ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #588 of 1,571
I received 2 headphones today. I opened and listened to the Denon ah-d9200 for a couple of hours. This weekend, I will begin listening to the ES R10. That should make for an interesting comparison. My gold standard , and you may call it unfair because it is an open headphone and considerably more expensive, is the D8000 Pro from Final Audio.

I recognize it will be too soon for a true review, but I hope to provide some initial impressions of the ES R10, if not a brief comparison. here is hoping the ES R10 is as good as everybody says :wink:

In case folks are wondering, I have never heard the OG R10 so that's one opinion I cannot provide.

Audio chain will be amps (GS-X MK2 amp, Woo Audio WA5LE, Apex Teton), Oppo HA-1 DAC, and a laptop streaming Quboz, Tidal, and Youtube.

Some are interested in cables so I will also compare the stock to my Toxic Widow silver cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #589 of 1,571
I see. Well that's surely forgivable😅 (I have two setups thus😉).

Instead of the dekoni might I recommend a hard camera case/bag instead? Amazon must have something to suit your needs for sure👍

Attachments

• F75692F9-24C0-43FD-9626-8D141112BAD3.jpeg
    F75692F9-24C0-43FD-9626-8D141112BAD3.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #591 of 1,571
Apr 22, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #594 of 1,571
Not sure what other's thoughts are here...but these have been really hit and miss for me during the burn in process...some nights they sound meh...others nights absolutely incredible. Should have taken my own advice and let em burn in for a week nonstop before really listening, as I usually do.

"Take my advice-I don't use it."

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #595 of 1,571
Just came in. I usually know whether I will like a headphone in the first 15 minutes of listening. I will like these.

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #596 of 1,571
@Failed Engineer
15mins pass. What you think?

@BournePerfect
From your Headphone list. I will not be surprised if you sell it soon. Check out STAXs if you haven't.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #597 of 1,571
My headphone/gear list is probably 10 years old, not that I care. I will reserve final judgments on this headphone once I feel the burn in is complete, and I get my silver cable back. Not sure why you'd think Id sell it, especially since I said it does sound STELLAR from time to time. With that being said, I'm getting fairly accustomed to you placing your foot in your mouth every few posts as well, fyi. :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #599 of 1,571
Not sure what other's thoughts are here...but these have been really hit and miss for me during the burn in process...some nights they sound meh...others nights absolutely incredible. Should have taken my own advice and let em burn in for a week nonstop before really listening, as I usually do.

"Take my advice-I don't use it."
Definitely been up and down during burn in, as my brain adjusts to the sound among other things. It's the nature of this hobby. But it's been much more up than down. And they never really sound "meh" unless I really screw up the gear pairing (which is certainly part of the adjustment process). Still extremely impressed but how much I like their perspective. As mentioned, technical ability is much higher than HD650 / Grado level but not at ultra-fi level. But it's an extraordinary mix of beautiful presentation and competent technicalities. You get some of the cleanness and speed of a good electrostat setup. Not all of it, but some.

Silver cable increased clarity and detail by a noticeable amount for sure, but didn't transform the headphones. They're still really good with the stock cable. The cable doesn't change my opinion of them.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #600 of 1,571
Definitely been up and down during burn in, as my brain adjusts to the sound among other things. It's the nature of this hobby. But it's been much more up than down. And they never really sound "meh" unless I really screw up the gear pairing (which is certainly part of the adjustment process). Still extremely impressed but how much I like their perspective. As mentioned, technical ability is much higher than HD650 / Grado level but not at ultra-fi level. But it's an extraordinary mix of beautiful presentation and competent technicalities. You get some of the cleanness and speed of a good electrostat setup. Not all of it, but some.

Silver cable increased clarity and detail by a noticeable amount for sure, but didn't transform the headphones. They're still really good with the stock cable. The cable doesn't change my opinion of them.

Thanks for the impressions. Last night these sounded bay far the best I've heard em...just simply stellar. The two previous nights, eh, not so much, and I was back to listening to my always stellar AD2000s. I actually replaced my rectifier in my Studio B last night, but way too early to tell if that had any bearing or not-I need more time to evaluate. But so far so good.

Oh and by "meh" I mean just as a relative reference point from my usual perspective. I've heard plenty of ups and downs before during burn in (and often no change whatsoever, to appease the sceptics here), but these R10s tend to have the biggest ups and downs I've heard so far...but my rig is also probably more transparent and revealing than some past ones as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back