Erzetich Charybdis
Jun 14, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #76 of 275
Woo wa8 eclipse. I don’t think it gets any better than that for a portable (not really pocketable) all in one solution and it has glorious hot tube action. I had one and loved it. You could probably modify your headphone travel case to fit that in there too.

Cayin c9 seems like a pretty interesting option but no built in dac on it.

A xiaudio broadway is fairly small and can run like 6hrs on the internal batteries but it doesn’t have a dac so depends on your source situation on that one.

You can get as hardcore as you really want to with it, nobody said you can’t bring a smaller desktop setup with you. If I traveled constantly I might do the broadway plus a nice little dac and just get them a little pelican style case to travel with. I mean if you’re gonna be hardcore than might as well be as hardcore as possible lol.
Wanted to thank you for the eclipse recommendation. Got it last week and have been loving it with my dt1990 Pro, much better vs mojo. And got my charybdis today. The combo is another level. The power output is also more than enough for the charybdis. Loving it

Jun 14, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #77 of 275
Wanted to thank you for the eclipse recommendation. Got it last week and have been loving it with my dt1990 Pro, much better vs mojo. And got my charybdis today. The combo is another level. The power output is also more than enough for the charybdis. Loving it
Glad you like it. It’s a great amp, like a tiny portable wa7 just about some people say it’s better.

Jun 14, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #78 of 275
Are there more impressions floating around about these?

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #79 of 275
Are there more impressions floating around about these?
Yes please. And please a more critical one that the uber hype review that Soundnews does.

I was impressed by two headphones at Munich, the Charybdis being one of them, the other one was (of course) the HE-1.
I didn't enjoy the Aperio and felt that the Shangri La was underpowered, it was still great though.

I won't get one soon, since it seems that the 1266 covers the same direction in terms of sound (extremely technical with incredible bass and a very big soundstage).

Also: 740g (and i normally don't care for the weight)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #80 of 275
Yes please. And please a more critical one that the uber hype review that Soundnews does.

I was impressed by two headphones at Munich, the Charybdis being one of them, the other one was (of course) the HE-1.
I didn't enjoy the Aperio and felt that the Shangri La was underpowered, it was still great though.

I won't get one soon, since it seems that the 1266 covers the same direction in terms of sound (extremely technical with incredible bass and a very big soundstage).

Also: 740g (and i normally don't care for the weight)

Heavy but more confortable and easy to wear than abyss.
I sell my abyss for a DCA stealth, I try Charybdis, immediately sell my DCA for him !!! Impressive !!! an abyss easy to use ! for half the price !!
And easy to drive.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #81 of 275
Well, the DCA headphones have zero dynamics, so that's that. The 1266 does something unique that no other headphone can, it is the master of dynamics while being one of the two most detailed headphones (exluding the three ridiculous expensive systems). I would love to read more than "it's really good", what's the bass / midrange / treble like? How hard can it punch? Are the weird connectors dangling down annoying? Does the 740g create a hotspot on the head after 4h of use? Have you tried it on different sources and how does it change, if at all? Are there some unexpected quirks in the frequency range? Does it have a WOW factor? What genres does it pair well with and what not? And so on...

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #82 of 275
I use my charybdis on Viva845
I own Yam HE 5000 / Susvara and Elite
More fun sound than sus. Deep bass, huge soundstage, lot of impact and details not so sharp than the Yam
Less polished than Sus, but much more easy to drive.
It's a joyfull HP.

Heavy, personnaly I heard lot of classical and pieces are long so I heard it on my stressless in elongated position. But It is marvelous. I don't hesitate 10mn in front off DCA stealth.

I love Yam as it is a sharp and clear, so sharp that we have incredible presence of instrument and you hear everything include the resonance of the instrument itself , It is also a fast HP and you hear the transient perfectly and details of piano touch for example.. A pure realism HP clear and you can hear it with low volume. I love it to approach technical perfection of artist and on some piano piece he made the difference.

I love Sus for elegance, timbre and overall signature, but he need sometimes too much power to full-fill realism on some music. I can hear him allthe times but sometimes I want to be shaken.

In this case the charybdis is what you need !!! You will have a mini sus with punch !

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #83 of 275
I use my charybdis on Viva845
I own Yam HE 5000 / Susvara and Elite
More fun sound than sus. Deep bass, huge soundstage, lot of impact and details not so sharp than the Yam
Less polished than Sus, but much more easy to drive.
It's a joyfull HP.

Heavy, personnaly I heard lot of classical and pieces are long so I heard it on my stressless in elongated position. But It is marvelous. I don't hesitate 10mn in front off DCA stealth.

I love Yam as it is a sharp and clear, so sharp that we have incredible presence of instrument and you hear everything include the resonance of the instrument itself , It is also a fast HP and you hear the transient perfectly and details of piano touch for example.. A pure realism HP clear and you can hear it with low volume. I love it to approach technical perfection of artist and on some piano piece he made the difference.

I love Sus for elegance, timbre and overall signature, but he need sometimes too much power to full-fill realism on some music. I can hear him allthe times but sometimes I want to be shaken.

In this case the charybdis is what you need !!! You will have a mini sus with punch !
How would you describe the differences to the Elite (which I own).

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #84 of 275
How would you describe the differences to the Elite (which I own).
More detail, better instrument separation, better dynamics ... It's a grown up Elite ...

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #86 of 275
Ordered. So, I’ll then have the Elite, HE1000V2 stealth, ZMF VC and the Charybdis on stage.
Let’s see, which one (or two) HPs will stay.
Is there a He1000V2 stealth?
Or do you also have the stealth?

The two keepers will most likely be Elite + VC
Unless you meant you have the Stealth then Elite + Stealth.

Let's see how wrong my prediction will be :)

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #88 of 275
Hi Thanatos, can I ask in wich occasion you tried charybdis and for how long time you tried It? Thank you
Unfortunately only a very Brief audition at Munich High End.

It was at the first day of the Event, at the time we weren't able to select the music and had to listen to whatever was playing at the booth.
Therefore my audition results are non conclusive and I want to audition them again.

Build and comfort were "ok", while the ZMFs and Mezes look and feel more refined.
I think this will be similar too Raal, you either like it or not.

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #89 of 275
Unfortunately only a very Brief audition at Munich High End.

It was at the first day of the Event, at the time we weren't able to select the music and had to listen to whatever was playing at the booth.
Therefore my audition results are non conclusive and I want to audition them again.

Build and comfort were "ok", while the ZMFs and Mezes look and feel more refined.
I think this will be similar too Raal, you either like it or not.

Reading your previous messages I was sure it was the munich hi end. IMHO it's hard to make a judgment in conditions like the munich hi end. In my opinion, you have to test the equipment in your own system which is often much more refined (just think of the power plant). Also I think the headphone amp match is key but the whole chain is essential at these levels. I tried the charybdis in comparison with my phobos and it really amazed me with its fluidity and transparency. It wasn't a test in my system though. I should receive the charybdis shortly and we will see the real result. 😃

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #90 of 275
Reading your previous messages I was sure it was the munich hi end. IMHO it's hard to make a judgment in conditions like the munich hi end. In my opinion, you have to test the equipment in your own system which is often much more refined (just think of the power plant). Also I think the headphone amp match is key but the whole chain is essential at these levels. I tried the charybdis in comparison with my phobos and it really amazed me with its fluidity and transparency. It wasn't a test in my system though. I should receive the charybdis shortly and we will see the real result. 😃
I totally agree here.
Even bigger was the issue of the totally unknown music that was playing.
I can't really Evaluate their sound yet, and that's why they remain on the audition list.

However since the other aspects are only "ok" they really need to deliver on the sound more than my other cans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back