Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jul 12, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #4,036 of 9,894
Thats my opinion.

And there are photos available of the internals of all of those brands of amps as well on this forum. So there are others that share my opinion.

Some creators like to show off their work and dare you to replicate it.

Like a certain Mr. Kingwa.

VHE1LE1.JPG

Eric and Tomas have explicitly ask their clients not to publish pictures of the amps internals. Just ask all those customers. If you think that just by buying the amp you can do what you wish, you've no respect for an amp builder.

What Kingwa chooses to do, that's his own decision.

Jul 12, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #4,037 of 9,894
Eric and Tomas have explicitly ask their clients not to publish pictures of the amps internals. Just ask all those customers. If you think that just by buying the amp you can do what you wish, you've no respect for an amp builder.

What Kingwa chooses to do, that's his own decision.
I don't recall Eric ever stating that to me but whatever I took the photo down.

And thats one of the reasons theres less and less amp builders as time goes on.

I would think it would only help sell the amp, how are you supposed to know the quality of the work before buying?

Anyway just pointing out that not all amp builders have that line of thinking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1855199306...gL7VZIDfKUkCeONOLNBoJp/1r7|tkp:Bk9SR_Dl88upYg

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #4,038 of 9,894
If that is your opinion, no one will make you anything. Do you see anyone opening up a Woo Audio, Ampandsound, Felik Audio, DNA Stratus, etc. and publishing it? It's common decency to respect the creator's work.
It appears to be quite the norm to show the guts of the item when second hand equipment is sold especially on SNA they get opened up to show its not got issues or been "Tinkered" with. It seems reasonable to me to do this. I saw the insides of a QUAD amplifier for sale that had the tag strips removed and replaced with wooden strips that had wood screws joining the terminals !!!

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #4,039 of 9,894
It appears to be quite the norm to show the guts of the item when second hand equipment is sold especially on SNA they get opened up to show its not got issues or been "Tinkered" with. It seems reasonable to me to do this. I saw the insides of a QUAD amplifier for sale that had the tag strips removed and replaced with wooden strips that had wood screws joining the terminals !!!

Ultimate is not 2nd hand. You of all people should know this.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #4,041 of 9,894
Thats awesome. Which amp is that?

Is that solid core silver wire with air gapped teflon sleeves on the light purple and blue caps.
It's a Cary amp sold under the Audio Electronics brand many years ago. AE-25 Superamp, 15wpc in triode or 30wpc in ultralinear using a pair of triode-wired pentodes per channel. You could get it in kit form or factory assembled, and I got the kit so I could hot-rod it with stupid-expensive caps and resistors. 🤣

Those are just the leads from the Audio-1 oil caps in a standard teflon sleeve. Not sure what wire the leads are made out of, but at their price point I doubt it's silver.

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #4,042 of 9,894
4:41am listen again with the Super Gold Ultimate. It's ultra silent with no music playing. Using ECC34 and KT88, the sound is so good, I've gone pass nirvana. :wink:

What is beyond nirvana?
beyond nearvana is farvana … 🤪😜

Jul 12, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4,043 of 9,894
Jul 12, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4,044 of 9,894
Now to go and see Eric with the Ultimates and have coffee.
Eric & The UltimatEs …. a 1960s killer quartet from Merseyside? …. 🎼🎸….

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #4,045 of 9,894
LOL! And if it's a long way away, stop by Carvana and get some wheels. 🤣
… suitably equipped with in-dashboard 8-track machine; console is filled with Ronco’s The Very Best Of Slim Whitman. 😳🤣

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #4,047 of 9,894
It's a proprietory work. No custom amp builders would want their internal work published without their consent. I suggest you remove it.
Hmm, I kind of understand where you're coming from, but if someone is selling something to regular Joe retail consumers such as a car, or lawn mower, phone, etc etc etc., the chances of there being "proprietary" parts, techniques, chips, designs, or what have you in these are probably 100%.

So you are saying that the average retail consumer should not look at, disassemble, share pictures/thoughts/opinions on the inner workings of said products, or select parts of these because proprietary design/parts? This doesn't make any sense.

Its not like the amps are being sold to a govt agency, or a partner they are in business with, and these things are meant to be kept under wraps. But once you sell your products in the wild, its fair game.. and I'm still wondering, why would the builder that is responsible for, "As good a work as you can ever see in a point to point wiring in an old school amp." as you say not want their customer base to show off that work? Seems like some fairly decent advertising, unless there is something else going on? But i dont think thats it, so even stranger.

I don't see you, or anyone anywhere trying to protect darkvoices "proprietary" work within that amp.. they are a business just like he is, shouldn't their so called "proprietary" work/design/implementations not hold the same respect? Doesn't stop with DV, far from it.. the countless products on this website that would have proprietary work within them that have been completely dissected and thrown across this website for all to see is everywhere.. its just the way it is.

All in all.. you sell something to the general public, expectations of trying to keep whatever secret it was a "secret" should no longer exist for any reason.. unless ofc people are being forced to sign some sort of legally binding non disclosure contract of some kind when purchashing these amps, which if they are then :eyes:

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #4,048 of 9,894
Hmm, I kind of understand where you're coming from, but if someone is selling something to regular Joe retail consumers such as a car, or lawn mower, phone, etc etc etc., the chances of there being "proprietary" parts, techniques, chips, designs, or what have you in these are probably 100%.

So you are saying that the average retail consumer should not look at, disassemble, share pictures/thoughts/opinions on the inner workings of said products, or select parts of these because proprietary design/parts? This doesn't make any sense.

Its not like the amps are being sold to a govt agency, or a partner they are in business with, and these things are meant to be kept under wraps. But once you sell your products in the wild, its fair game.. and I'm still wondering, why would the builder that is responsible for, "As good a work as you can ever see in a point to point wiring in an old school amp." as you say not want their customer base to show off that work? Seems like some fairly decent advertising, unless there is something else going on? But i dont think thats it, so even stranger.

I don't see you, or anyone anywhere trying to protect darkvoices "proprietary" work within that amp.. they are a business just like he is, shouldn't their so called "proprietary" work/design/implementations not hold the same respect? Doesn't stop with DV, far from it.. the countless products on this website that would have proprietary work within them that have been completely dissected and thrown across this website for all to see is everywhere.. its just the way it is.

All in all.. you sell something to the general public, expectations of trying to keep whatever secret it was a "secret" should no longer exist for any reason.. unless ofc people are being forced to sign some sort of legally binding non disclosure contract of some kind when purchashing these amps, which if they are then :eyes:

I don't get it why it's a reasonable request from a tube amp builder that you don't share their inner chassis work. You will be sent pictures and you can open it up yourself to check it but the request is to keep it to yourself. There will be a lot of copying work going on if it's shared, that is why.

If you approach for example Woo Audio and ask to buy their WA33 and say, could you send me internal pictures of your chassis work before I buy it, what do you think is the response?

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #4,049 of 9,894
Ultimate is not 2nd hand. You of all people should know this.
Of course I know this, I never suggested for one minute Ultimate is second hand, heaven forbid, my response was if they ever get sold on whose to convey the makers wishes, I doubt it would ever happen Matt,

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #4,050 of 9,894
Of course I know this, I never suggested for one minute Ultimate is second hand, heaven forbid, my response was if they ever get sold on whose to convey the makers wishes, I doubt it would ever happen Matt,

We're talking different things here. We're talking about a customer getting a new Ultimate and then publishing the inner chassis work without asking for the tube amp builder's consent.

FYI, I even ask Glenn's permission before I post the inner chassis work of the Glenn OTL amp. If he had said no, I would have respected it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back