ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #1,171 of 1,571
Although I love the headphone, I have to agree with you. No idea why the creator went that path. Would have liked the same socket/connect used in all the new Audio Technica. I think it some sort of MMC, sit flush, so pretty and practical.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #1,172 of 1,571
Although I love the headphone, I have to agree with you. No idea why the creator went that path. Would have liked the same socket/connect used in all the new Audio Technica. I think it some sort of MMC, sit flush, so pretty and practical.
My preference has become a good quality TRS 3.5mm. Or a TR 3.5. Easy, not expensive and does a good job.

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,173 of 1,571
The problem I have with the 3.5mm socket is it goes to deep into the cups and I'm sure it obstructing the back sound waves some how.
I'm OCD like that, but yeah would agree with you still better than the SMC connectors in terms of practicality.

Jul 29, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #1,174 of 1,571
The problem I have with the 3.5mm socket is it goes to deep into the cups and I'm sure it obstructing the back sound waves some how.
I'm OCD like that, but yeah would agree with you still better than the SMC connectors in terms of practicality.
It would be extremely minimal. I think it would be a non factor regarding sound waves if done correctly.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #1,175 of 1,571
Yes... this is the simplest solution to keeping to the OG design without making it a fixed line like OG I think.

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #1,176 of 1,571
Are your ears fitting inside of the pads of the ES R10?

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,177 of 1,571
No, they are on ear headphones and surprisingly comfortable for long hours listening. Without sweating, unless you live in warm climate.

Jul 30, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,178 of 1,571
No, they are on ear headphones and surprisingly comfortable for long hours listening. Without sweating, unless you live in warm climate.
That is the issue, hot here, even with an air conditioner. But I could survive it. I even find the HE90 hot at times.
-------------------

I have listened to the Sony R10. They sound is etched in my brain. So extremely good and enjoyable and surprising. But the fear has been for a number of years, the deterioration of the headphones, the foam and even the drivers breaking down. And so it goes. :^)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #1,179 of 1,571
I'm thinking about getting one of these. If I wanted to get a custom cable made, what kind of connectors on the headphone end should I be requesting to get one made for this headphone?

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,180 of 1,571
mini-SMC

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,181 of 1,571
I'm thinking about getting one of these. If I wanted to get a custom cable made, what kind of connectors on the headphone end should I be requesting to get one made for this headphone?
I ordered a pair and should have them next week. The connectors are what HiFiman used on their earlier headphones like the HE6 (you can even search for them using Hifiman cable connectors). Not very expensive and for larger cable, no bueno. But all doable and I am very much looking forward to these. I have listened to the MDR10 and have the sound tattooed in my brain, they were that good. But I am open to the sound of these and it should be fun! I will compare them to my Orpheus HE90. lol Not really, different presentation.

You can also ask ES labs about them. Here is a link to some in the US. https://www.moon-audio.com/hifiman-diy-headphone-connectors.html?sku=HiFiMan_DIY_Connectors

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #1,182 of 1,571
I ordered a pair and should have them next week. The connectors are what HiFiman used on their earlier headphones like the HE6 (you can even search for them using Hifiman cable connectors). Not very expensive and for larger cable, no bueno. But all doable and I am very much looking forward to these. I have listened to the MDR10 and have the sound tattooed in my brain, they were that good. But I am open to the sound of these and it should be fun! I will compare them to my Orpheus HE90. lol Not really, different presentation.
Awesome! Hope you like 'em. For me, they're actually much better than the OG for fast & heavy rock, at higher volumes. But for all other material, I think the loose guesstimates of "80 - 90% the OG's sound quality" is legit.

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #1,183 of 1,571
Awesome! Hope you like 'em. For me, they're actually much better than the OG for fast & heavy rock, at higher volumes. But for all other material, I think the loose guesstimates of "80 - 90% the OG's sound quality" is legit.
Are you using the stock cable? I will be curious how they to with my Twau cable from Whiplash, before they went out of business or the high purity silver from them. The Twau, I have to make up the Y connector but the silver is already done for the HE6 4 screw (the very original ones) so I will have silver or silver with the thin plating of gold (one of the best cables I have ever used).

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #1,184 of 1,571
Are you using the stock cable? I will be curious how they to with my Twau cable from Whiplash, before they went out of business or the high purity silver from them. The Twau, I have to make up the Y connector but the silver is already done for the HE6 4 screw (the very original ones) so I will have silver or silver with the thin plating of gold (one of the best cables I have ever used).
I swap between the stock XLR and a not-factory-terminated Silver Dragon 4.4mm, depending on which is more convenient for me at the time. When I focus on the differences the Silver Dragon is cleaner with a bit better clarity, but it's not a big deal to me either way. It's what I had available. I think a better cable than the SD might be interesting to try, for sure. Generally with interconnects and speaker cables, I prefer large gauge solid core pure silver.

I remember back in the day cable rolling HD650, and the SD never really blew me away then either - not like the Zu Mobius did!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #1,185 of 1,571
I swap between the stock XLR and a not-factory-terminated Silver Dragon 4.4mm, depending on which is more convenient for me at the time. When I focus on the differences the Silver Dragon is cleaner with a bit better clarity, but it's not a big deal to me either way. It's what I had available. I think a better cable than the SD might be interesting to try, for sure. Generally with interconnects and speaker cables, I prefer large gauge solid core pure silver.

I remember back in the day cable rolling HD650, and the SD never really blew me away then either - not like the Zu Mobius did!
I notice that ES says the ES R10 sound better single ended than balanced. Any opinion on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back