ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 14, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #361 of 1,571
It was also clear from looking at Hifiman's wood choice that it was an extremely cheap, fast-growing wood with VERY wide rings.

Sony's wood has many, tight, slow-growing rings in the wood, and the ES-R10 (from the photos posted) seems to be a little faster growing than the Sony's, but nowhere near as fast as Hifiman's choice.

Apr 14, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #362 of 1,571
You can see from the HiFiMan product page that the cups are carved from a block of wood. But otherwise, it is such a shamefully poor homage, especially in contrast to the ES Labs version. That HFM headband doesn't even belong on a $200 headphone.
That is saying a lot coming from a Grado fanboy! 🤣

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #363 of 1,571
I believe the manual stated the hifiman he-r10d used cherry wood.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #364 of 1,571
Did he actually use a real wood on his version
He used cherry wood for the R10P and precise cuts to make the shape.

It is not about that that piss me off. He mocked and made fun of the Sony R10 live on staged. But behind doors he has couple of Sony R10s. Worshipping them as gods.
There are lots of amateurs here on Headfi and he convinced lots of reviewers that the Sony R10 was a so-so product. While secretly on his knees worshipping Sony. That is not acceptable.

He is jealous of Sennheiser and Sony. And I bet he is envy of mighty STAX.

Yeah that's right fang raise it up HIGHER!
rr1o00.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #367 of 1,571
He used cherry wood for the R10P and precise cuts to make the shape.

It is not about that that piss me off. He mocked and made fun of the Sony R10 live on staged. But behind doors he has couple of Sony R10s. Worshipping them as a gods.
There are lots of amateurs here on Headfi and he convinced lots of reviewers that the Sony R10 was a so-so product. While secretly on his knees worshipping Sony. That is not expectable.

He is jealous of Sennheiser and Sony. And I bet he is envy of mighty STAX.

Yeah that's right fang raise it up HIGHER!
rr1o00.jpg
Sometimes I love the WWF spirit you bring to this forum. 🤣

Apr 14, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #368 of 1,571
Is anyone experiencing any rubbing on the back edge of the ear from it rubbing on the pad? I only feel this on the right side and it's irritating me a bit. ES Labs told me I could try to stretch the whole of the pad larger.
Rubbing? Does your headphone move about when you're listening to music? There is contact but that's normal for most headphones. The back of my ears fit into the hole and rests against the pads.

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #369 of 1,571
Ok I take it back. Diablo + WA8 is significantly better than just the Diablo in terms of bass, sub-bass (royal rumble!) and mids. Shall continue burn-in, enjoying, and experimenting with the limited source gear that I have to play with.
I tried just using WA8 by itself and the result was quite bad... way too warm and dark. Torn between pure SS via the Diablo and Diablo + WA8 (tubes). Will need my actual desktop tube amps to come to know if they end up being too warm...

The others? What's your preference? Does tube amplification work for you guys?

Apr 15, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #370 of 1,571
I tried just using WA8 by itself and the result was quite bad... way too warm and dark. Torn between pure SS via the Diablo and Diablo + WA8 (tubes). Will need my actual desktop tube amps to come to know if they end up being too warm...

The others? What's your preference? Does tube amplification work for you guys?
I'm surprised that the DAC between two modern portable units makes such a difference. I would have expected that if the Woo 8 was a bad match, it would be for its tube amplifier section alone. I know OTL tube amps could be challenged by the OG R10 (I experienced driving mine into bass distortion), but your Woo 8 even has output transformers and seems to offer ample power at 32 ohms. Mini tubes and transformers in a portable unit...mind blown. We didn't have this back then lol.

Our ES R10 will arrive TODAY! I plan to use SS, an old Headroom Balanced Max that I just love. So I got the XLR cable.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #372 of 1,571
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #373 of 1,571
Yeah most listener

Haha! Mine should be here very soon as well. Sadly I won’t get home til later tonight!
I tracked it yesterday-said it was expected 4/19. This morning it was in Cincinnati already...and just got a text ago saying it's out for delivery in Utah. That made my weekend-maybe you'll have similar luck.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #374 of 1,571
I tracked it yesterday-said it was expected 4/19. This morning it was in Cincinnati already...and just got a text ago saying it's out for delivery in Utah. That made my weekend-maybe you'll have similar luck.
@mulvel and I are just few stops away ourselves before delivery. Mine is just three stops away from delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back