ER4P versus Triple Fi Pro (No Contest, Right?)
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
These have been my only two reference IEM's since Christmas and I cannot believe the TFP's are starting to collect dust.

I know this is a forum of opinions and we hear things differently, use different sources, cables, mods, etc but I gotta go with my gut.

Also, a big thank you to Antonyfirst for pointing out how the Shure black foamies open up the soundstage a little. I certainly hear it and it also takes away the "clinical" sound so many refer to.

I have spent a lot of time with ER4P lately and have put away TFP’s for a couple weeks. I have really warmed up to these and will say that I believe I prefer them to TFP’s (but no I am not ready to sell TFP yet...need more time)

With the Shure (olive) black foamies, at least for me there is a significant change in sound. Quite simply more bass, bigger soundstage and ZERO siblance. The Ety foamie tames the siblance and treble a little but that inner stem is a pretty hard piece of plastic whereas the olive inner piece is softer.

Comparision is:

TFP with no bass on flat (nothing boosted) but highs slightly boosted.

ER4P on Hip Hop setting (Ipod) which boosts the bottom but does not seem to change the midrange or treble at all.

If you wonder, why these particular settings it's because I find the "fullness of sound" very close with these settings which makes it easier to compare the two.

The Ety kills it!!

While I know we can teach our ears to adjust to each IEM over time the real tell tale sign for me was that when A-B’ing back and forth between same passages between songs the Ety just sounded (more correct). In fact, when sticking TFP’s back in my ears the bass is slightly better than ER4P but midrange sounds distant and treble is cloudy. (that's 2 out of 3 for Ety) 10-15 minutes later I am still hearing these deficiencies with the TFP. THEN, when I quickly switch back to ER4P within only 5 minutes, it’s like …..oh yeah!!!! There it all is...total balance! To me this is very important in deciding which you like better (which one you adjust to quicker). Can’t think of anything I would change which is astonishing with this single driver. I use to think the Etys had tiny soundstage but I swear I find it to be “quite close” to TFP’s and least horizontally.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 34
I tried them both and bought TF10. ER4P was very analytical and did not add the fun factor to the listening experience.

In any event, I feel that full cans is the way to enjoy music and I guess UF10 is quite close to what IEM can offer.

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 34
Wow ! Thanks for the analysis
wink.gif

I think I will purchase the Shure Olive soon.

I'm also wondering if I should spend $200 to get the Apuresound cable ?

Cheers

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 34
You are welcome! I think we (me and you) don't hear things differently, but sure have different tastes.

My only advice is to leave the Etys in a drawer for a week and get used to the Triple fi again. Then try to swap to Etys again and see what you like better.

If you still like the Etys more, you'll be able to recover lots of money by selling the Triple fi. Cheers!

Feb 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 34
I don't think I'd want to loose any of them, TBH.

My ears seem to have some kind of split personality as sometimes I'm in a TF10 mood (with the new comply) and sometimes it's all ER4 (Shure olives), regardless of music genre. The ER4 sure has a wider sound and a bit more sparkle at the top while TF10 is more er...fullbodied (guess that's to be taken literally as well...) to my ears.

The problem? I really like both. :p

Next time I'll board a plane, though, I'll pick the TF10 since the new comply tips gave me both comfort, seal and sound damping, all missing with my old Franken-tips, but I'll never throw away my ER4.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem? I really like both. :p

X2

I've ended up using the APS ER4 with my super portable rig and the TFP with my hotel room rig.

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 34
Why don't you buy an amp or at least install rockbox before using equalizer?

An iPod probably isn't going to cut it on defining these IEMs abilities. The Triple.fi at 32 ohm impedance and high sensitivity almost beg for an amp.

Maybe get an adapter (~$35) for the ER4P to change them to S even if you end up selling the triple.fi to get more quality. Have you tried putting those black olives on the Triple.fi yet?

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you buy an amp or at least install rockbox before using equalizer?

An iPod probably isn't going to cut it on defining these IEMs abilities. The Triple.fi at 32 ohm impedance and high sensitivity almost beg for an amp.

Maybe get an adapter (~$35) for the ER4P to change them to S even if you end up selling the triple.fi to get more quality. Have you tried putting those black olives on the Triple.fi yet?

If I don't care to use an amp (because the impedance is so low on these IEM's, and it kills the portability) and there are only a mere 5 ohms difference between the two IEM's, I think an un-amped source is plenty sufficient to compare the two. I find very little difference in amped versus un-amped for anything below 32 ohms.

I don't use foamies on UE's. I only like using foamies when absolutely necessary. To purposely modify the sound or for fit issues. For me, the fit and sound is great already with TFP using the smallest single flange. The UE sound bore diameter is quite large so different tips affect the sound to a very small degree.

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use foamies on UE's. I only like using foamies when absolutely necessary. To purposely modify the sound or for fit issues. For me, the fit and sound is great already with TFP using the smallest single flange. The UE sound bore diameter is quite large so different tips affect the sound to a very small degree.

Not to thread dump, but I also wear the small silicone UE tips. What size Shure Olive do you use?

Thanks.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to thread dump, but I also wear the small silicone UE tips. What size Shure Olive do you use?

Thanks.

Mediums are perfect on the olives but I struggle with Medium UE's. They don't stay in.

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mediums are perfect on the olives but I struggle with Medium UE's. They don't stay in.

Do they affect details, comparing to tri-flanges? I have tried soft flexes and found them muddying the sound a bit.

EDIT: Guess found the answer to my own question http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3834303-post20.html
Seems like not worthy if tri-flanges work comfort wise.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 34
blipmusic;3839819 said:

My ears seem to have some kind of split personality as sometimes I'm in a TF10 mood (with the new comply) and sometimes it's all ER4 (Shure olives), regardless of music genre. The ER4 sure has a wider sound and a bit more sparkle at the top while TF10 is more er...fullbodied (guess that's to be taken literally as well...) to my ears.

Just did a search for the Shure Olives and came up empty
confused.gif
Anybody have a link on where to purchase?

Thanks

Feb 23, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 34
During the time I'm in hunt for my reference IEM, I auditioned the SE530 and TF10 and ended of getting the SE530. Until a friend loaned me a TF10 so got to use it for a couple of weeks. On the 3rd week got a TF10.

You've got to listen for it and discover how it makes fun to your listening experience.

Draw back is every IEM I tried sounded dull to my ears after getting used to TF10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back