Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #6,347 of 9,894
So I'm in EL81 heaven with the Ultigreg. :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile:
I have listened to the El81 Mullard for a long time now to say that they are mega good.
A beautiful sweetness in the sound and great resolution and depending on the driver tube the highlight.
Brimar Footscray with his additional macrodynamics was the cherry on the cake.
TS 12AU7 Blackglass accompanied by deep digging bass, with great maintained sound.
Valvo 12 Au7 short grey plates,mega good analogue sound.
I hardly heard a difference between vinyl and digital, if there were any nuances.

Today I got the EL81 Ultron with Brimar Footscray.
The tube still has to burn in but it sounds just as amazing,a little brighter than the Mullard but not much.
Nice and clear sound and everything well placed.
When you hear an instrument that is further away, you immediately think of it as being 5 m away from the singer, so the localisation is also very sensitive without losing anything.

I still listen to all of this with my practical XLR cable, as my 2 new ones still play in the living room on the stereo system.
I'm looking forward to them even more when they're finished, and to listening to both EL81s again.
I've got my eye on an Ecc35 Mullard with just 60 hours on it and a great price, I hope I get it.
Although I don't want to buy any tubes for now.
But the price is mega good to say no to.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #6,348 of 9,894
Tried a couple of alternative outputs to the 6Y6G today. The 6W6GT sounded pretty good but lacked the openness and airiness of the 6Y6G. Also tried a pair of the Russian 6N8P Svetlana (6V6 variant) but only one worked and maybe that's why it didn't sound good.
Left the lovely GE 6Y6G in and tried the mighty Shuguang 6C8P input (who said that the $2 tubes are gone?):
Shuguang 6C8P.jpg

Looks a little busy with all the wires but don't be scared - it is a nice sounding driver with a very nice tone and good sound stage. Looks like a heavy duty industrial strength tube.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1102282584/search?SearchText=6c8p

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #6,351 of 9,894
Oct 4, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #6,352 of 9,894
Don't know if the sound stage is wider when the tubes have their individual sockets, but they are wider apart...and yes, it does look better.

I could buy your adapter to test but then I am so over with adapters. There is another adapter coming from Eric. To be announced when it gets here. Also 6v6 adapters on the way.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #6,355 of 9,894
Oct 5, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #6,356 of 9,894
Brimar cv455 Footscray (12AT7) with Radiotron 6F6G and Radiotron EZ80. Very good sound from Ultimate. Could be the amp is more stabilised. Any harshness and rawness is gone now. The 6 series of power tubes works very well in Ultimate.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #6,357 of 9,894
The Pandora's box is about to be open @triod750. It appears we can use 6bx7 and 6as7 with adapters in the 6y6g sockets (power) of Ultimate. The Ultimate world will never be the same again.
I am not surprised about 6BX7 or 6BL7 which are single triodes which bias decently for the operating point you have. I am a little bit surprised about 6AS7 which is a double triode, so you can use only by half in the output socket of your amplifier and to put a pair of double triodes would be a waste, in my view. More than this, this biases way lower than EL36 (I need -110V for it on my amp and I can bias to max -54V, I definitely cannot use it). Are you sure 6AS7 can be used?

Triodes can be used in triode strapped sockets, the problem is to bias them. I have a feeling A2293/CV4079 will work. I'll also try on mine.

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #6,358 of 9,894
I am not surprised about 6BX7 or 6BL7 which are single triodes which bias decently for the operating point you have. I am a little bit surprised about 6AS7 which is a double triode, so you can use only by half in the output socket of your amplifier and to put a pair of double triodes would be a waste, in my view. More than this, this biases way lower than EL36 (I need -110V for it on my amp and I can bias to max -54V, I definitely cannot use it). Are you sure 6AS7 can be used?

Triodes can be used in triode strapped sockets, the problem is to bias them. I have a feeling A2293/CV4079 will work. I'll also try on mine.

6BX7 and 6BL7 are double triodes and not single triodes.

I'll let Eric do the talking....... hope it's clear. He did say that using 6as7 as power tubes may not sound good in Ultimate. I decided not to experiment with 6as7 and 6bx7 as power tubes in Ultimate (because I am spending too much on adapters) but will try 6EM7 because I have 6EM7 (1 pair), 6FD7 (2 pairs with 6FD7 to 6EM7 adapters). Also 6EM7 is a dissimilar tube. The power section of 6EM7 is about 2/3 the power of a 2A3 tube and that works nicely with Ultimate's 3w.

When we order the 6EM7 tube as for triode socket, we say ( to Mrs X ) to 6J5 tube... But 6Y6 socket can actually accept 6J5 tube too (one screen grid less), and hence can accept a 6tEM7 on 6J5 socket...

If the 6AS7 ( a twin triode) adapter is only take ONE triode to a 6J5 socket, then 6AS7 can plug on the 6Y6 socket via this (to 6J5 ) adapter to 6Y6G socket, as the above.

For 6EM7, the effect may be we use a down-size 300B on ultimatE, but for 6AS7 - I expect to be low gain but may work.

(the 6BX7 adapter will take all the two triodes in parallel to a 6J5 pin socket )

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #6,359 of 9,894
Brimar cv455 Footscray (12AT7) with Radiotron 6F6G and Radiotron EZ80. Very good sound from Ultimate. Could be the amp is more stabilised. Any harshness and rawness is gone now. The 6 series of power tubes works very well in Ultimate.
When you have time can you post a photo of the Brimar cv455 Footscray (12AT7) , does it look like this ?
IMG_2232.JPG

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #6,360 of 9,894
6BX7 and 6BL7 are double triodes and not single triodes.
You're right, my bad. I thought to use these in my amp but later renounced. Forgot they are double, you have these from GOTL where you used 6 pieces.
If the 6AS7 ( a twin triode) adapter is only take ONE triode to a 6J5 socket, then 6AS7 can plug on the 6Y6 socket via this (to 6J5 ) adapter to 6Y6G socket, as the above.

(the 6BX7 adapter will take all the two triodes in parallel to a 6J5 pin socket )
Clear, thank you. This is very important information for people who will try. Let's hope 5998 works also.

Sorry if I created confusion, my intention was to help. You are right this will be a game changer, there are a lot of folks who own pairs of 6AS7 and now will be able to use them. Not sure it makes sense but well, it is a game changer for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back