ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #241 of 1,571
I'm curious about putting on larger ear pads, so the ES-R10 would become over ear headphones.
How much of the magical sound would remain?
You will ruin the magic of the headphone. It must be this way.

The whole point of the ES-R10 is to be exactly like the Sony MDR R10.

Again I must repeat the fun fact.

Fun fact: Sony MDR R10 is the most comfortable headphone on planet earth. More comfortable than HD800,Stax, Hifiman etch... you name it.

The ES-R10 almost retains the exact feel and comfort. Just a tad heavier and tighter.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #244 of 1,571
Hence the main reason I'm re-terminating my silver Statement cable. I've preferred silver over copper with all of my headphones so far. Where would you now say the ES R10 rates on technicalities vs other flagships, mainly in terms of transparency, resolution, esp micro detail, now with silver in the mix?
With my silver occ cable- the R10 rates with the big boys including my TC on every technicality you mentioned (resolution and transparency). No less IMHO. Bass and width of soundstage still go to the TC, but magic and euphony to the R10. T2 silver caught up the R10 to the TC in technicalities IMHO... Close enough that it doesn't matter.

Apr 3, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #245 of 1,571
I'm not a cable believer but I like good looking cables and also the feeling of it.
I bought a couple of norneaudio cables back in the day. Hes also great to talk to about his stuff. Maybe Ill pick them up later for the R10. A matching pair.
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

This is how they look :)
D2808C3F-6E78-41D1-84F8-CEF508A3FB55.jpeg
norne_audio_upgrade_cable_for__1615886492_c46096fa_progressive.jpg
norne_audio_silver_draug_headp_1598247953_13af28ef.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #246 of 1,571
Apr 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #248 of 1,571
Going back and forth with ES-Omega and ES-R10. I concluded that ES-lab should be a top tier company. If he releases a ES-HE90 and its 90% identical to Sennheiser HE90 with a price tag of $1500 it's game over for other companies.

His Omega is much better than 009/009S. Meh barely want to listen to those. 😆
20220404_140549.jpg

Apr 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #250 of 1,571
Oh man, you're killing me, that Omega clone is very tempting.
Notice you have the OG Omega.

This will be for you :beerchug:

ES-OMEGA vs STAX OMEGA 1993
- https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stax-sr-Ω-sr-omega-the-legendary-omega.847079/

I asked ES-Lab for a warm, euphoric sound signature as I discovered already that's my ultimate sound signature. He recommended that is the copper cable and normal pads. The silver cables and extra pads might be closer to the OG. However, I am not sure. https://www.eslabhk.com/product-page/es-1-alpha-electrostatic-headphone

1. The OG is brighter

2. The OG has a bigger soundstage. The ES-Omega copper edition also has a big sound to it. Not as big. It's somewhat hard to tell. Both are nirvana levels.

3. The ES-Omega is not harsh and has no sibilance or treble issues.

4. OG Omega can be fatiguing. The ES-Omega Copper edition has no issues with this. I spent a good day with these and found it smooth and relaxing.

5. Both are natural and realistic. Hard to say which one is better here.

6. I like the bass on the Es-Omega Better

7. I like the treble on the Es-Omega better

8. The rest of the sound signature, the OG is better, by a sight margin. The ES-Omega is a replica of the OG. So it cant be 10x better, right.

9. The Es-Omega copper edition is darker, wet, and distant. It makes the headphone relaxing and can be listened to for a long time.

10. The build is better on the ES-Omega because it's new compared to the 30-year-old Stax.

11. No farts or squeeze on the ES-Omega. Well, my pair has no issues.

12. The Es-Omega reminds me of a 007MK1 and a 009S compared to the OG Omega.

13. The Es-Omega has all the detail and frequency range as normal Stax.

Overall, 9/10 for the ES-Omega. It's pretty darn good.
20220405_134628.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #251 of 1,571
Slurp...Lovely pictures! Curious as to which estat amp you're pairing with the ES-Omega? From another review, it looks like the stock pads aren't that good and getting the extra pads is a must and it's significantly heavier than the SR007.

Another detail review from here: https://forum.headphones.com/t/eslab-es-1-alpha/5123/11

"Follow up to my impressions from yesterday, I figured out the pad attachment (which is incredibly stupid I might add), and tried the stock pads. These are way worse quality leather than the “dark” pads for some reason, and I think the leather quality is frankly not good enough for a headphone costing this much, but I digress.

While the “dark” pads leaned slightly bright and had some shout the stock pads just turned this up to 11. Never in my life have I heard such a shouty bright mess. In my opinion the stock pads are borderline unlistenable due to extremely excessive shout, a lack of bass and offensive levels of midtreble. How the creator can call these “neutral” is beyond me, unless your perception of neutral lies close to DF with midrange boost. It does appear to maintain it’s excellent technical ability with these pads though, but I see no reason whatsoever to use these over the “dark” pads. They are lower quality, way worse sounding and less comfortable too. I forced myself to listen for about 10 minutes but couldn’t do anymore, nothing sounded good."

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #252 of 1,571
@tamahome77

I have the 313, 717, and 006TS, all modded with the CCS mod. Not a fan of third-party amps. Overrated.

I have the copper cable, and, assuming dark pads ,the ones it came with. I need to see a pic of those two pads side by side? The OG is extremely comfortable and lightweight, about a 4+ knuckle surface. The ES-Omega is a 3+ knuckle surface and, again like the ES-R10, about 100g heavier. I find it pretty comfortable overall.
I'm somewhat sensitive to sibilance and treble. My Omega has no shout, no treble issue. And I do not hear anything like that?

The original Omega is not technically neutral.
The ES-Omega is also not neutral. Darker, with a touch of flavor, than being 100% neutral. It has great, bass, texture, and body.

I just did a side-by-side comparison of the 009. The 009 is known to be a bright headphone. And I find the 009 is brighter, aggressive, harsh, and forward. The ES-Omega is subdued in all categories while excelling in other parts like bass, texture, smoothness, etch...

Now it can be my amplifiers? All three of my amps are known to be on the warmer signature side than anything? I also have AKM dacs and R2R dacs.
Both the ES-R10 and ES-Omega are lovely in this track. I feel the rain and warmness of the night

:relaxed:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #253 of 1,571
Reading fully the post you gave me I agree with their reviews. Overall, the ES-Omega is an excellent headphone.

The dark pads is the one with the fabric
The bright pad is without the fabric.

As stated by the reviewer.

I have the dark pads with the fabric.
fd4560fb47a670e662808f6895e2851c34051949_2_1380x920.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #254 of 1,571
I am trying my hardest to stay out of this thread.. really trying lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back