Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #9,676 of 9,892
My head slowly needs a break. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
I have tested 6V6 Mullard and 6K6 Sylvania.
Rectifier and driver tube remained the same.

6V6 Mullard: Amazingly good tube, was a bit bright in tone and could have been a bit warmer for my taste.
Plays very transparent, open and detailed and also very powerful.
Could benefit a little more oommpppff with 6SL7/5751 instead of 12AT7.
However, I can imagine that the Brimar Yellow T or even Footscray would fit well, as well as a slightly softer rectifier tube.
The midrange was very clear and distinct, the treble is a bit sharp, but I think the right pairing will do the trick.
All in all a very good 6V6 for Ultimate, I also think that it will probably work even better with the Mundorf than with the Vcap CuTF.
Because it will also help to play a little less sharp and a little warmer and detailed enough as well.

Sylvania 6K6:
Ouufff, I was expecting something from it but it has put the 6V6 Mullard in its place for me if I'm honest.
Especially if you listen to the 6V6 and then listen to the 6K6 you will hear direct differences.
It immediately plays more direct, dynamic, liquid, deep and far into the stage without the mid-range and vocals seeming out of place.
The vocals remain focussed and direct and the rest of the music caresses and massages everything around it.
In addition to the Visseaux, this is another pair that is absolutely worth the money.
Smoother is probably still possible with a 12Au7, the 13D9 Brimar brings a lot of amplification here that is already over at below 9 o'clock pot position.
Powerful tube for little money and very underrated.
6K6 should have received more attention because they play very strongly.
Partly better than high-calibre 6V6 tubes which are overpriced.

13D9 Brimar:
Since she was inside the whole time and was able to gain some knowledge.
It plays extremely clearly and distinctly, with very good bass, right into the sub-bass range.
The midrange is very emotional and smooth, you can close your eyes and feel the vocals.
The treble is slightly sharp, and I think it's down to the EZ81 Rft tickling out the last few Hz.
It will certainly be better with a softer Ez rectifier tube, and perhaps play a little creamier with a 6BW4.
All in all, the Brimar 13D9 is a strong driver tube, and reminds me a lot of the B309 in terms of sound. You should buy one while they're cheap, and they are a bit rare, the good thing is that very few people have them on the shelf.
I will buy another one in stock when I get the chance.

Overall very happy with the purchase, all tubes have not caused any problems so far.
And for the collection they are all an enrichment, each pair in its own way.
I'm also starting to have a good selection of output tubes alongside the driver tubes for every suitable moment.
I have a pair Tung Sol 6K6GT that I like.

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #9,678 of 9,892
YES the Tung Sol are really strong, I love them.
They are nice and round in tone.
Unfortunately, it turns out that my pair is still buzzing.
I suspect the solder is too old, even though I heated it up.
Need another pair.

I have several 6K6 here is a list:
6K6 Tung Sol sounds the most round in tone, while Visseaux is the most musical.
Ken Rad sounds the most neutral and almost slightly sterile.
Fivre is more neutral than Nec, while Nec offers a mixture of neutral and round sound.
I only listened to the Sylvania briefly yesterday and they are also very good.
Slightly less round than Tungsol but more powerful and transparent.

Yesterday I tested my 2nd pair of Visseaux with the Tungsol 6SL7 Gt Blackglass, and it was an instant foot tapper, very musical, round, strong bass, really nice in the vocals with a lot of atmosphere.
I liked it very much.

Currently running on Ultimate Kt63 Gec with 6SL7 GT Tungsol and Ez81 RFt sounds more pleasant than with Brimar 13D9,a bit warmer and quieter and warmer and not so sharp at the top end.
I put the EL34 Svetlana in the Euforia to play in with the 6sn7 Tad and am surprised by the good sound.
Sounds really good, better than with 6080 or 6AS7G tubes.
Absolutely clean, smooth, open, transparent, I like it.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #9,679 of 9,892
YES the Tung Sol are really strong, I love them.
They are nice and round in tone.
Unfortunately, it turns out that my pair is still buzzing.
I suspect the solder is too old, even though I heated it up.
Need another pair.

I have several 6K6 here is a list:
6K6 Tung Sol sounds the most round in tone, while Visseaux is the most musical.
Ken Rad sounds the most neutral and almost slightly sterile.
Fivre is more neutral than Nec, while Nec offers a mixture of neutral and round sound.
I only listened to the Sylvania briefly yesterday and they are also very good.
Slightly less round than Tungsol but more powerful and transparent.

Yesterday I tested my 2nd pair of Visseaux with the Tungsol 6SL7 Gt Blackglass, and it was an instant foot tapper, very musical, round, strong bass, really nice in the vocals with a lot of atmosphere.
I liked it very much.

Currently running on Ultimate Kt63 Gec with 6SL7 GT Tungsol and Ez81 RFt sounds more pleasant than with Brimar 13D9,a bit warmer and quieter and warmer and not so sharp at the top end.
I put the EL34 Svetlana in the Euforia to play in with the 6sn7 Tad and am surprised by the good sound.
Sounds really good, better than with 6080 or 6AS7G tubes.
Absolutely clean, smooth, open, transparent, I like it.
There is another trick you can try with buzzy tubes. Take the 6.3V tube and leave it on for one minute at 12V - might help…

Apr 17, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #9,680 of 9,892
Eric ask me if I could tell whether a pentode or beam tetrode sound better. This is my reply to him.

Hi Eric,

These are the following Pentodes:-
EL34
EL38
EL39
EL12 spez
6V6
6F6
EL84

These are the following Beam Tetrodes:-
KT88
KT66
6L6

You cannot just determine whether Pentodes or Beam Tetrodes sound better. If you are blind folded, you cannot tell if it's a pentode or beam tetrode but you can tell what tube it is if you've heard them for a very long time.
For example I can clearly tell EL34 apart from 6L6 or 807.
Clearly there are favourites amongst both Pentodes and Beam Tetrodes for me personally. From the list up there I love them all and I have very good NOS tubes like the GEC KT88 and the genuine Tung Sol 6550 from the 1960s.
I also have Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base, Philips Miniwatt EL34 double D getters brown base. I also have Telefunken EL12 spez. These are all expensive now and very desirable.
What is distinguishable is that each of these power tubes are unique in their sound. No 2 of them sound the same. Even between 6L6 and 807 - they are supposed to be close cousins.

Pentodes were patented by RCA. Europe then came up with Beam Tetrodes so as not to infringe on patents. Later on when the pentode patent runs out, you will find manufacturers calling them Beam Pentodes.

Diode, Triode, Tetrode and Pentode are Greek words meaning 2, 3, 4, 5 ways. :)

Cheers
Matt

Apr 17, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #9,682 of 9,892
Sheeesh - I hope I got the names of mine right LOL. What I call the 'Whisper' is amazingly competent - even next to the 'Mini Gold' Ultimate. I'm sure the right headphone would present the Whisper a challenge, but most of my headphones are efficient enough to sound amazing on the small single-stage amp.

I don't think Eric supplies amps with tubes he'd consider duds, so I'm confident that I don't need to worry much about rolling as long as I'm happy with the sound that was delivered.

Both the Whisper and Mini Gold are picking up RF strongly in my house. Still need to figure that out. I added more WiFi signal to the house, so that doesn't help.

Anyone have a favorite Amp -> Headphone pairing? Currently my two are Mini-Gold->Austrian Audio 'The Composer' and Whisper->Campfire Audio 'Black Star'

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #9,683 of 9,892
Both the Whisper and Mini Gold are picking up RF strongly in my house. Still need to figure that out. I added more WiFi signal to the house, so that doesn't help.
Have you ever tried isolating the possible source(s) which are impacting your amps the most? Could power off all of your in home electronic devices like the WiFi router(s) which you suspect could be causing the RF noise, then, power them on one at a time, listen, and maybe you'll confirm the main culprit(s) and make a plan on how to address it. Probably would be easier once you confirm this.

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #9,684 of 9,892
Probably a silly question but what makes the 6AS7/6080 type tube incompatible with UltimatE amps ? I’m still learningl 😬👍

Apr 17, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #9,685 of 9,892
Sheeesh - I hope I got the names of mine right LOL. What I call the 'Whisper' is amazingly competent - even next to the 'Mini Gold' Ultimate. I'm sure the right headphone would present the Whisper a challenge, but most of my headphones are efficient enough to sound amazing on the small single-stage amp.

I don't think Eric supplies amps with tubes he'd consider duds, so I'm confident that I don't need to worry much about rolling as long as I'm happy with the sound that was delivered.

Anyone have a favorite Amp -> Headphone pairing? Currently my two are Mini-Gold->Austrian Audio 'The Composer' and Whisper->Campfire Audio 'Black Star'
I have my stack of audio gear + Macbook Air plugged into a balanced transformer filter and that is plugged into a separate power circuit. The MBA and 2 ipads and my iphone use RF wireless connections and are within 6-12 inches of my Ultimate Mini and I am free of noise ( knock on wood 😉 ). After your research per @g0ldl10n ‘s excellent suggestion, if you can plug devices into a different AC wall outlet than your amp and check for noise. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_6513.jpeg
    IMG_6513.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #9,686 of 9,892

If you look back on my initial evaluation of Ultimate, I mention that the amp is prone to RF interference. When I put my iphone next to it to take pictures I can hear the interference clearly.

Somehow strangely that all went away after a few months. Now I can put my phone next to it and there's no interference at all.

Subsequently all the new Ultimates that I tested have no such interference.

I don't have a power filter. Never needed one even with 3 tube amps powered on.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #9,687 of 9,892
Apr 17, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #9,688 of 9,892
I don't have a power filter. Never needed one even with 3 tube amps powered on.
I live in a house with 80 yo wiring and lots of electric appliances. The balanced transformer was cheaper than running a newer line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back