Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 4, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #6,316 of 9,894
I avoid any twisting. I have used clear ‘gorilla glue’ carefully / sparingly inserted in the glass / base gap by exact-o knife blade. Patience in going around the circumference …. So far, this effort has worked.

Quasi (?) - related note: remember the saga of the lady who put gorilla glue in her hair, thinking that she was applying hair gel? 🤣

Yup super glue works. You don't even need to super glue all around. Just 4 dots is strong enough but obviously Jonathan is very careful with his work. I have to super gue a pair of EL11 too. It's all good now. Stronger than putting gorilla glue on your hair.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #6,317 of 9,894
I find it an interesting amplifier but I am pleased with my current one. I am more interested in trying new tube types nobody tried before than amplifiers and a manual grid bias amp is more suitable for me in this activity.

No worries. I type that but I don't mean it. I know you're happy with Eternity or an amp with manual bias. Good luck.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #6,318 of 9,894
No worries. I type that but I don't mean it. I know you're happy with Eternity or an amp with manual bias. Good luck.
No problem, I thought about this myself, but I do not want to sit in queues and so on. If one will appear in Classifieds and will be located in Europe I will think. I doubt this, thinking at the high level of satisfaction of current users, only if maybe someone wants to upgrade it. From what I have read, tube types have common qualities or defects in different amps, so finding new tube types for me seems more interesting than trying the same tubes in different amps.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #6,319 of 9,894
Lory's Ultimate is coming back to Eric for a thorough fix. I'll personally make sure he gets a Super Ultimate that is as good as mine. Such is the nature of custom build amps. Once in a while you get one with problems despite testing. Eric is fully supportive and Lory is totally cool with the whole episode. When it comes back I really want to see for myself what really happens.

I'm cool with retesting it again - definitely, positively or my name's not UntilThen.

Oct 4, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #6,320 of 9,894
No problem, I thought about this myself, but I do not want to sit in queues and so on. If one will appear in Classifieds and will be located in Europe I will think. I doubt this, thinking at the high level of satisfaction of current users, only if maybe someone wants to upgrade it. From what I have read, tube types have common qualities or defects in different amps, so finding new tube types for me seems more interesting than trying the same tubes in different amps.

@Leicachamp has a mini ultimate that he wanted to sell but he has disappeared from the face of the earth. Imo though only a Super Ultimate will intrigue you because of the dual drivers and dual caps.

Oct 4, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #6,321 of 9,894
@Leicachamp has a mini ultimate that he wanted to sell but he has disappeared from the face of the earth. Imo though only a Super Ultimate will intrigue you because of the dual drivers and dual caps.
While I understand their advantages I am not so eager to try them. I have double adapters to 6SN7 and for some months I barely use those sockets. I use extensively 6SL7/6N7/12AT7 or ECC40. Dual caps the same, just another variable to the table for me, and I already have a lot of variables. In the end you have 2 and use only the one you like anyway. Single triode sockets are good if it is your main amplifier but I never plan to renounce on Eternity, just to compare them. As a secondary amp it's ok with a single input socket.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #6,322 of 9,894
While I understand their advantages I am not so eager to try them. I have double adapters to 6SN7 and for some months I barely use those sockets. I use extensively 6SL7/6N7/12AT7 or ECC40. Dual caps the same, just another variable to the table for me, and I already have a lot of variables. In the end you have 2 and use only the one you like anyway. Single triode sockets are good if it is your main amplifier but I never plan to renounce on Eternity, just to compare them. As a secondary amp it's ok with a single input socket.

I've always love 6SL7 and the 12a*7 variants, including ECC31, 34 and 35 but since dipping my hands on 6J5 and rabbit ears, my ears are open to some wonderful tone. I'm a believer now. I hate using 2 x 6j5 with adapter in Glenn OTL amp. What is implemented now in Ultimate and some of Mischa's amps are the way to go.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #6,324 of 9,894
@OctavianH Curious, have you ever tried the EL360 triode strapped as an output? The low plate resistance + lower amp factor seem like they could be good, but unfortunately, I get some crazy hum on my side when trying them.
No, but I had some unpleasant try with some Siemens E235L which should work natively on my amp. EL360, E235L or E236L are all "relatives" of EL36 and bias the same.

1696407057689.png

For unknown reasons currents went high with the correct bias, so I have stopped. On my tester all was fine. I plan to make a second try when I will have time.

However, this is not a place for talking about these because we can create confusion. These tubes do not work on Ultimate. Please write me PM and we can discuss about this.

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #6,325 of 9,894
No, but I had some unpleasant try with some Siemens E235L which should work natively on my amp. EL360, E235L or E236L are all "relatives" of EL36 and bias the same.

1696407057689.png

For unknown reasons currents went high with the correct bias, so I have stopped. On my tester all was fine. I plan to make a second try when I will have time.

However, this is not a place for talking about these because we can create confusion. These tubes do not work on Ultimate. Please write me PM and we can discuss about this.
For sure - was not trying to hijack the thread - was just curious - ill shoot you a PM

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #6,326 of 9,894
@UntilThen How many hours would you estimate you put on my Ultimate ?

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #6,327 of 9,894
@UntilThen How many hours would you estimate you put on my Ultimate ?

Conservatively 232 hours. I started counting from 6th Sept 2023 at 8 hours a day but I got the amp earlier than that. So it's probably more than that but I'll stick with that.

Using a Raytheon 5751 Windmill and GE 6y6g with RCA 6bw4. These small noval tubes have a 'sharper' sound to my ears than the octal 6sn7 or 6SL7. I like both for the variation.

The ability to explore most type of double triode noval base tubes is a godsend in Ultimate.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #6,328 of 9,894
Conservatively 232 hours. I started counting from 6th Sept 2023 at 8 hours a day but I got the amp earlier than that. So it's probably more than that but I'll stick with that.

Using a Raytheon 5751 Windmill and GE 6y6g with RCA 6bw4. These small noval tubes have a 'sharper' sound to my ears than the octal 6sn7 or 6SL7. I like both for the variation.

The ability to explore most type of double triode noval base tubes is a godsend in Ultimate.
na , I ment my Ultimate

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #6,330 of 9,894
I have had to ‘reglue’ / ‘tighten up’ the contact area between bottom tube glass and tube base on a few 6Y6 tubes. Nothing major, just a little loose - these tubes are quite old.
I was very surprised at how old. I looked up the ken rads I just got, 1943!!! Thanks for the heads up on the loose glass!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back