ES-R10 closed back dynamic headphone Sony R10 Replica Discussion/Impressions
Mar 30, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #181 of 1,571
Can anyone post a pic of the driver itself? I'd be curious to see what's inside.
This is as far as I will go.
D54D9B33-DE32-460A-A62F-315FE8794384.jpegB90C79BD-7ECD-4819-82E5-01C64F8CDF21.jpegE7A0068C-8ED9-4332-9503-F237C7B98E29.jpeg

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #183 of 1,571
Awesome pics! It's hard to tell, but definitely looks like a biocell driver is tucked under the cover. He even went to the trouble of getting the metal protective cover on there.
Yes I’m sure it’s a bio cell driver. The guy making these have also serviced 25-26 pairs of original Sony MDR-R10, 3d copy the cups and everything. It’s as close to a 1:1 replica you can get.

I was thinking of maybe replacing the drivers with some CD3000 drivers from Sony, but not sure it’s worth the hassle. They sound so good with the drivers he have used now.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #184 of 1,571
I just finalized a small- but very significant upgrade to the ES-R10. My TC has a OCC silver litz cable made by Ted Allen- around $100 or so. This inexpensive cable is to my ears a very meaningful upgrade to the TC for a very small financial commitment. My R10 comparisons were with the stock R10 cable. I now placed the exact same silver OCC litz cable on the R10 and the results are stunning. My OG R10 from 15 years ago also had a silver cable installed in it- and I am now more confident than ever of the sonic similarity to the OG. With the R10 now on equal cable terms to my TC- I am in shock. This is around a tie. Equal but different. The detail and soundstage seems to have expanded on the R10 to the point of shock. Detail may have exceeded the TC at this point- I'm not joking. I need more time.

Whoever buys this headphone MUST get a $10 upgrade silver OCC cable from Ted Allen to bring the R10 to a new level........ Absolutely stunning!!!

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #185 of 1,571
I just finalized a small- but very significant upgrade to the ES-R10. My TC has a OCC silver litz cable made by Ted Allen- around $100 or so. This inexpensive cable is to my ears a very meaningful upgrade to the TC for a very small financial commitment. My R10 comparisons were with the stock R10 cable. I now placed the exact same silver OCC litz cable on the R10 and the results are stunning. My OG R10 from 15 years ago also had a silver cable installed in it- and I am now more confident than ever of the sonic similarity to the OG. With the R10 now on equal cable terms to my TC- I am in shock. This is around a tie. Equal but different. The detail and soundstage seems to have expanded on the R10 to the point of shock. Detail may have exceeded the TC at this point- I'm not joking. I need more time.

Whoever buys this headphone MUST get a $10 upgrade silver OCC cable from Ted Allen to bring the R10 to a new level........ Absolutely stunning!!!
I gotta get an upgraded cable now

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #186 of 1,571

....you know it's impossibile to remember a sound signature from 10 yearso ago...maybe the enjoyment..i seriousoly would be happy if the sound is going to be the same,but do a comparison against a headphone you don't own,at least no more..from my hopinion seem unreal

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #188 of 1,571
Got my set in today and I can say these are very, very good, hearing some magic. These may actually have aspects that are better than the original. I recall the highs could be piercing/fatiguing at times on the sets I had. Sound stage is incredible for a closed phone. Definitely need new cable, this one is short.

my chain for these: NAS (Roon)>PC(Linux/HQPlayer-DSD256)>RPi4(NAA)>Holo May KTE>Susy Dynahi

Mar 31, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #189 of 1,571
Got my set in today and I can say these are very, very good, hearing some magic. These may actually have aspects that are better than the original. I recall the highs could be piercing/fatiguing at times on the sets I had. Sound stage is incredible for a closed phone. Definitely need new cable, this one is short.

my chain for these: NAS (Roon)>PC(Linux/HQPlayer-DSD256)>RPi4(NAA)>Holo May KTE>Susy Dynahi
How long is the cable?

Mar 31, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #191 of 1,571
I think it's 5 feet.
That is a little short. I wonder if there would be an option to make it at least 6 or 8 feet.
Edit: I just looked again at his website and it states 2m. I have his ES1A e-stat headphones and sonically it is a very balanced sound between my 007mk1 and 009S. I am very tempted by the his ES-R10...anyone in the Toronto area who has a pair that I can give a listen to before putting my order in?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #192 of 1,571
I got to email him asap! Got to tell him to polish mine.

My omega and r10 hasn't shipped yet.
Fingers cross 🤞
So did they agree to polish your set? I'm holding off till this gets improved on else it'll bug me no end~

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #193 of 1,571
@justanut

Sadly no. They said not at the moment they will polish. So, I'm thinking they are not taking this concern as a priority at the moment.
I have the 2 headphones with me :) still in box. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I have time to open. Soo busy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back