Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Oct 5, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #6,376 of 9,894
Hmm, not sure 6AS7 will work.. this is for each triode section.. even if supply voltage is higher ultimately bringing down plate current, i dont know that it will bring it lower than was the output transformers can handle.

1696530738270.png

I don't know either and I don't want Ultimate to be an all in one wonder that can use every tubes under the sun.

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #6,379 of 9,894
I don't know either and I don't want Ultimate to be an all in one wonder that can use every tubes under the sun.
Agreed. It is fun to try different tubes / classes of tubes … but time is limited and there’s so much music …

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #6,380 of 9,894
Agreed. It is fun to try different tubes / classes of tubes … but time is limited and there’s so much music …

Which is exactly what I told someone I had a discussion with the other day on other tubes to roll in Ultimate. With so much tube rolling and tube comparison, we're going to miss the music. I've been listening to my test songs over and over again when I could be discovering new songs and artists. :)

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #6,385 of 9,894
Shuguang 6C8P looks better in the 6J5 slots. :) Probably wider soundstage than in the 6sn7 socket. :)

@Nick Ryan snap up the Hemp. You know you want it. :)

IMG_7846.jpg
After due consideration of your excellent offer of the Hemp I have decided I am NOT a Grado man, I do like to change cables, I am not a fan of fixed cables, I dont like my ear being so close to the foam, I realise all these things can be changed for a price but they are just not for me. Thanks Matt.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #6,386 of 9,894
Getting more familiar with the Ultimate. Making new friends for the mighty GE 6Y6G tubes. Here is one:
Ultimate with 5687.jpg

This is a GE 5687 which is said to be an equivalent of the 6N7/ECC31. I have several brands and the GE is the best sounding. The GE 6Y6G welcomed the GE 5687 as family - sounds great! Come to think of it, the 6BW4 rectifier is also a GE. Who would have dreamt the exclusively GE tubes gives you world class sound?
We would like to give thanks to the international community that made all this possible: USA, China, UK, Australia, Poland, Russia, Singapore.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #6,387 of 9,894
Getting more familiar with the Ultimate. Making new friends for the mighty GE 6Y6G tubes. Here is one:
Ultimate with 5687.jpg
This is a GE 5687 which is said to be an equivalent of the 6N7/ECC31. I have several brands and the GE is the best sounding. The GE 6Y6G welcomed the GE 5687 as family - sounds great! Come to think of it, the 6BW4 rectifier is also a GE. Who would have dreamt** the all GE tubes gives you world class sound?
We would like to give thanks to the international community that made all this possible: USA, China, UK, Australia, Poland, Russia, Singapore.
Well said!! ** not bcowen 😂!!

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #6,390 of 9,894
3 sets of adapters will be arriving for Eric and me by early Nov:-

That will accomodate 6EM7, 6BX7, 6BL7, 6AS7, 6080, 6H30P, 6H3P, etc. as power tubes in Ultimate. Don't ask me how or why but Eric is excited about it and when the builder is excited, that is a good thing. :)

Now to go back to GE and GEC tubes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back