Eric McChanson Headphone Amp??
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,922 of 9,894
Jun 7, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,923 of 9,894
… rolling + hoarding =?= roarding … 🤔

It's never about hoarding for me. It's all about experimentation. If I didn't buy 6A6, 6N7G and C3G since the days of Elise, I wouldn't be able to sample them now.

I never expected 6A6 with the adapter to be so quiet and sound amazing in Ultimate. Those same tubes and adapters were humming loudly on Elise which is why I've kept it aside and had forgotten about it until now.

Now waiting on the adapter for 6N7 to arrive. I've not heard EL84 in Ultimate so I'm curious how it will sound.

After selling off GOTL, I kept 2 pairs of C3G never expecting that I will use it again.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,926 of 9,894
I was curious about their use of “Bile” in adverts, it seems to be alluding to the youngsters of today using “Sick” to describe something. So a ”Sick” machine in China is a “Bile” machine. I wouldn’t want either, I’m really happy with my McChamplifier machine sounding fantastic listening to B B King with Eric Clapton.**
** “Riding With The King” (?) ☑️ 👍

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #1,927 of 9,894
In my experience, you are never done with anything but for a short while. :)

Didn't yo just cancel an order for tubes since you had all you needed.

Just keep on keeping on...

I cancel the order for EL12N because I already have a used pair and given my other tubes, the EL12N will never wear out.

Eric mention about this tube...
I have spotted a 9-pin tube 12B4 ( single triode) with mu=6.5 of low internal impedance looks good sounding... You may raise this tube for the forum to ask for opinion if any...as a power tube on UltimatE. ... but it needs an adapter, sadly....

Sadly I'm just catching my breath before the next roll.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,928 of 9,894
I cancel the order for EL12N because I already have a used pair and given my other tubes, the EL12N will never wear out.

Eric mention about this tube...
I have spotted a 9-pin tube 12B4 ( single triode) with mu=6.5 of low internal impedance looks good sounding... You may raise this tube for the forum to ask for opinion if any...as a power tube on UltimatE. ... but it needs an adapter, sadly....

Sadly I'm just catching my breath before the next roll.
Look, there are only 13,000 different vacuum tubes so there definitely is a limit to tube rolling.
Oops, I forgot about the combinations of tubes….

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #1,930 of 9,894
Look, there are only 13,000 different vacuum tubes so there definitely is a limit to tube rolling.
Oops, I forgot about the combinations of tubes….

I thought GOTL and Odyssey were bad enough but Ultimate has way more combinations, with many more undiscovered.

Jun 7, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #1,931 of 9,894
I thought GOTL and Odyssey were bad enough but Ultimate has way more combinations, with many more undiscovered.
We need a spreadsheet, like the one I prepared for the GOTL (see my signature).
When I get some time (maybe on the weekend) - I should create something for the benefit of everyone here (and Eric)!

Jun 7, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #1,935 of 9,894
You forgot the FDD20! Don't forget the 6N7...

I have one pair of Marconi 6N7. :) Have 4 x FDD20 but that's 12.6v and I am not using external power supply. Have a new pair of Tung Sol 12SN7gt bgrp too. Should get Eric to include 12.6v as well but as I said, Ultimate did not start out to be one amp for all tubes. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back