Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,861 of 9,894
Yes, you should consider the Mundorf.
The caps are usually the golden mean of everything, to say the least.
They were used in speakers as well as amplifiers.

The article is also a bit older and many things that were not taken into account are the range of application, circuit design and other things.
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0708/capacitor2.htm
If you go one page further, you will find the Vcaps.
But there is another article somewhere where the individual caps were more clearly explained.
I can't find it anymore.

Let me take the post with a grain of salt.
Because it's not entirely objective and more aimed at making him worse than he probably is.

The other thing will be I have the Vcap TfTf and Odam in the Euforia and the combo is damn good.
It has removed a lot in the music in the treble, from the musicality, what sounded distorted or too cold.
Apart from that, it has made tubes that didn't work as well out of the box better.
(You can expect the same with the Mundorf Cap).
So this is where the greater advantage will be.
Not the music alone, neither any tonal distortion that is often talked about from the capacitors.
The rest of the setup will also flow into it, things like the source device mainly.
Therefore, expect a somewhat warm yet neutral sound with the Mundorf caps, with clear improvements in many areas.
It will be a bit more refined and clearer,maybe smoother here and there,detail reproduction will be improved.
These will be the advantages of what the industry is using less of.

Feliks did not use this condenser in the Euforia as an example, but the cheapest industrial condenser you can get at Mundorf.
Somewhat understandable on the other hand.
Considering what the Euforia costs, it is not entirely fair to the customer.
That is marketing.
Even the gentleman who installed my Odam in the Euforia said that this was not a good condenser.
The Odam is clearly better.
And this is a gentleman who has been building tube amplifiers in the stereo range for years.

Go into Eric's Mundorf upgrade and then forget everything for now.
Your ears and tubes will thank you.
One thing about the Euforia, I needed damn good tubes to make it sound good with the old Mundorfs.
Now with the Vcaps cheaper ones are enough to say Oh Wow that's good too.
The Svetlana sounded much better, the Mullards6080 even better and clearly superior to the Svetlana.
As 6sn7 sometimes have normal Gtb's in it.and nothing is missing.
You can always upgrade later after Mundorf if you know what you need or are missing.
Everything else would be superfluous for now.

Edit:

Here I have seen the capacitor test.
The report is older, some of it is no longer available.
The report is a little older:

https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

The Mundorf Silver/Gold is also included.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #1,862 of 9,894
@Deleeh Thanks for the VERY detailed and informative post!! :pray:
I was hoping @UntilThen could share some thoughts of UltimatE vs. UltiMatt... Get his take on how the better caps manifest with this specific amp design.

Truth be told, I was leaning towards the better caps already... I mean, when you buy a Porsche - do you opt for the cheap tires to save a few bucks?! :laughing:

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,863 of 9,894
UltimatE vs. UltiMatt

There's more than coupling capacitors differences between the 2 amps. Output transformers, solder, sockets, volume pot are also different. UltiMatt is > $1000 than Ultimate because of the upgrade. The main costs are in output transformers and chassis. Eric explain that half of the Silk transformers cost are in shipping.

UltiMatt is more effortless, smoother and refined than Ultimate and these are areas that matters most to me.

At Mundorf Supreme Silver Gold Oil caps level, there are other capacitors to consider but I'm glad that I didn't have to crack my head over this. In both Odyssey and Ultimate, both builders suggest this cap. If they have suggested Jupiters I probably would have agreed. I'm not sure I want to spend what Dueland are costing these days.

The enjoythemusic link that Deleeh post describes the differences between S/G/O and VCaps. At this level, it's all about personal preferences.

Russian PIO vs Mundorf S/G/O - the latter is more revealing, better treble extensions, subtle details pickup and these things matters to me. Therefore my choice would be Supreme S/G/O. I'm quite sure you will be fine even with Supreme Silver Oil without the Gold but for $50 more, I just do it.

Jun 6, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,864 of 9,894
How do they compare with the EL12N tubes? Not a big fan of top cap tubes myself... 🤷‍♂️
Time to choose, and order some tubes (and adapters)!

Initially I wasn't a fan of top cap tubes too but now my top 2 tubes are with top caps. :k701smile:

EL12 spez is a better sounding tube than EL12N but at this level it could boil down to personal preferences. EL12N is more neutral, clear and details galore. Combined with Raytheon 5751 Windmill and Susvara, I'm in 6th heavens.

EL12 spez has better texture, body and bass and combined with Raytheon 5751 Windmill and Susvara, I'm in 7th heavens. :) However EL12 spez is almost unobtainable now. There is a new pair selling for 299 euros. Even EL12 is almost unobtainable. So go with EL12N. With the passing of time, EL12N will also become unobtainable.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #1,865 of 9,894
Eric told me...

Hi Matt,
Re-ignite Silver UltimatE here with Fonon 6F6M1 and 12AV7... singing LOUD & sweet with speakers.... almost feeling that I don't need other amps now... Eventually sell all my existing amps... : ))
Cheers
Eric

:dt880smile:

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,866 of 9,894
Until has posted something somewhere between the UltiMatt and Odessy if you go back two pages.
I don't think you can get a better comparison.
As for the basic Ultimate, it won't be worse just because of the Russian caps alone I think.
It will be similarly good, but maybe not to the same extent as with the full Mundorf upgrade.

The Russian caps will also have their advantages and disadvantages, just as Mundorf has.
I think the Vcaps and Duel and copper are very close to each other and will be the most balanced of all.
Nothing will be lacking but both will be slightly different here and there.
The Mundorf will be rather a bit further back from the whole and the Russian also and here and there different from the Mundorf.
Look at it as described, while Vcap and Duelund are the highest class, Mundorf and the Russian are the middle class of the dilemma.

If the Mundorf is enough for you, good, if not, the question will be different later.
I don't know the Mundorf myself yet.
I am curious myself how it will do.
Unfortunately, it won't be possible to compare them directly because the Euforia is an Otl and the Ultimate is a set amplifier.
I also think that the components will react differently, even if only current flows.

The capacitor alone is not influenced by brand and price but also by the rest of the circuit and other components and what the builder/designer has in mind and of course what task it should fulfil.
You should keep this in mind.
There are people who bought high class caps and were disappointed.
The other side is also tuning.
If you take 3 capacitors from the same manufacturer, that can also be negative.
With the Vcap TFTF, they said you can't have more than two or it will be too bright and glaring.

It may even be sufficient to replace the driver tube with something that suits your taste, as an example.
It doesn't matter if it's Duelund or Vcap or something else and leave the Mundorf in as an output to maintain the synergy or do the conversion the other way round.
And you have an UltimatE amplifier that can go a completely different way.
But it depends a bit on the rest of your personal taste and if you like it that way.

I also think that Eric would not have offered to equip this amplifier with Mundorf if he had not been convinced himself.
And to be fair, he would have advised against it in order to save the money for a more sensible upgrade.
Or would have said go and give the wife a nice evening with it.
That would be another possibility further up where you could perhaps ask Eric what he thinks of it or recommend all 3 Mundorf or 3 Russian.

With the Euforia I have at that time the standard Mundorfs against the TFTF exchanged at the 6SN7 driver socket first.
The Vcap was cheap at the time and the work was also done quickly.
There was immediately an audible difference.
But I decided to wait for the 400 h burn in.
After that it was clear that the Odam against the standart Mundorf will round off the whole thing when it is connected under the output socket.
It was then also so, and it took another 200-300 h until it was completely there.
The only thing I regretted was the expenses I had, but it has already paid me back so much that I no longer think about it.

That is why the subject is slightly sensitive.
It is easier to report about something good than about something less good.
I was also very inexperienced and did not know what to expect and was also a bit scared at the time.
But I had a little help from another user here in the forum.
And also Vcap was a good support.
What many manufacturers also do not do is this:

https://www.v-cap.com/coupling-capacitor-calculator.php

You could theoretically if you did, install a better capacitor instead of using a cheap one with a high uf value.
I did it on the Euforia, and the only thing that was different is that you have to turn up the pot a little more, but the volume slowly gets louder, giving you much better audibility.
With Eric's amp I don't think it will be necessary, but if you ever buy something industrial you should have it in mind if it comes to that.

That's probably all I could contribute to this topic from my knowledge and experience.
If you live like untilthen near Eric, it is all done in an hour.
Then you could really try the Russian cap first and then the Mundorf later.

Jun 6, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,867 of 9,894
Due to @Leicachamp praise of the GEC KT66 and Deleeh's interest in this tube, I decide to give it a listen again, right after the EL12N. I was blown away. GEC KT66 is guaranteed to impress. So rich in tone and yet so clear. Minute details are revealed. Midrange and bass are amazing. You could almost fall in love with the music you're listening to.

It makes Ultimatt even more beautiful. :k701smile:

IMG_6403.jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,869 of 9,894
Jun 6, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #1,871 of 9,894
You got the 6*6 right except 6L6 is quite different from the others. 6L6 is more in the category of EL34, 807. A very good power tube too.

There is one I haven't tried yet. It's the 6K6. Similar to the other 6*6.

The queue*** is rapidly getting longer. :ksc75smile: Book yourself in now.
*** Hey Zachik, look 👀 for 6Q6 tubes too (if they exist 🤣) …

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,872 of 9,894
Guys, I'm just gonna throw this out here for better or worse. No intention of slagging on any brand or questioning what someone chooses to do. But when it comes to fuses, they have one mission in life: to sacrifice themselves so that the amp may live on to see another day. Brands like Synergistic Research, Furutech, and Hi-Fi Tuning have been selling fuses for a very long time and if there were issues they would probably have come to light by now. Can you say the same thing about an unknown brand from China? Is that fuse going to blow at a little over 2 amps? Maybe it'll pass 5 amps before it blows, at which point the amp might be damaged or even FUBAR'ed.

Not trying to dissuade anyone on alternate fuses (I have several SR's and HFT's myself and find that they do make a positive difference), just consider the risks before sticking in an inexpensive alternate from an unknown company from a country that isn't well known for quality control.

I'll leave now.... 🤣

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #1,873 of 9,894
Guys, I'm just gonna throw this out here for better or worse. No intention of slagging on any brand or questioning what someone chooses to do. But when it comes to fuses, they have one mission in life: to sacrifice themselves so that the amp may live on to see another day. Brands like Synergistic Research, Furutech, and Hi-Fi Tuning have been selling fuses for a very long time and if there were issues they would probably have come to light by now. Can you say the same thing about an unknown brand from China? Is that fuse going to blow at a little over 2 amps? Maybe it'll pass 5 amps before it blows, at which point the amp might be damaged or even FUBAR'ed.

Not trying to dissuade anyone on alternate fuses (I have several SR's and HFT's myself and find that they do make a positive difference), just consider the risks before sticking in an inexpensive alternate from an unknown company from a country that isn't well known for quality control.

I'll leave now.... 🤣

Hello hello my Susvara is from China and the amazing Darkvoice.... :k701smile:

My aucharm T2A fuse is on the way. It better not fail !!!

Name: Aucharm single crystal nano fuse
Fuse: Single crystal silver wire + single crystal nano alloy

H6c4efc389abd499081a26711dfc1b952I.jpg

Look it has all these precious minerals. :dt880smile::k701smile:

H458bb967121646e08964a0b7cb62c7d02.jpg

Jun 6, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #1,875 of 9,894
Hello hello my Susvara is from China and the amazing Darkvoice.... :k701smile:

My aucharm T2A fuse is on the way. It better not fail !!!

Name: Aucharm single crystal nano fuse
Fuse: Single crystal silver wire + single crystal nano alloy

H6c4efc389abd499081a26711dfc1b952I.jpg

Look it has all these precious minerals. :dt880smile::k701smile:

H458bb967121646e08964a0b7cb62c7d02.jpg
… ==> The old joke: Ministry of Trade recalled 10,000 tonnes of lead because inspectors 👀found toys in it … 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back