ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #571 of 1,571
By the way- I have no idea what the difference is between "sensitivity" and "impedance" and "ohm" as I am NOT technically minded- but whatever they mean- I have asked Miroslav to match the low setting on the CFA3 hybrid to the ES-R10 which I assume means impedance match. I am not sure anything can be done regarding the sensitivity issue.

Perhaps an attenuation switch on the CFA3 would be useful for the ES-R10

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #572 of 1,571
Sharing another perfect rendition. Cayin RU6 -> Woo Audio WA8 -> ES-R10

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #573 of 1,571
By the way- I have no idea what the difference is between "sensitivity" and "impedance" and "ohm" as I am NOT technically minded- but whatever they mean- I have asked Miroslav to match the low setting on the CFA3 hybrid to the ES-R10 which I assume means impedance match. I am not sure anything can be done regarding the sensitivity issue.

You should be set in that case. The CFA3 hybrid is going to allow the ES-R10 to open and really flex tightly. Great choice.

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #574 of 1,571

I believe "impedance" and "ohms" are roughly equivalent in this application (with electrostats it's more complicated, of course lol). Lower impedance headphones will draw more current (and thus power) at a given volume level. So all else being equal, lower impedance headphones will draw more power and produce more SPL at a given volume level for an amp. But then you have to factor in differing sensitivities: this means how much SPL a headphone produces for a reference amount of power (or voltage, or current - since these are all related).

At one end of the spectrum (well, not counting IEMs) you have low impedance (32 ohms), very high sensitivity headphones like most Grados. These require only very low volume positions on most amps to get loud. By comparison, the also 32 ohms ES-R10 is a bit less sensitive than Grados (going by my trials, not paper specs), but still quite sensitive by most standards. So I have to push the volume a little higher on ES R10 to match its volume to the Grado. Then we look at the Sennheiser HD650, at 300 ohms this means it's drawing almost 10x less power that Grado or ES R10 at the same volume level. So you have to push the volume a lot higher to match volume again. However, the Sennheiser is still quite sensitive - you're not pushing the volume higher because the HD650 is inefficient, you're pushing it higher because the 300 ohms doesn't draw as much power until you move the volume much higher. When you compare to AKG K340 at 400 ohms, you have to push the volume much much higher than just from the 300 to 400 ohms difference, because the K340 is also less sensitive than Grados, ES R10, and HD650.

Things change again with tube amps, because low impedance headphones no longer necessarily mean the amp is delivering more power into that load.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #575 of 1,571
You should be set in that case. The CFA3 hybrid is going to allow the ES-R10 to open and really flex tightly. Great choice.
Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I just confirmed with Miroslav that there will be gain settings on the amp. low enough to work well with the ES-R10 and he is on top of the matter. I always appreciate advice from experienced headfiers.

Apr 20, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #576 of 1,571
Sharing another perfect rendition. Cayin RU6 -> Woo Audio WA8 -> ES-R10

Try this track
73893BA6-069F-44CB-A385-52BFCAB829D8.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #577 of 1,571
Try this track
73893BA6-069F-44CB-A385-52BFCAB829D8.jpeg
Imaging is excellent. Treble is nigh perfectly executed. Bass beats are deep but kinda wish there was more impact (still, compared to the 800S, this is so much more present), zelkova timbre comes through. Vocals are beautiful but yeah.. mids seem to be the (relative) primary weakness, not saying it's bad, just weaker compared to its other components.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #578 of 1,571
I've had the iFi Pro iCan for years and haven't had the desire to get a new amp since acquiring it. It's incredibly versatile. I'm counting myself lucky that amp-lust hasn't hit me. I'm a humble public school teacher. :wink:

That's awesome to read, thanks! Swapping hardware and chasing the rabbit is the nature of this hobby, but it's always great seeing folks happy about stuff that serves them for years well enough to keep it and be happy. Thanks again and may your Pro iCAN serve you well :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back