ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #1,352 of 1,571
Hi folks, I've just posted my review of ES-R10. In short, I liked them a lot. If anyone is interested, please check this out.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/es-lab-es-r10-closed-back-dynamic-headphones.26065/review/29256/
Awesome write-up! The only disagreement I have is with sound leakage / isolation. They work extremely well for me even with thick acrylic glasses on. But then I'm only using them at home and not outside in loud environments. The wife attests that she hears nothing when I'm next to her in bed.

My go-to closed back when I want to kick back and relax. Still looking for a portable complement to it.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #1,353 of 1,571
Hi folks, I've just posted my review of ES-R10. In short, I liked them a lot. If anyone is interested, please check this out.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/es-lab-es-r10-closed-back-dynamic-headphones.26065/review/29256/
Nice, a lot of work there. I get good isolation. My ears don't touch the cover of the driver and my ears, which are fairly normal in size, fit inside the pads. If not, then the seal would not be as good and there would be leakage. Also I have tested mine and they go to 20hz with no issue.

It can also be amp dependent on some of the sounds. For me, the ES R10 are neither like an open headphone or closed. They create a different musical world. It defies what I have heard before from either and it is interesting.

Sep 24, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,354 of 1,571
Sep 24, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #1,355 of 1,571
The only disagreement I have is with sound leakage / isolation.

I get good isolation. My ears don't touch the cover of the driver and my ears, which are fairly normal in size, fit inside the pads. If not, then the seal would not be as good and there would be leakage.

Great points. I might have to clarify. My ears seem a little bigger than the average. I'm also coming from headphones that have inner dimension is relatively large (Susvara, Stealth). Both factors might perhaps cause suboptimal wearing/seal.

I'm also living in occasionally noisy environment (loud party, construction, etc) and the closed back hps I'm having (S4R and Stealth) is exceptionally effective in isolating against noise. I might prefer a bit tighter clamping and stronger attenuation.

For me, the ES R10 are neither like an open headphone or closed.

They generally sounded highly open to me. Ironically more open than HD650 which is legit open back. Haha. Their soundstage is almost addictive.

Sep 24, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,356 of 1,571
Great points. I might have to clarify. My ears seem a little bigger than the average. I'm also coming from headphones that have inner dimension is relatively large (Susvara, Stealth). Both factors might perhaps cause suboptimal wearing/seal.

I'm also living in occasionally noisy environment (loud party, construction, etc) and the closed back hps I'm having (S4R and Stealth) is exceptionally effective in isolating against noise. I might prefer a bit tighter clamping and stronger attenuation.

They generally sounded highly open to me. Ironically more open than HD650 which is legit open back. Haha. Their soundstage is almost addictive.
I do agree, I wish they clamped a little tighter. I wish there as a way to accomplish this but I am just glad to have acquired these very special headphones.

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,357 of 1,571
I do agree, I wish they clamped a little tighter. I wish there as a way to accomplish this but I am just glad to have acquired these very special headphones.
Heheh! Every time I read about complaints that the clamp is not tight enough, I become self conscious… I must have a thick head cos I have always found the clamp pretty snug. 🙊

Sep 25, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #1,358 of 1,571
Was so pleased with the 16 core silver cable from AliExpress that I ordered a 16 core UPOCC cable from the same store. Very nice! Whilst there is good clarity/transparency, there is also added note weight and improved timbre. :)

97D243CC-941F-4AF3-B8CA-9CCD60F05E75.jpeg
76F0CB64-50CB-4C9F-9B0D-A487B4F83840.jpeg
Now that I have had a few days with this cable, I will say that it is a good counterpart and alternative to the 16 core silver cable. This UPOCC cables introduces more note weight and there’s a nice organic sense to the sound and soundstage. Lovely timbre. Perhaps not as sharp or quick as the silver, but very enjoyable nonetheless. :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,359 of 1,571
Now that I have had a few days with this cable, I will say that it is a good counterpart and alternative to the 16 core silver cable. This UPOCC cables introduces more note weight and there’s a nice organic sense to the sound and soundstage. Lovely timbre. Perhaps not as sharp or quick as the silver, but very enjoyable nonetheless. :)
How do these compare with the stock cable?

Sep 26, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #1,360 of 1,571
How do these compare with the stock cable?
Haha! What I have been observing about the two cables have been in comparison to the stock cable.

I think the silver cable brings much more details and transparency to the R10, as well as dynamism.

The copper, on the other hand, brings more timbre and organic feel to the R10.

Sep 26, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #1,361 of 1,571
Haha! What I have been observing about the two cables have been in comparison to the stock cable.

I think the silver cable brings much more details and transparency to the R10, as well as dynamism.

The copper, on the other hand, brings more timbre and organic feel to the R10.
Ah, nice. And reasonable pricing too.

Sep 26, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #1,362 of 1,571
Ah, nice. And reasonable pricing too.
Indeed! So it doesn't cost much to experiment. I'm getting a 16 core silver/UPOCC hybrid cable to try on my MySphere 3.1 and 3.2 as well.

Sep 27, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #1,363 of 1,571

Yeah, I agree about the sense of openness, and they legit sound more spacious then some of the more recent open sounding headphones I've had, such as the focal elex. I know it may not be "real" per se but the magic trick and illusion of soundstage these r10's convey is very convincing

Oct 1, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,364 of 1,571
Wow, lots of old timers in this thread!

Saw the ES-R10 in a Headamp ad on FB which piqued my interest as the OG R10 was one of the headphones I've never been able to try. Thinking of getting a pair while it's still available, since it might be interesting to EQ it through an ADI-2.

Lots of positive reviews regarding the SQ, but how's the build quality overall in these later batches?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #1,365 of 1,571
Wow, lots of old timers in this thread!

Saw the ES-R10 in a Headamp ad on FB which piqued my interest as the OG R10 was one of the headphones I've never been able to try. Thinking of getting a pair while it's still available, since it might be interesting to EQ it through an ADI-2.

Lots of positive reviews regarding the SQ, but how's the build quality overall in these later batches?
They seem to be fine. Not quite what the Sony was but in general very nice headphones and easily worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back