ER-6i vs IE7 - Both are under $100?
Nov 4, 2010 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SillyHoney

500+ Head-Fier
Which one should I go for?

I'm starting using my iPhone as a DAP more recently since I'm walking a lot so I ripped all my music to Apple Lossless and start looking for an IEM.

Let's say the difference in price between them is not an issue. And I'm not gonna spend more than $120.

Other options are welcome except Head-Direct (nothing against them at all. I just don't like the name of the company
biggrin.gif
)

I mostly listen to Classic Rock and Blues.

DAP is iPhone 4 unamped.

I'm not a bass head but I do hate bass lacking (i.e. Don't need D7000 bass but AD700 and HD555 bass are really annoying)

Coming to IEM from experience with some nice sounding full-sizes so I cannot stand thudding or bloated bass.

Transparency and clarity are the most important factors.

Thank everybody!

beerchug.gif

PS: I think I should add Superfi 5vi as another option. Sound is the top priority but having mic built-in is great since I'm using iPhone.

Oh and while I crazily baby my headphone rig, I think my future IEM will be abused since they are supposed to be on the go. So durability is needed too.

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 19
Word of caution, I highly doubt the IE7s you find for under $100 are going to be genuine unless you find them used or you've found a big sale somewhere. 

Anyway, I'd pick IE7s over the ones you've listed any day of the week. Except Wednesdays. j/k.

Durability wise, the IE7s are one of the best in any range of IEMs, including replaceable cabled ones. (super fi 5 pros come to mind for horrendous quality even with replaceable cable)

I have had 2 pairs of UE5s, 2 pairs of UE700s, and 2 pairs of super .fi 5 pros, (second pair sent as replacements from UE/Logitech). All of them failing within 3-6 months of infrequent use (maybe 3 times a week for 30 minutes to 90 minutes each. At home or walking about, never used when working out, sleeping, etc). Their cable quality is abysmal. The new warranty claim system from Logitech is ridiculous you have to call and speak to a rep to get a replacement (not hard to do, and most of them are nice, but think of the trouble, the waiting, the transfer, the 20 minute phone conversation as you get asked the same information over and over again, and the unpleasant and awkward feeling when you get an unhappy and bored rep) And I know the trouble because my UE5s and UE700s are both after Logitech bought out UE. 

Now the IE7s I've had for a year and half. I've taken them half way around the globe when studying abroad. I've carelessly thrown them in backpacks, messenger bags, luggages, stuffed them in tight pockets, sat on them. They still work as new, without a scratch or a disturbance in cable connection. 

The ER6is have extremely thin cable and the connection to the actual IEM units are fragile (have to pull on the housing not the cable when you take them off). 

SQ wise, IE7s gonna be more appealing in mos cases, more smooth and sweet and full sounding than the more neutral UE5s but not by far. And the ER6is are not going to have bass. 

SQ is more a preference thing so not going into detail here, but hopefully my personal experience with IEM qualities help. 

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #6 of 19
Here is my confession:

For one second I turned dumb and somehow an magical force manipulated my fingers to hit the Place an Order button on a... SENNHEISER IE8
angry_face.gif

Now I'm in financial trouble 
confused_face_2.gif
Hopefully the new sound (I'm currently using iBud) will ease the pain
L3000.gif

Seriously, being a member here for quite some times, I'm still amazed by the danger of Head-Fi
deadhorse.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #7 of 19
It's pretty odd that you picked up the IE8. They aren't exactly known for their amazing clarity or for them not being for bass heads.

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah! I'm thinking about exactly those things you mentioned after reading some reviews. And I'm slapping my own face. I can still cancel the order so it's not a big deal anyway.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Wow, great purchase, you want he disappointed! J/k, everyone is on the first hearing. But let em burn as much as possible, and in the end you will truly be amazed.
I'd seriously recommend NOT killing yourself immediately. Pull the plastic strap on the back to open the box, and never forget: it will improve to dizzying heights.

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 19
No I'm serious concerning about IE8. I placed the order WITHOUT reading about em (I have never done anything like that) and now after school I started reading about em and I'm scared.

Here is basically what I wrote for Macedonian Hero but I guess I should public it.

Cut off the "Dear Macedonian..." part. Here is my concerns:

Quote:

1- Mid-bass hump? This is my biggest concern! It will drive me nuts if mid-bass hump is severe. Being spoiled by some of excellent bass headphones namely Stax, D7000 and LCD-2 (or even the little cute guy M50) I'm extremely afraid of being tortured by crappy bass reproduced. You, as have great experiments on some of the best headphones out there, are annoyed by the mid-bass hump?

How about bass quality in general? More of one note or more of textured and accurate compared to your top-tier full sizes?

2- Veil? Honestly my only Sennheiser was HD555 and that was a year ago when I first turned into a Head-Fier so I don't know much about Sennheiser veil. But clarity and transparency is just right under bass quality in my priority list. Does the Sennheiser veil make the presentation dull and muddy in general? Or just a little of treble roll off?

3- What full-size should IE8 be similar to?

Relatively prominent sub-bass and clarity are my top priority when I'm on the go
redface.gif

Hopefully someone can point me to right direction
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 19
[size=100%][size=100%]die besten tiefe Bässe und Klarheit hat die TF10, aber es ist ein bisschen teuer ... or was the price of the ie8 equal to this?[/size][/size]
Then go to the TF10!

Nov 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 19
Google Translate
biggrin.gif

the best deep bass and clarity, the TF10, but it's a bit expensive.

The IE8 price is kinda in the same range with TF10 but I was crazy when I ordered the IE8 so cheaper would be better
tongue.gif

People complain too much about TF durability and I, after looking at my phone and the iBud after being used for few months, am trying to avoid something fragile at all cost
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 19

Unless you paid ~$250 for the pair, if you can still do it, cancel the order. Call up J&R, and tell them you have seen them for $240 elsewhere (ecost had a sale last week). The guy I spoke with, I believe his name was Ron, quoted me $250 shipped.

Hope this helps ^_^

Quote:
Yeah! I'm thinking about exactly those things you mentioned after reading some reviews. And I'm slapping my own face. I can still cancel the order so it's not a big deal anyway.

PS: if you found them for less than $250, please share the link!

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 19
Lol surely I will share the link if I could find it under $250. I ordered from authorized dealer in eBay (he is known here) for $275 shipped. I canceled it an hour ago actually and bought a NIB SE535 in FS sub forum.

I'm sold for the mid-range and tone balance rave of the Shure
biggrin.gif

The only concern left is that: I could not figure it out how exactly under $100 initial budget could ever turn to $360 IEM
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back