feeling I got when I listened to the R10 Sony.

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #1,380 of 1,571
14 Days In:

I'm gonna tell you what, this headphone is simply a well balanced headphone in that the way it's reproducing the frequencies is spot on. I'm really pleased with this piece of gear. It's just got some nice shimmer in between impacts of percussion and transients. It is a non-fatiguing, clear, precise, yet warm reproduction that allows the ambient sounds in the studio to reveal more musical emotion. It creates a desire for one to simply and elegantly not want to stop exploring more and more music. A sleeper headphone that will be missed when the stock runs out. I'm so blessed to be able to have the pleasure to own this. I'm gonna keep on listening and enjoying this now. I'll check in again from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back