Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #2,071 of 9,894
Just put in the Telefunken EL156 on Ultimatt for the first time and I'm in for a bit of shock. Frankenstein is finally coming out of the closet. The amp is burning in and it's more than just EL11 sounding great now. :k701smile:

I haven't been rolling all my power tubes on the wooden Ultimate. Only on the silver Ultimate. I have to go through that exercise again because what I'm hearing is a different beast now. Burn in, burn in baby !

It's tsunami bass on EL156 ! This will show 300b out the door.

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #2,073 of 9,894
I'm going to see Eric in the morning. Just to have a coffee and to say thanks for Ultimate.

You've to try EL156 in Ultimate. You'll be doing yourself a big diservice not to. Btw I'm listening with Susvara and I'm going bananas over it.

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,074 of 9,894
EL3N brings back memories of 2016. Has it been that long ago?
Time goes fast when you are having fun...

I almost got hate mail when I smashed one EL3N to show the innards - I would never do such a thing to a tube but this one shorted out and became unusable because of a faulty adapter:
EL3N brings back memories of 2016. Has it been that long ago?
Time goes fast when you are having fun. At one point I had six EL3N in the Euforia (plus a pair of 6BX7 - not enough room for 8XEL3N) but more is not necessarily better...
1686339972641.png

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #2,075 of 9,894
@Deleeh can you read this EL11 and EL12 tube dataset and tell me the gain for each of them? It's in german and I don't understand it.

http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/el11.pdf

https://datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/EL12.html
Yes, I'll do it tomorrow.
I didn't have a good day today.
After work, where everything went smoothly, I picked up my wife and had an accident on the motorway.
Luckily it was only a bit of damage to the bodywork and plastic.
Then I had to pick up my wife and go back and I've been awake since 4am and I'm pretty exhausted now.

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #2,076 of 9,894
After work, where everything went smoothly, I picked up my wife and had an accident on the motorway.
Then I had to pick up my wife and go back and I've been awake since 4am and I'm pretty exhausted now.
Sorry to hear that - the main thing is that nothing happened to you. But it is very aggravating and disturbing when it happens. Hopefully the insurance will cover and and you will have the car back in shape soon.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,077 of 9,894
EL12N is good but EL11 is special. I thought it was all a dream but I woke up and listen again now. There it is - it's still there. The uncanny ability to pick out notes and make them come alive. It's just a different feel. 3 dimensionality like you've not heard before and redefines what holographic means.

Try it yourself. You have many EL3N tubes. You just need the adapters.
I should have 2 pairs of EL11 that I bought 4 years ago, to use (with adapters) on the GOTL...
I will be able to try the EL11 with the same adapters I am getting for the EL12N anyhow.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #2,078 of 9,894
Sorry to hear that - the main thing is that nothing happened to you. But it is very aggravating and disturbing when it happens. Hopefully the insurance will cover and and you will have the car back in shape soon.
Yes, thank you, everything is good so far.
In Germany, you have to have the car insured, so everything is OK.
The question of guilt is always a vexed issue.
But I have the police on my side and they clearly said who was to blame.
Unfortunately, the driver was very intransigent and also not humanly okay.
Although he didn't behave okay while driving.
Well, that's usually the case.
His driving behaviour also showed me his human side.
I think the rest will be sorted out and I might need a lawyer.
Or I think the driver will hire one.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #2,079 of 9,894

Aww sorry to hear about the accident but glad both you and your wife are alright.

@OctavianH has found out about EL11 and EL12 gain. So you don't need to look it up.

I should have 2 pairs of EL11 that I bought 4 years ago, to use (with adapters) on the GOTL...
I will be able to try the EL11 with the same adapters I am getting for the EL12N anyhow.

That's good to know you have EL11 because I just switch back from EL156 to EL11 and haha.... the magic is still there. It is just nice ! The action is happening from midbass up all the way to treble. Tonally it's very good. It's hard to describe till you hear it. @Leicachamp is going for the EL3N and I want to hear his impressions.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #2,080 of 9,894
Time goes fast when you are having fun...

I almost got hate mail when I smashed one EL3N to show the innards - I would never do such a thing to a tube but this one shorted out and became unusable because of a faulty adapter:

Time goes fast when you are having fun. At one point I had six EL3N in the Euforia (plus a pair of 6BX7 - not enough room for 8XEL3N) but more is not necessarily better...
1686339972641.png

How many EL3N did you have left? Those still look very new. You must have bought it from my source.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #2,081 of 9,894
What I didn't expect was for Ultimate to drive Susvara so well. Initially I didn't want to try Susvara on it but that's a rookie's mistake to believe that Susvara needs 10w at 60 ohms for it to sound good.

Tonally, Susvara sounded amazing when driven by Ultimate. My volume knob is only at 11am. It's not about loudness here but Ultimate has a lot more volume range to blast it. It's the way Susvara sings when driven by Ultimate.

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2,082 of 9,894
Just an update on my ultimate.
Have now a fav driver tube. And surprise surprise its the GEC2900. What i was bagging this tube a week ago!!!
As it turned out, the friend who gave me the tube forgot to tell me it was a real NOS and unplayed.
So basically the sonic character i was describing (closed in, slow etc...) was of a unburnt tube.

Now with over 30 hrs on it , i can saftly say its the goldilocks among the 12A tubes.

Matt you can now feel good your GEC2900 just went back up in price :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #2,083 of 9,894
Just an update on my ultimate.
Have now a fav driver tube. And surprise surprise its the GEC2900. What i was bagging this tube a week ago!!!
As it turned out, the friend who gave me the tube forgot to tell me it was a real NOS and unplayed.
So basically the sonic character i was describing (closed in, slow etc...) was of a unburnt tube.

Now with over 30 hrs on it , i can softly say its the goldilocks among the 12A tubes.

Matt you can now feel good your GEC2900 just went back up in price :beyersmile:

Hahaha I was never wrong about what I hear. Glad the GEC A2900 works out for you well.

Off to Eric’s place now.

Jun 9, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #2,085 of 9,894

Users who are viewing this thread

Back