Erzetich Charybdis
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #107 of 247
I'd say after 30 hours I hear a lot of openness but I have no issues with the treble which I find extended and detailed but not annoying. What headphone cable are you using? Have you tried different headphone cables?
Yes. The ZMF copper, an upgrade SPC and a pure silver. All sound great, but the copper seems to be the best match.
I'm still struggling how much the short cables (I never saw something like this before) on the headphone side make any difference in terms of cable switching.

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #108 of 247
cant wait for a GRAS or 5128 measurements for this.
Even with the measurements, I'll be curious to see how this stacks up to something like the Solitaire P.

Really not sure what to expect, I suppose.

This thing is similarly ugly (in my opinion) and weighs a metric ton, but I'm always chasing after the sound.
Hence why I own the 1266 TC along some of my other headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #109 of 247
Yes. The ZMF copper, an upgrade SPC and a pure silver. All sound great, but the copper seems to be the best match.
I'm still struggling how much the short cables (I never saw something like this before) on the headphone side make any difference in terms of cable switching.
Yes, with the cables that I have copper seems to be the best way. About cables lenght I can confirm what you wrote. I have experienced the same thing with Power cables when I started to do It by myself using neotech cables. In my case With shorter cables Better sound. I have no experience with headphones cables lenght but I think It should be the same

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #110 of 247
I'm listening to these headphones right now and I can't get over how good they are. My 1266's really feel threatened. The only thing the 1266 has better is the bass, everything else in the Charybids is at least as good.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #111 of 247
I tried again the old configuration I used with the Phobos with Heada + hybrid headphone cable but I confirm that in my case the best combination is with the luxman + copper headphone cable.
I am really satisfied. I've never tried other TOTLs of this level so I can't make comparisons. I leave this task to other users more experienced than me. From the comments it seems to me that it is there at the top with its peculiar characteristics.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #112 of 247
For me, the Charybdis is really great. Not as smooth as my Elite, but very close.
I’m using the N7 and Sp3k and I’m wondering, whether a warmer sounding DAP could also be an option. Like the Shanling M9plus or may be an AK SE300.
Any experiences/recommendations out there?

Aug 16, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #113 of 247
For me, the Charybdis is really great. Not as smooth as my Elite, but very close.
I’m using the N7 and Sp3k and I’m wondering, whether a warmer sounding DAP could also be an option. Like the Shanling M9plus or may be an AK SE300.
Any experiences/recommendations out there?
My dac Is a gustard R26. Maybe a R2R dac could be a good choice

Aug 19, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #115 of 247
Listened to a couple of very popular totl planar headphones after listening to electrostatics for many years and they didn't do anything for me.Listening the Erzetich Charybdis and had a wow moment which after many years in this hobby they don't come around too often.
These moments do get rarer the more you heard, that's certainly true.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #116 of 247
The unboxing:

1afeff5e-88c6-4e8b-9534-6d59e21a806e.jpegIMG_1328.jpegIMG_1329.jpegIMG_1331.jpegIMG_1332.jpeg

On my hands I immediately felt the substantial weight which is a big difference from my Susvara and Meze Elites. Wearing it doesn’t feel uncomfortable though, because the clamp is gentle and the weight is well-distributed. There’s some pressure on the base of the neck owing to the weight, and how people respond to that may be different. This is definitely heaps better than AB1266 fit and comfort.

The earrings don’t bother me. The cables look stronger and of better quality than the photos. In pictures, the cord of the earrings and stock cables looked like they’re covered in cloth that I was afraid would eventually fray but it is not the case in person. It’s actually covered in what looks like a nice transparent plastic that feels flexible and tough.

IMG_1339.jpeg
It’s now being burned in together with my new Linlai E300B tubes. Obviously I couldn’t resist but listen fresh out of the box. It does sound like a couple of steps up from the Meze Elite in technicality. There’s better detail retrieval, space and low end. And it sounds different enough to complement the Susvara. This does slot in somewhere between the AB1266 and Susvara but with the bonus of being easy to drive. This is just early impressions with no burn in yet. I will reserve the rest of my impressions until then.
1 - Beautiful gear!

2 - There are shag rugs on Alpha Centauri (surprising)

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #118 of 247
these headphones look cool but very heavy.

600-625g - Atrium Closed (Bimble Box)
640g - Abyss 1266
718g - Heddphone
740g - Charybdis
There will be the Heddphone V2 soon, for those that are interested in the sound but afraid of the weight (~500g)

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #119 of 247
I used to own the lcd xc - 700 grams and thats uncomfortable for me. Also the blackwood vo at 550grams feels heavy to me. The charybdis at 700grams amazingly felt comfortable and not heavy. Not sure why. Possible due to the nice soft pads and headband. Of course cannot be compared to the more comfortable empyrean and hd800s

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #120 of 247
I used to own the lcd xc - 700 grams and thats uncomfortable for me. Also the blackwood vo at 550grams feels heavy to me. The charybdis at 700grams amazingly felt comfortable and not heavy. Not sure why. Possible due to the nice soft pads and headband. Of course cannot be compared to the more comfortable empyrean and hd800s
I also find the Charybdis comfortable. As for the head and ears, I find the headband, the softness of the pads and the clamping adjustment excellent. As for the neck, 740 grams are felt and it depends on everyone's ability to bear the effort.
Having noticed the use of the past tense in your message out of curiosity I ask you if you still own the Charybdis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back