ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
May 10, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #751 of 1,571
inflation
I paid $75 for a full tank yesterday for my civic where im from. Last year and beyond it was a consistent $35 for a full tank.

We are F'ed....

May 10, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #752 of 1,571
Interesting. It looks like the flavor of the month phenomenon is wearing out a bit and we're starting to get more mixed reviews.

These are not the flavor of the month, they are the real deal. I don't see any negative reviews here, although some are more in love than others. I guess you could call my review mixed, in the sense that I did not say the ES-R10 is better than all other headphones in every way. I have criticisms of all the headphones I've heard including the ES-R10, but I do choose to wear them while working every single weekday, so....

If someone asked me to recommend a single headphone to own under 2K, I'd probably recommend the Arya (stealth version) or maybe the Audeze LCD-X (2021). If you want a closed-back that is not well suited to mobile use and has neutral bass, get the ES-R10 without a doubt.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #753 of 1,571
These are not the flavor of the month, they are the real deal. I don't see any negative reviews here, although some are more in love than others. I guess you could call my review mixed, in the sense that I did not say the ES-R10 is better than all other headphones in every way. I have criticisms of all the headphones I've heard including the ES-R10, but I do choose to wear them while working every single weekday, so....

If someone asked me to recommend a single headphone to own under 2K, I'd probably recommend the Arya (stealth version) or maybe the Audeze LCD-X (2021). If you want a closed-back that is not well suited to mobile use and has neutral bass, get the ES-R10 without a doubt.
What do you like more about the Arya Stealth than the ES-R10?

May 10, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #754 of 1,571
Thanks alot for your insights. I'll likely stick to the hifiman R9 as my bass cannon of choice then.

Based off what Ive read so far am I right to say that it follows old school sony tuning in that its not very detail focused nor has great slam or has the decay speed of the "new" Z7M2/Z1R but instead has a rich wide centre image focused on smoothing and making vocals and strings very warm creamy and rich and works wonderfully with moderate to slower paced songs esp with vocal or cello solo where it provides this larger than life experence where the sound just fills every part of your surroundings?

Not really my cup of tea but I can see it being sought after since no one produces sound like that anymore. The closest at lest that Ive heard would be the arya stealth but its still a tad too fast and narrow. Maybe toobed with burr brown might work?
sorry for being too active or opinionated but I was compelled to respond. Your comment about slam, probably spot on. rich wide midrange focused? probably true. BTW, I think soundage is reasonably good/immersive, but imaging is a bit less precise/acurate. but the part about being warm and creamy and slow and less detailed? I am familiar with such sound. Heck, I own a Sonorous X supposedly develpoed in part by the former Sony guy. I cannot stand them. This headphone is not overly warm or creamy. I think detail is good. I do not find the headphone to be overly smooth either. I think overall speed is fast, meaning the sound does not linger. Dynamics are also quite good. Warm creamy sound is not to my liking and I do like the ES-R10, I know you were going off of what you have read so I don't judge your opinion, but I wanted to at least let you know I do not think the desctiption was completely reflective of its actual sound.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #755 of 1,571
sorry for being too active or opinionated but I was compelled to respond. Your comment about slam, probably spot on. rich wide midrange focused? probably true. BTW, I think soundage is reasonably good/immersive, but imaging is a bit less precise/acurate. but the part about being warm and creamy and slow and less detailed? I am familiar with such sound. Heck, I own a Sonorous X supposedly develpoed in part by the former Sony guy. I cannot stand them. This headphone is not overly warm or creamy. I think detail is good. I do not find the headphone to be overly smooth either. I think overall speed is fast, meaning the sound does not linger. Dynamics are also quite good. Warm creamy sound is not to my liking and I do like the ES-R10, I know you were going off of what you have read so I don't judge your opinion, but I wanted to at least let you know I do not think the desctiption was completely reflective of its actual sound.
Ah thats good to know, I guess I was projecting too much of my experence with the Z7m1 and CH700n(yeah its a BT headphone but it has similar tuning qualities) together which what I read onto the the ES-R10. Esp with all those terms like euphoric and full sounding being thrown about.

May 10, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #757 of 1,571
What do you like more about the Arya Stealth than the ES-R10?

First, I said "neutral bass" which was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say was that the bass is not over-emphasized. It is actually not neutral.

I've only heard the Arya briefly, but it seemed like a really good all around headphone that would work well with most genres. Same with the LCD-X. It is not that I think either one is better than the ES-R10. Just different. The ES-R10 is very opinionated. I hesitate to recommend them as someones only headphones, but if you love their "opinion" then no problem. I've had my ES-R10 for a few weeks now and am really enjoying them. I've also been listening to my electrostats a bit and enjoying them also. I guess I don't think there is a single best headphone, so I try to have a well rounded collection. :o2smile:

May 11, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #758 of 1,571
To be fair, the Sennheiser HD800S is also made with plastic, but it doesn’t look cheap 🤔 I hope it isn’t that bad….and now somehow I am hyped about this “cheaply built” quality of this phones
It's more comfy than 800S, but might strain the neck muscles a tad faster. While material choice seems on the lower end, it doesn't scream "cheap". Just not "premium". Then again, premium builds like VCs come with inherent weight issues.

It's an acceptable compromise I guess.

May 11, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #759 of 1,571
It's an acceptable compromise I guess.
At a very high cost, though. A few years ago, a $1650 (plus shipping and taxes) headphone with such compromises would have raised many eyebrows.

May 11, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #760 of 1,571
At a very high cost, though. A few years ago, a $1650 (plus shipping and taxes) headphone with such compromises would have raised many eyebrows.
Better than compromising on sound and comfort... which many other headphones at equal or higher price points do.

The headband doesn't bug me once I have them on my head. No squeaks nor squeals to remind me of their "cheap" build. Like others had shared with me before I made my purchase, I'm really paying for the R10 sound at a huge discounted price here. The plushy comfortable ear pads were a nice bonus for me.

May 12, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #761 of 1,571
First, I said "neutral bass" which was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant to say was that the bass is not over-emphasized. It is actually not neutral.

I've only heard the Arya briefly, but it seemed like a really good all around headphone that would work well with most genres. Same with the LCD-X. It is not that I think either one is better than the ES-R10. Just different. The ES-R10 is very opinionated. I hesitate to recommend them as someones only headphones, but if you love their "opinion" then no problem. I've had my ES-R10 for a few weeks now and am really enjoying them. I've also been listening to my electrostats a bit and enjoying them also. I guess I don't think there is a single best headphone, so I try to have a well rounded collection. :o2smile:
I am interested in your comment that the ES-R10 is 'very opinionated'. I interpret this to mean you feel that it has tendencies or a coloration / tonal balance that is not neutral. If you wouldn't mind, could you assess the sonics you hear that deviate from neutral. For example, do you think its bass-light or that midrange is too prominent or that treble is too rolled off? Not suggesting these are what you might feel, just giving an example of the kind of analysis I'd be interested in.

May 13, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #762 of 1,571
I don't think anyone is saying these are bass light. They're not bass-head cans either. You guys on the fence are now looking way too hard to find negatives. By the same token, nobody is going to be able to say anything positive enough to convince you guys to jump in yet. My advice is to chill from the ES-R10 thing for a few weeks and check back in after the next batch of owners has some hours and impressions going.

My position is still that these are a wonderful and unique sounding headphone, with excellent tuning and sonic balance from top to bottom. The weakness is very slight lack of clarity and some congestion compared to an excellent Stax rig. These issues can be mitigated somewhat by gear pairings - right here I have a Phison DAC w/ Innuous Signature & Roon upsampled to DSD 128 right here that makes the R10 sound amazing (really develops clarity) and the L700 too lean and really not so hot. But when I switch the Phison DAC over to an Audiophilleo 2 & Sony WM1Z source (PCM), the L700 shines and the R10 sounds a little congested.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #763 of 1,571
I am interested in your comment that the ES-R10 is 'very opinionated'. I interpret this to mean you feel that it has tendencies or a coloration / tonal balance that is not neutral. If you wouldn't mind, could you assess the sonics you hear that deviate from neutral. For example, do you think its bass-light or that midrange is too prominent or that treble is too rolled off? Not suggesting these are what you might feel, just giving an example of the kind of analysis I'd be interested in.

Yes, I'm referring to coloration/tone. I tend to be more of a big picture listener unless a specific area of the frequency response is very off. The lowest bass is rolled off, but it does not bother me. The treble is a tad peaky with some material. It can sometimes sound a bit congested, especially in the upper mids. For me, that is its biggest fault. In the case of the ES-R10 being opinionated, I'm referring to my overall impression, not specific areas. Many have called the sound "romantic," and I agree with that. While it is reasonably detailed, less than stellar recording can still sound really good. The midrange has a warmth that I really like. These are all deviations from neutrality, but work as a whole.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back