Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 13, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #4,066 of 9,894
Just came back from Eric's place. He has made a lovely guitar amp for a client using 6v6gt, EL48, 12ax7 and 6av6.

IMG_6833.jpg

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #4,067 of 9,894
Never said anything about owning the intellectual property.. nothing to do with it unless you were trying to steal said property and profit off of it with your own products.

Again, you could apply that same logic to any other piece of equipment we own, but I see users like @UntilThen care not about that in other threads for other products.

But this is all besides the point.. i own something, I can take pictures of it and share them with whoever if I want unless there was some legal contract stating otherwise.

I have ZERO issue with it be a requested courtesy from the builder - What I took issue with @UntilThen talking down to someone passive aggressively and then "shaming" them for something they had no idea was even a courtesy.. wheres the courtesy of maybe DMing that person and asking/informing them like a mature adult about said request from the builder. Instead, he literally publicly "shamed" them.
Not looking for an argument

I thought it was reasonable to see that publishing a picture puts the intellectual property of the designer at risk even though the publisher has done nothing wrong

That is the logic I applied in my own case

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #4,068 of 9,894
There is no use trying to reason with him. He doesn't even have an interest in Ultimate and yet come here to argue about publishing rights. Manufacturers will be wary of him. It's common decency to respect a builder's intellectual rights.

Jul 13, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #4,069 of 9,894
Just got the Super Gold Ultimate home, after having a preamp put in. This is a very good feature. I have connected the preamp out of Ultimate to the rca in of Destiny 300b amp. The only source input on Destiny is from the preamp in.

Volume of Destiny set to about 11am and then vary the volume level on Ultimate as required. Using Susvara and it's a lovely tone. Tube rolling possibilities are endless now because you can tube roll in both Ultimate and Destiny. If I swapped Destiny for Odyssey, the choice is even greater.

Also Eric said that the preamp out can go to active speakers direct.

With the way it is connected above, I can listen with the headphone through either Ultimate or Destiny. I can also replace Destiny with my solid state amp Redgum later but it should work the same way.

Definitely get the preamp out if you're considering it.

IMG_6835.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,071 of 9,894
There is no use trying to reason with him. He doesn't even have an interest in Ultimate and yet come here to argue about publishing rights. Manufacturers will be wary of him. It's common decency to respect a builder's intellectual rights.

I look at the same way as if I buy a car, am I not allowed to post photos of the engine internals online whether or not the manufacturer approves ?

Not all amp builders think that way, I provided examples of some amp builders that like to show off the internals of their amps so I didn't know that was a thing, some people are not aware of this unwritten "rule".

And I already removed the photo out of respect for his wishes.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #4,072 of 9,894
…And I already removed the photo out of respect for his wishes.
Too late and half-hearted, you must return the UltimatE, the noble device gets a good home with me 😉

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #4,073 of 9,894
@jonathan c whilst I was at Eric's place, I saw your Mini Silver chassis. Looking very new and ready for the bench soon. There is also a wooden chassis for the next client - another Matt I think.
… ooh 🤗

Jul 13, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #4,074 of 9,894
The best is yet to come for Ultimate and it came at the last. Using it as preamp to Destiny. Marrying GEC L63/KT88 with 6EM7/300b produce a surprise. A tone that I have not heard before. Listening with Susvara, this is great. I can use Ultimate into my 3 other tube amps - Odyssey, Oblivion and Destiny. Using Ultimate as preamp is so clear, with tube tone ever so present. Eric was right when he said Ultimate as preamp is simply letting the whole signal through. All of driver, power and rectifier combination.

IMG_6836 (1).jpg

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #4,076 of 9,894
Listening to Rio De Janeiro Blues - Randy Crawford and Joe Sample on Tidal. Had almost forgotten this song. Such a lovely song just past midnight. :)

Thanks for this - new discovery for me! Beautiful!😎

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #4,077 of 9,894
Hmm, I kind of understand where you're coming from, but if someone is selling something to regular Joe retail consumers such as a car, or lawn mower, phone, etc etc etc., the chances of there being "proprietary" parts, techniques, chips, designs, or what have you in these are probably 100%.

So you are saying that the average retail consumer should not look at, disassemble, share pictures/thoughts/opinions on the inner workings of said products, or select parts of these because proprietary design/parts? This doesn't make any sense.

Its not like the amps are being sold to a govt agency, or a partner they are in business with, and these things are meant to be kept under wraps. But once you sell your products in the wild, its fair game.. and I'm still wondering, why would the builder that is responsible for, "As good a work as you can ever see in a point to point wiring in an old school amp." as you say not want their customer base to show off that work? Seems like some fairly decent advertising, unless there is something else going on? But i dont think thats it, so even stranger.

I don't see you, or anyone anywhere trying to protect darkvoices "proprietary" work within that amp.. they are a business just like he is, shouldn't their so called "proprietary" work/design/implementations not hold the same respect? Doesn't stop with DV, far from it.. the countless products on this website that would have proprietary work within them that have been completely dissected and thrown across this website for all to see is everywhere.. its just the way it is.

All in all.. you sell something to the general public, expectations of trying to keep whatever secret it was a "secret" should no longer exist for any reason.. unless ofc people are being forced to sign some sort of legally binding non disclosure contract of some kind when purchashing these amps, which if they are then :eyes:
Yea, this is all the lamest. Amp internals have always been discovered unless manufacturers have things to hide.

It's always those cutting corners and garage amateurs.

Big boy games are far different.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,078 of 9,894
I look at the same way as if I buy a car, am I not allowed to post photos of the engine internals online whether or not the manufacturer approves ?

Not all amp builders think that way, I provided examples of some amp builders that like to show off the internals of their amps so I didn't know that was a thing, some people are not aware of this unwritten "rule".

And I already removed the photo out of respect for his wishes.
Nonono, taking a picture of your own cars engine is somehow stealing intellectual property/publishing rights :joy:

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,080 of 9,894
Dang, I didn't think about that. How do I know which is which?

That is indeed the russian equivalent of CV6, also known as 6C8C or 6S8S or the British VR135.

This is the other Mullard CV6 DET20 VR135 that I am getting. Why do they have such long names?

No, I came in here at a request from a friend to help YOU determine which TC is anode and grid.. but you continue to make things up.. i never once said anything about publishing rights or IP.. not one time.. only you have..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back