Erzetich Charybdis
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #226 of 229
I was wondering if there are also separate pads available for the Erzetich Charybdis with an audible improvement.
not that the current pads are bad, but an adjustment by, for example, curved pads might really improve the signal flow
There are, not curved pads but Velours and Leather (standard)

https://shop.erzetich-audio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=108&search=Pad

https://shop.erzetich-audio.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=107&search=Pad

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #227 of 229
I was wondering if there are also separate pads available for the Erzetich Charybdis with an audible improvement.
not that the current pads are bad, but an adjustment by, for example, curved pads might really improve the signal flow
The pads used in Charybdis are 110mm diameter (I asked the mfr). That means any number of aftermarket pads can be used. However, pad rolling outside the manufacturer's product set is risky ... those of us who pad roll much find this out the hard way. The farther one diverges (in choice of aftermarket pads) from the mfr's stock pad design, the more potential for sonic chaos there is.

The stock pads appear to be non-perforated, non-angled, and relatively deep (I'm guessing ~1 1/8" to 1 1/4" deep). So if I owned this headphone and was trying to pad roll it, I'd probably start with something like:
  • Brainwavz XL suedes, just to see if a different pad material made a positive change
  • One of Dekoni's angled sheepskin pads, just to see if even a slight degree of angling helps or hurts the sound
  • One of Dekoni's angled velour pads, dimensions of which are identical to the angled sheepskins (I bought a pair of these for my Caldera. They're physically beautiful, well made pads):
  • Then getting more adventurous, I'd try the Caldera Lambskin Thicks--adventurous because these are perforated:
(the 2nd listed pad option would probably be the what I tried first w/the Charybdis)

One of the unknowns here concerns the interior foam. This can have quite an effect on sound, too, but I have no idea how any of the pads linked above compare to the foam in the Charybdis' stock pads.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #228 of 229
De pads die in Charybdis worden gebruikt, hebben een diameter van 110 mm (ik heb het aan de fabrikant gevraagd). Dat betekent dat een willekeurig aantal aftermarket-pads kan worden gebruikt. Padrollen buiten de productset van de fabrikant is echter riskant... degenen onder ons die veel padrollen, komen hier op de harde manier achter. Hoe verder men afwijkt (in de keuze van aftermarket-pads) van het standaardpadontwerp van de fabrikant, hoe groter de kans op sonische chaos.

De standaard pads lijken niet-geperforeerd, niet-hoekig en relatief diep te zijn (ik vermoed ~ 1 1/8 "tot 1 1/4" diep). Dus als ik deze hoofdtelefoon zou bezitten en hem zou proberen op te rollen, zou ik waarschijnlijk beginnen met zoiets als:
  • Brainwavz XL suède , gewoon om te zien of een ander zeemmateriaal een positieve verandering teweegbracht
  • Een van Dekoni's schuine schapenvachtpads, gewoon om te zien of zelfs maar een kleine mate van kantelen het geluid helpt of schaadt
  • Een van Dekoni's schuine velours kussentjes , waarvan de afmetingen identiek zijn aan de schuine schapenvachten (ik heb er een paar gekocht voor mijn Caldera. Het zijn fysiek mooie, goed gemaakte kussentjes):
  • Om dan avontuurlijker te worden, zou ik de Caldera Lambskin Thicks proberen - avontuurlijk omdat deze geperforeerd zijn:
(de tweede vermelde padoptie zou waarschijnlijk degene zijn die ik als eerste probeerde met de Charybdis)

Een van de onbekenden hier betreft het binnenschuim. Dit kan ook een behoorlijk effect hebben op het geluid, maar ik heb geen idee hoe een van de hierboven gekoppelde pads zich verhoudt tot het schuim in de standaardpads van Charybdis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back