Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 18, 2024 at 2:42 AM Post #9,706 of 9,892
Just some mode details. I made some assumptions there based on what I read about VT60 and what I have observed as internal construction. My ATS25 (the one UT bought) has some construction elements I was able to recognize in other GEC tubes I have in my collection. I also observed that some of the sound of ATS25 reminds me of GEC L63 grey glass. But I have never listened to the one many call here Cossor VT60 (that round plate version). Might be the same or not, I have no idea, I gave the advice to @UntilThen to buy the one I have since that one has for sure the sound he searches for. For the other, I have 1 piece around here and if I'll find a second one I will compare them. I expect they are the same but since I do not know this, I advised based on what I know.

By the way @crakers7 since you both live in the same country, it would be cool to switch between you those pairs and tell us if indeed sound the same.
ok thanks , I have VT60 and ATS25 are on there way , I think at the moment I have about 7 or 8 different types of 807 tube . At the moment my favourite is the 5933 type, of which I have both Phillips and Sylvania but I haven't listened to them all properly yet
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.40.53 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 2.42.02 PM.png

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #9,707 of 9,892
ok thanks , I have VT60 and ATS25 are on there way , I think at the moment I have about 7 or 8 different types of 807 tube . At the moment my favourite is the 5933 type, of which I have both Phillips and Sylvania but I haven't listened to them all properly yet

Holy smoke. A true tube collector.

Apr 18, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #9,708 of 9,892
Then you are my best friend when you tell me if Cossor VT-60 sounds the same as GEC ATS25. Please do this.

If you like Sylvania 5933 keep in mind there is a tube not many know or use, but which I liked it a lot in the past (haven't listened to it in 2 years):

1713422775632.png

This tube is a Sylvania 6CA7 (EL34 equivalent) which should work natively on your amps. If I remember correctly sounds like a kind of EL34 with Sylvania more neutral signature, combining a relaxed tube type sound with a more sharper and focused brand sound. A Sylvania with more bass? An EL34 more sharp? I will let you tell me. I have no idea what prices have these now, they were used in some guitar amps I think, but for me this is a cool tube.

And another hint, the 5933 has a "brother" tube called 5932 which has no top cap, works directly on your amp and in my view sounds close or the same (not sure about this) with 5933. Here is the 5932:

1713423004776.png

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #9,711 of 9,892
Then you are my best friend when you tell me if Cossor VT-60 sounds the same as GEC ATS25. Please do this.

If you like Sylvania 5933 keep in mind there is a tube not many know or use, but which I liked it a lot in the past (haven't listened to it in 2 years):

This tube is a Sylvania 6CA7 (EL34 equivalent) which should work natively on your amps. If I remember correctly sounds like a kind of EL34 with Sylvania more neutral signature, combining a relaxed tube type sound with a more sharper and focused brand sound. A Sylvania with more bass? An EL34 more sharp? I will let you tell me. I have no idea what prices have these now, they were used in some guitar amps I think, but for me this is a cool tube.

And another hint, the 5933 has a "brother" tube called 5932 which has no top cap, works directly on your amp and in my view sounds close or the same (not sure about this) with 5933. Here is the 5932:

I will let you know how they sound but it will be a few weeks , I am away at work until early May . Wow the 807 family is a big one !!

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #9,713 of 9,892
Sheeesh - I hope I got the names of mine right LOL. What I call the 'Whisper' is amazingly competent - even next to the 'Mini Gold' Ultimate. I'm sure the right headphone would present the Whisper a challenge, but most of my headphones are efficient enough to sound amazing on the small single-stage amp.

I don't think Eric supplies amps with tubes he'd consider duds, so I'm confident that I don't need to worry much about rolling as long as I'm happy with the sound that was delivered.

Both the Whisper and Mini Gold are picking up RF strongly in my house. Still need to figure that out. I added more WiFi signal to the house, so that doesn't help.

Anyone have a favorite Amp -> Headphone pairing? Currently my two are Mini-Gold->Austrian Audio 'The Composer' and Whisper->Campfire Audio 'Black Star'
Regarding RF interference I had success moving my router farther from the amp, and also found that high amplification factor tubes were more susceptible to it. Good luck sorting this out! 🙏

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #9,715 of 9,892
Regarding RF interference I had success moving my router farther from the amp, and also found that high amplification factor tubes were more susceptible to it. Good luck sorting this out! 🙏

I don't think the problem is with Ultimate because my router is right at the foot of the rack but I get no interference now.

With RF, I had strange experience with Felix Audio Elise too. A friend visited me and we were listening in my room. The TV is on in the lounge which is a few walls away. Both of us could hear the TV program from the HD600 we were listening to. We look at each other in surprise. However it was that one time only. I could not get that experience again. :wink:

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #9,716 of 9,892
After a few days of Philips EC86 and Philips 807, I am on Mullard ECC34 and Mullard EL38 now. Heavens help me because whatever tubes you throw at Ultimate and it just shines for you. There are more than 7 colours of rainbow in Ultimate. More like a 1000. :relaxed:

Mullard ECC34 is warmer than the neutral leaning Philips EC86. It's a nice change.

Meanwhile the GEC 807 ATS25 is on it's way by Fedex and will arrive on the 29th April.

The masterpiece and I'm proud to own it.

IMG_9175.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #9,717 of 9,892
Sheeesh - I hope I got the names of mine right LOL. What I call the 'Whisper' is amazingly competent - even next to the 'Mini Gold' Ultimate. I'm sure the right headphone would present the Whisper a challenge, but most of my headphones are efficient enough to sound amazing on the small single-stage amp.

I don't think Eric supplies amps with tubes he'd consider duds, so I'm confident that I don't need to worry much about rolling as long as I'm happy with the sound that was delivered.

Both the Whisper and Mini Gold are picking up RF strongly in my house. Still need to figure that out. I added more WiFi signal to the house, so that doesn't help.

Anyone have a favorite Amp -> Headphone pairing? Currently my two are Mini-Gold->Austrian Audio 'The Composer' and Whisper->Campfire Audio 'Black Star'

In the short time, you're already the owner of 2 iconic McChanson amps. Whisper is the name and it's whisper quiet. Name was actually chosen by @Zachik who was the first to own the Whisper.

I love all my Grados with Whisper. A naturally beautiful pairing. Whisper is good with IEMs too. :)

I was also very impressed with 6P14P (EL84) and 6P15P (EL83) in Whisper. I preferred 6P15P.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/eric-mcchanson-headphone-amp.718350/post-17569686

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #9,718 of 9,892
I’ve been listening to the EL34 tubes for a few days now. Paired with a Mazda 81 rectifier and KenRad 6C5 metal bodies. The EL34 has a rich texture, very full bass, and a smooth and present high end. Very lovely! Going to be hard pulling these to roll other output tubes😳😂

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpeg
    IMG_6583.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6592.jpeg
    IMG_6592.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #9,719 of 9,892
I’ve been listening to the EL34 tubes for a few days now. Paired with a Mazda 81 rectifier and KenRad 6C5 metal bodies. The EL34 has a rich texture, very full bass, and a smooth and present high end. Very lovely! Going to be hard pulling these to roll other output tubes😳😂

EL34 is the successor tube of EL38 and EL39. You've described the EL34 tone very well and that is a lovely pair of Philips Miniwatt EL34 double O getters?

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #9,720 of 9,892
EL34 is the successor tube of EL38 and EL39. You've described the EL34 tone very well and that is a lovely pair of Philips Miniwatt EL34 double O getters?
Thank you Matt. Yes, they are a pair of XF2 OO getters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back