Equilibrated Headphones with DAC
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #31 of 35
When I said "Deep bass", I wasn't talking about bassy headphones, with the bass over mid and treble. Juste something with good sub-bass

"Sub-bass" doesn't really exist in neutral or balanced sounding headphones. Headphones that generally do well with sub-bass reproduction, like say the Fostex TH-900 (yeah its a really extreme example), are also generally regarded as "bassy headphones." More balanced sounding headphones, like the HD 598, aren't going to give you significant response at sub-bass frequencies (you know, down there in the gutter at 20 Hz).

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 35
Yes, I specified that, if you've seen m'y posts on the 1st page of this thread, I said I was living in Canada, and I said multiple time "$ CAD"

You mentioned that one headphone was $520 CAD, but that's all. One could assume that the stated budget in the first post was CAD, but that was not actually specified. Some people who live in countries other than the US just use USD for everything to keep things simple for everyone else.

"Sub-bass" doesn't really exist in neutral or balanced sounding headphones. Headphones that generally do well with sub-bass reproduction, like say the Fostex TH-900 (yeah its a really extreme example), are also generally regarded as "bassy headphones." More balanced sounding headphones, like the HD 598, aren't going to give you significant response at sub-bass frequencies (you know, down there in the gutter at 20 Hz).

What? This is false. Most planar magnetics have flat, linear bass that extends below 20 Hz. Many electrostats and even dynamics can do this as well.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #35 of 35
«I wasn't talking about bassy headphones, with the bass over mid and treble» I said that I DON'T want a bassy headphones, where the bass is over mid and treble

Alright. Just note you can still get deep bass out of a relatively balanced headphone though. HE400i is almost flat from 1000hz down to 10hz. Other headphones with a bass plateau roll off earlier - HD600 rolls off at 45dB, K701 rolls off at 50hz, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back