ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 2, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #228 of 1,571
Yes it does. In my opinion- a terrible connector-- but it works- so maybe it does not matter.
2.5mm is worse... At least from a diy'ers perspective. Actually like the SMC connectors, the internal parts won't wear out from the headphone side. And they are small, so they are easily fitted inside any headphones without impacting the sound.

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #229 of 1,571
I just oiled up the ES-R10. It got rid of the glue smell and now the wood is shiny, polish and protected.
20220402_193752.jpg

I used https://www.petzkolophonium.com/sho...h-beeswax-and-pine-oil-500ml.html?language=en
Not recommended. 😀

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #230 of 1,571
Got a solid 5hrs on the ES-OMEGA

Its a electrostatic version of the ES-R10. No harshness, no treble spike or distortion.

ES-OMEGA vs ES-R10

Sound:
The Omega has more air, smoothness, openness, and more frequency range. It has a lot more energy. It is thinner in sound.
The R10 is more euphoric, natural, softer, and wet. It has more depth. It is thicker in sound.

The Omega responds extremely well to EQ. Almost perfectly. Bump a little bass, and this thing booms.
The R10 do not need EQ at all. Almost perfect without it.

Build:
They have a 90% identical OG built to them. Both are solid and crafted nice.

Overall, I prefer the R10, but the ones who wanted a silver cable and more energy the Omega has it.
20220403_000823.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #231 of 1,571
I just went back and forth between my silver OCC 24awg T2 cable and the stock cable. There is NO WAY that anyone would accept the stock cable VS the silver- period. The silver is so much clearer. The detail is noticeably crisper. If you think there is no "haze" or "veil" with the standard cable, when you move to silver, you will realize there was an enormous haze. Look- it may not be a "silver" vs "copper" issue as the reason for this for this enormous upgrade. It may be that a good copper cable would also do a wonderful job; but between the two options I have- the silver demolishes the stock... It is literally a different headphone..

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #232 of 1,571
Trying to decide between the Z1R and a pair of ES-R10~ Decisions decisions...

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #233 of 1,571
Trying to decide between the Z1R and a pair of ES-R10~ Decisions decisions...
The Z1R is fun and enjoyable. Not technical and accurate. The R10 is similar but more euphoric and interesting.

Get both 😀

Apr 3, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #235 of 1,571
The Z1R is fun and enjoyable. Not technical and accurate. The R10 is similar but more euphoric and interesting.

Get both 😀
I'll have to sell one of my kids... or both... 🤣

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #236 of 1,571
Try to get a used Z1R. It should be around $1100. Maybe a coin flip 🤔 which one for you.

Personally, I will go for the R10. It's pretty darn good. Almost excellent for the price and value for what you get. 👌

...it's better than Hifiman R10P that cost $5500 . Think about it 😇

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #237 of 1,571
Try to get a used Z1R. It should be around $1100. Maybe a coin flip 🤔 which one for you.

Personally, I will go for the R10. It's pretty darn good. Almost excellent for the price and value for what you get. 👌

...it's better than Hifiman R10P that cost $5500 . Think about it 😇
Yeah, price is a consideration. I am able to get a new Z1R for around $1200 here. Buying the R10 will incur shipping + taxes~ Torn between the two...

Apr 3, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #238 of 1,571
Can you link the website to this cable? The same one you have.
Here's the place: https://headphonelounge.com/

I ordered an 8 foot one too with the best silver he had, which is not the top level one. Good price. I'm not really a cable believer any more, but I needed something longer so thought I'd try it.

Listening more and switching back to SR1a and Utopia, I will say these compete at a very high level. I don't really see them needing more clarity and soundstage myself, like protoss. But that's in my system.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #239 of 1,571
I just went back and forth between my silver OCC 24awg T2 cable and the stock cable. There is NO WAY that anyone would accept the stock cable VS the silver- period. The silver is so much clearer. The detail is noticeably crisper. If you think there is no "haze" or "veil" with the standard cable, when you move to silver, you will realize there was an enormous haze. Look- it may not be a "silver" vs "copper" issue as the reason for this for this enormous upgrade. It may be that a good copper cable would also do a wonderful job; but between the two options I have- the silver demolishes the stock... It is literally a different headphone..

Hence the main reason I'm re-terminating my silver Statement cable. I've preferred silver over copper with all of my headphones so far. Where would you now say the ES R10 rates on technicalities vs other flagships, mainly in terms of transparency, resolution, esp micro detail, now with silver in the mix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back