Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 6, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #1,846 of 9,894
and EL12N tubes... looking very smart too. Fortunately for you guys, this tube is still available.

IMG_6395.jpg
Available, where??
Quick eBay search shows 1 single. That's it...

Jun 6, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #1,848 of 9,894
If I had to pick my 2 best tube amps since I started on head-fi, it would be these 2. It's 25 hours now for Ultimate and it's almost on par with Odyssey for SQ as far as my ears are concerned. Listening with Susvara on both amps.

@gzbaga prefers Ultimate and @xtiva prefers Odyssey. I can't pick a winner here. They both sound incredible. As I mentioned earlier, Ultimate is more forward sounding like the 1st 3 row seat. Odyssey is more 5th to 7th row seat. Both share common traits of supreme clarity and very revealing details. Both share common bonds of very engaging bass. It's the area of mids they differ. Ultimate is more forward and Odyssey takes a step back.

Odyssey is very smooth and refined though. It's a very classy sound signature. Given more burn in time for Ultimate, I expect she will exhibit similar characteristics. I do hear similar sweet extended treble on both amps. This could well be the fact they both use the same Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil coupling capacitors.

HiFiMan Audivina will be send to me in a week's time for review. I am on the tour program. I'll be using it with these 2 amps.

IMG_6399.jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #1,849 of 9,894
@xtiva prefers Odyssey

Yeah, thought Odyssey was a little better when it comes to classical music for my ears... For Vocal music with Ultimate, the vocal seems to be close to you, yet this amp is not a mid-forward amp like some...

Odyssey, for my ears, was a little more refined in its sound.. but then again it is 4 times the cost of UltiMatt so not a fair comparison but Ultimate was very very close to Odyssey. I am biased I love Odyssey pitty can't get them anymore. :sweat:

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #1,850 of 9,894
Yeah, thought Odyssey was a little better when it comes to classical music for my ears... For Vocal music with Ultimate, the vocal seems to be close to you, yet this amp is not a mid-forward amp like some...

Odyssey, for my ears, was a little more refined in its sound.. but then again it is 4 times the cost of UltiMatt so not a fair comparison but Ultimate was very very close to Odyssey. I am biased I love Odyssey pitty can't get them anymore. :sweat:

You pretty much said what's in my mind. The price difference is 3 times not 4 times but that is still significant.

But this statement that you made.... 'but Ultimate was very very close to Odyssey' ... that is what is in my mind.

Odyssey is still my flagship but Ultimate came very close.

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #1,851 of 9,894
There are also 2 tubes that I consider the best amongst all my power tubes. No they are not GEC KT88 or GEC KT66 or Philips Miniwatt EL34 metal base or Tung Sol 6550. :)
They are the Telefunken EL12 spez and La Radiotechnique EL39. I am waiting for a new pair of EL39 to arrive. Meanwhile I'm enjoying the EL12 spez in Ulitmate.

IMG_6398 (1).jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #1,852 of 9,894
You pretty much said what's in my mind. The price difference is 3 times not 4 times but that is still significant.

But this statement that you made.... 'but Ultimate was very very close to Odyssey' ... that is what is in my mind.

Odyssey is still my flagship but Ultimate came very close.
Is that 3 times your highly upgraded ultimate?

Jun 6, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #1,853 of 9,894
Is that 3 times your highly upgraded ultimate?

Yes. McChanson's amps are value for money and Eric doesn't charge much. He's only going to charge AUD$50 for the extra 6J5 with standard ceramic sockets, switch and labour.

Which builder will charge just AUD$50 for that?

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #1,857 of 9,894
Basic Ultimate is only $1450. Four of that is only $5800. Odyssey is much more than that. Odyssey is 5 x more.
Still reasonable when you consider what you get (got 😔).

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,859 of 9,894
If I had to pick my 2 best tube amps since I started on head-fi, it would be these 2. It's 25 hours now for Ultimate and it's almost on par with Odyssey for SQ as far as my ears are concerned. Listening with Susvara on both amps.

@gzbaga prefers Ultimate and @xtiva prefers Odyssey. I can't pick a winner here. They both sound incredible. As I mentioned earlier, Ultimate is more forward sounding like the 1st 3 row seat. Odyssey is more 5th to 7th row seat. Both share common traits of supreme clarity and very revealing details. Both share common bonds of very engaging bass. It's the area of mids they differ. Ultimate is more forward and Odyssey takes a step back.

Odyssey is very smooth and refined though. It's a very classy sound signature. Given more burn in time for Ultimate, I expect she will exhibit similar characteristics. I do hear similar sweet extended treble on both amps. This could well be the fact they both use the same Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil coupling capacitors.

HiFiMan Audivina will be send to me in a week's time for review. I am on the tour program. I'll be using it with these 2 amps.

That 'row seat' analogy is spot on... Can't wait to hear your thoughts on how the Audivina pairs with these amps!

Jun 6, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #1,860 of 9,894
Do you think the upgrade from Eric's default caps to the Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil tripple-ultra-special coupling caps really worth the $$$ they add to the cost?
Yes, I am starting to work on my UltimatE details with Eric :ksc75smile:

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the EL12 spez in Ulitmate.
How do they compare with the EL12N tubes? Not a big fan of top cap tubes myself... 🤷‍♂️
Time to choose, and order some tubes (and adapters)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back