ER-4P Replacements
Aug 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LoneFurrow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, 

My 5 yr old Etymotic ER-4Ps have finally died so I'm looking for some guidance regarding replacements. I've always liked the level of detail the ER-4Ps have offered and am more interested in midrange / treble detail than huge bass. My primary source on the move is a 32GB Sony Walkman X (NWZ-X1060). Musical preferences typically rock / blues / metal. My main headphones for home use are Sony MDR-SA5000s with Ear Max Anniversary and Naim CD3. 

I haven't tried any IEMs for some time so my shortlist is based on reviews & comments on Head-Fi. Current thoughts are Shure SE535s, Earsonics SM3s, Ortofon EQ7s, Westone 3s or UM3x's, or a new pair of ER-4Ps. The GR8s may be interesting but I don't really want the hassle of a separate amp (sorry). 

Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Michael

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 8
ER-4P's are still good headphones, but I would look into Audio Technica's CK 10/100 and the Fischer Audio DBA-02. This will fit the sound signature you are looking for better. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks very much. I hadn't really considered either but other reviews suggest the ATs may be what I'm after. The DBA-02s are intriguing, different price bracket, which is nice :)

Regards,
Michael

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks very much. I hadn't really considered either but other reviews suggest the ATs may be what I'm after. The DBA-02s are intriguing, different price bracket, which is nice :)

Regards,
Michael

I wouldn't overlook the DBA-02 just because it is in a lower price bracket. "LFF" likes his DBA-02s better than his UE-10. And slaters70 likes his DBA-02 better than his SM3. And ljokerl seems to consider the DBA-02 as good as, if not better, than the Audio-Technicas. However, you would have to wait to get the DBA-02...

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I would actually go for a CK10 if you could afford it. I think it's the better package since it is built better, has a better cable, is more low profile, has a more solid straight plug among other reasons. Sound wise they are close but I feel the CK10 has the better extension on both ends but it has a spike in the upper mids that the DBA-02 does not have or is not as obvious in the DBA-02. They do sound very close if you compare the two. The DBA-02 is however the better value buy. I've had them both and sold them both. I do somewhat regret selling the CK10 but not the DBA-02.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Hi all, 

My 5 yr old Etymotic ER-4Ps have finally died so I'm looking for some guidance regarding replacements. I've always liked the level of detail the ER-4Ps have offered and am more interested in midrange / treble detail than huge bass.

Quote:
+1 for Ortofon e-Q7, sold in UK at iheadphones so you are good to go, no worries to import from outside..
Good luck in your search

I absolutely would not recommend the e-Q7 for treble detail. That's the weakest part of the e-Q7. The treble is not quite at par with the bass and midrange quality the e-Q7 has. The CK10 or DBA-02 is much closer to what you want if your ER4P bass satisfied you.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks, all. I knew it was wise to return to Head-Fi after some time away, although perhaps painful on my wallet! I'm leaning towards the CK10s at the moment as I'm not sure I can justify the extra £150 for CK100s. Probably better to put the difference towards an amp (iBasso D10, perhaps...).

I've found I much prefer triple flange tips to silicon. Any thoughts on which triple flanges would suit the CK10s? 

Rawrster - great review of the CK10 / CK100 et al. 

Thanks again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back