Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #9,721 of 9,892
I don't think the problem is with Ultimate because my router is right at the foot of the rack but I get no interference now.

With RF, I had strange experience with Felix Audio Elise too. A friend visited me and we were listening in my room. The TV is on in the lounge which is a few walls away. Both of us could hear the TV program from the HD600 we were listening to. We look at each other in surprise. However it was that one time only. I could not get that experience again. :wink:
I had a similar experience like this with my Darkvoice, but was picking up a radio station and with nothing playing with volume all the way up, I could actually listen to the program, albiet, was soft in volume.. I went a bit crazy trying to figure out what was causing it as it never happened before and I couldn't enjoy music with it being picked up.

Finally, after hours of banging my head against the wall troubleshooting, it was the mains power cord, where it was laying on the floor, I kid you not! For some reason, there is a very specific spot on the floor in my room that if the mains AC cord lays there, it must act as antenna and pick up the radio waves of that single station just good enough to get a pretty clear broadcast :joy:

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #9,722 of 9,892
I had a similar experience like this with my Darkvoice, but was picking up a radio station and with nothing playing with volume all the way up, I could actually listen to the program, albiet, was soft in volume.. I went a bit crazy trying to figure out what was causing it as it never happened before and I couldn't enjoy music with it being picked up.

Finally, after hours of banging my head against the wall troubleshooting, it was the mains power cord, where it was laying on the floor, I kid you not! For some reason, there is a very specific spot on the floor in my room that if the mains AC cord lays there, it must act as antenna and pick up the radio waves of that single station just good enough to get a pretty clear broadcast :joy:
Amazing!🤔😳

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #9,723 of 9,892

So, that is why people have been using small wooden blocks to lift any cables from the floor... :thumbsup:

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #9,724 of 9,892

Looks like I'm not the only one with this strange phenomenal. I think I had an extraterrestrial encounter but I couldn't replicate it anymore.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #9,725 of 9,892
I actually prefer the Russian EL 34 Sed from St.Peterburg for the EL34.
The Sophia Electric is okay for bright systems but not for Ultimate, unfortunately it has a slight haze in it due to the dark tone.
Today I paired the EL34 Sed with the Russian Reflektor 6SL7 and it was really powerful, full of meat, great voices.
I really liked it and hope to get my hands on a good pair of Nos tubes one day.
The EL34 Sed from St.Petersburg is worth the money compared to the Sophia Electric.
https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/el34-svetlana-winged-c-nos-matched-pair/
It was also very good in the Euforia amplifier.

KT63 Gec is one quieter than the other, I'll probably have to send them back and get a new pair.
Unfortunately there are no more in the beautiful black glass, so I'll have to go for the slightly lighter version.
However yesterday I found a pair in Europe NIB for 70€ that I bought as a replacement one day.
The sound is very good so far, the quiet tube unfortunately spoils the fun a bit, you notice something doesn't fit 100% together.
I think the one Kt63 has probably used up its cycle.
In the end it's a bit of bad luck, and unfortunately that's part of it, I hope Langerex will be accommodating.
All the other tubes I order are super otherwise and satisfied.

Adapters for EL38 have been ordered, I'm looking forward to unpacking my Phillips and listening to Ultimate.
I can't wait to hear how they sound.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #9,726 of 9,892
I actually prefer the Russian EL 34 Sed from St.Peterburg for the EL34.

So now you need to compare the Russian EL34 Sed with Mullard EL34 metal base, Mullard EL34 double D getters brown base and Mullard EL34 double O getters or even Mullard EL34 single O getter.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #9,727 of 9,892
Some days I like it bright, other days I like it warmer. My ears are temperamental. Now GEC L63 and Mullard EL38 is to my ears as good as it gets. :relaxed:

The thing with GEC is that it is not bright nor too warm. It's just right ! In the words of Lory, the hype is real. :relaxed:

IMG_9176.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #9,728 of 9,892
So now you need to compare the Russian EL34 Sed with Mullard EL34 metal base, Mullard EL34 double D getters brown base and Mullard EL34 double O getters or even Mullard EL34 single O getter.

Yes, that's probably true.
But I refuse to pay these prices.
It's almost too much for me to pay $400-600 in some places for a pair that might even be used.
In fact, I don't look for these things, and rather run into them.
Like the KT63, if I had found them sooner I would have taken 2 pairs instead of buying them from England.

Apr 18, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #9,729 of 9,892
Yes, that's probably true.
But I refuse to pay these prices.
It's almost too much for me to pay $400-600 in some places for a pair that might even be used.
In fact, I don't look for these things, and rather run into them.
Like the KT63, if I had found them sooner I would have taken 2 pairs instead of buying them from England.

Just stirring you up. :relaxed:

To put things in perspective, a single 6BX7 in gEm sound just as stellar. I like it too when tubes are cheap and sound exceptional but it is amp dependent.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #9,730 of 9,892
I wouldn't disagree, depending on the amp some tubes are a real can opener.
In fact I found a shop that sells Mullard EL34's for a good price, I will look into it again when the time comes and buy a nice pair if they are still in stock.
I've spent a bit on them this month but I'm very happy with them apart from the Kt63 pair which I'm sure can be sorted out.

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #9,731 of 9,892
1) Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base
2) Philips Miniwatt EL34 double D getters brown base
3) Philips Miniwatt EL34 double O getters black base

Within these 3 Miniwatts, the tone is quite different.

They are all romantic and lush but 1) is more neutral and tighter. 2) and 3) are more lush and warmer. 2) is just so much better than 3). I had all 3 but have sold off 3) to @Leicachamp.

I had also own RFT EL34 with dimple top. This is cheapest of the 4 but I like it. It's more neutral and tighter like the metal base but naturally not as good as the metal base.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #9,734 of 9,892
Apr 19, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #9,735 of 9,892
When GEC 807 comes, I want to see if it's in the same league as the Fab 4. :relaxed:
After you paid for your 807 tubes from NOS audio tubes (Electronicsmen) did they send you an email asking for another $50 for postage ? They just did that to me !! I told them "no way , cancel my order " , bloody annoying !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back