Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 9, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #2,041 of 9,894
Don't forget also about EL37.

Yes EL37 but that is very expensive. I rather use EL38 or EL39, if you don't mind adapters and top anode cap. EL39 is one of the nicest sounding power tubes.

However EL11 is sounding crazy good now in Ultimate. Do I have a new favourite? Time will tell.... :relaxed: :rolling_eyes: :scream: :beerchug:

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #2,042 of 9,894
Hahaha US$440 for a nice pair of 6M6G.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/393795762887?
My life became much simpler when I put a limit of 20EUR/tube. I will never buy something which is more expensive, 10 EUR if it is an experiment and 20 EUR if I really want it. I obtained better sound quality and also saved for some investments in AI stocks. :wink:

Jun 9, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #2,043 of 9,894
My life became much simpler when I put a limit of 20EUR/tube. I will never buy something which is more expensive, 10 EUR if it is an experiment and 20 EUR if I really want it. I obtained better sound quality and also saved for some investments in AI stocks. :wink:

Very wise. For me, I will just use the tubes that I already have and there are 5 pairs of NOS Telefunken, Siemens, Philips Miniwatt EL11.

It takes only 10 secs to hear the goodness of EL11 in Ultimate. It sound airier, punchier, harder hitting bass and has more bite than EL12. Now it's making Susvara sound 2 levels up. It's unbelievable.

See the 250v there?

EL11 Philips Miniwatt hi quality output pentode for audio amplifiers

Uf=6.3V If=1.5A

Triode mode: Ua=250V, Ia=20mA, Rk=155ohm, Ra=7Kohm, Pout=4-5W

Jun 9, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,045 of 9,894
P
EL39 will remain in Ultimate until the amp is burned in at ~150 hours. Drivers might get changed but the power tube will remain and be burned in together with the amp.

At a fraction of the cost of GEC KT88, I prefer EL39. Don't deplete the stock please. :)

@hypnos1 where are you? Your fav tube is here.
Thought you were sticking with EL39 for at least 2 weeks:beyersmile:

Jun 9, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #2,050 of 9,894
1686300852762.png

I think this is valid when used as Pentode. In triode mode should not be less efficient? (2 grids removed?) So gain lower? (I have no idea, just ask)

Later edit: Found this on another forums:

Pentode mode: Not very linear, high output impedance, lots of gain, highest power/efficiency, easy to drive
Ultralinear mode: Quite linear, almost as much power available as pentode mode medium output impedance, quite a lot of gain, easy to drive
Triode mode: Very linear, only about 1/3rd the power of pentode mode lowest output impedance, not much gain, harder / hard to drive due to high input capacitance and low gain. Triode strapped pentodes somewhat easier to drive than pure triodes.
Extra power can probably be claimed by driving the grids positive in triode mode though.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #2,051 of 9,894
Well it's not a one shot wonder. I retested EL39 vs EL11 and definitely EL11 sound better. Drum beats comes alive. Each beat on the toms, you can feel the impact on your chest. This thing is on fire !

The reason I ask Deleeh to check the gain on both tubes is to ascertain if it's because EL11 has higher gain. However I compensate with the volume accordingly and still EL11 sounds more dynamic and it's not subtle. Clearly heard.

Just before I send off this post, I saw Octa's post on the gain. So EL11 is slightly higher at 23 and EL12 at 20. That's not a lot of difference.

This is very interesting because EL11 definitely sounded better with greater clarity and details. On an Enigma track, sound travels across the soundstage and it's eerily real.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #2,052 of 9,894
For those of you who would like to try EL11, I would suggest EL3N because I can show you where to buy cheaper and new NOS EL3N.

There are not many EL11 on the market left and the new ones are expensive. I'm weary of old EL11 because chances of getting nosiy tubes are great.

So I suggest EL3N with the adapter.

Who wouldn't love the looks of EL3N. With red skirts ! The lady in red !

EL3N-Philips--02-250.jpg

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,053 of 9,894
Almost all EL11 I got had loose bases, so you always need to glue. Then there are several shapes looking similar but not the same. So to get a pair looking identical with a fixed base is a challenge.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #2,054 of 9,894
Almost all EL11 I got had loose bases, so you always need to glue. Then there are several shapes looking similar but not the same. So to get a pair looking identical with a fixed base is a challenge.

Correct. That's why I wouldn't buying EL11 now. However I got mine a few years ago when I could buy new and they don't cost that much then. All my Telefunken and Siemens EL11 are pristine and identical twins. :)

So for new owners of Ultimate I would recommend buying new EL3N. Don't buy used because when the red paint peels off they look terrible.

and get a pair of this adapter.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/203222440267?

but buy the tubes first. Make sure you can still buy the tubes before buying the adapters. Contact me privately for the link to new EL3N.

Jun 9, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #2,055 of 9,894
I'm listening to 'Once upon a time in the West' by Dire Straits. Tubes are Fivre 6A6 and Siemens EL11. The dynamics and punch are out of this world. This is the real deal.... until a better tube combination comes along. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back