ER4P vs RE-ZERO
Aug 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 10
The ER4P should sound better. I haven't heard either, but the ER4 is generally considered a technically superior IEM. The ER4P has a low enough impedance that most (if not all) portable players can drive without a problem. I think its impedance might even be lower than that of your RE0. Avoid the ER4S though, if you're not getting an amp.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 10
The ER4P/PT models have 27 ohm impedance, which under less than half that of the RE0s (64 ohms).  They can definitely be driven by a mobile device.  However, the RE-ZERO has 16 ohms of impedance, so it depends on model.  The ER4s are going to be a big upgrade from the RE-ZEROs/0s.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 10
I've had the RE0 (but not the RE-Zero) and currently have the ER-4P, and will not be looking for a replacement for a long time.

In several areas, the ER-4P beats the RE0, but not by tons in any area.  At the current retail prices, the RE0 is a much better value in the SHORT run.  Due to superior build and quality, however, the ER-4P will likely have a much longer lifespan.

Look for a gently used ER-4P set -- that's how I got mine 6 months ago.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 10
RE0 beats ER4P and rivals ER4S according to some. I have no idea, I never listened to ER4P/S. I had a RE0 and now own RE-ZERO.
I prefered the RE0. RE-ZERO can be used without amp, in comparison to RE0. Sound is a little more mid-focused compared to RE0 and treble is slightly less extended, bass has more quantity and a lot more when running both unamped.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405947/re0-rivals-er-4s-beats-e500-and-er-4p

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 10
To me, ER4P/S are the king of IEMs. It might be old school, but thats because in terms of accuracy they're already among the best.

I have a TF.10 that I love and jams well, but the ER6 will take the crown sometimes when I just want to listen to music and hear everything the way it was made.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I've had the RE0 (but not the RE-Zero) and currently have the ER-4P, and will not be looking for a replacement for a long time.

In several areas, the ER-4P beats the RE0, but not by tons in any area.  At the current retail prices, the RE0 is a much better value in the SHORT run.  Due to superior build and quality, however, the ER-4P will likely have a much longer lifespan.

Look for a gently used ER-4P set -- that's how I got mine 6 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to get a used er4p for about $120, too

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to get a used er4p for about $120, too

Wise choice, given their durability -- the body is a closed canon, and if you ruin the cable, Ety will replace it for $50 (and some people get new drivers when they get a new cable, depending on how generous the service tech feels that day!).

I will say, tho', that the ER4 series really sounds its best with more power than a small player can give it.  My old 30GB Zune can drive them pretty well, but the Fuze sounds a bit weak without an amp.  Even the affordable Fiio E11 with nice bass boost and high gain setting can really make the ER4P sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back