EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Dec 9, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #661 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the RP-21 for a few weeks now and I must admit I'm quite impressed, for 85$ these are awesome!
I needed a pair of closed cans for when the family is watching TV or a movie, my MS-1 or DR-150 leak too much and everyone complains. These babies do the trick! Great allround sound, excellent bass. I'm sure that there are better cans out there but you'll have to pay considerably more to better these significantly.
Now I wanted to try the beyer pads since everyone says that they're more comfy, not that I find these uncomfortable but wouldn't mind a little more...any way, this will sound silly but how do we get the pads off the RP-21?
I afraid I'm going to break them!
thanks for your help.

I know what you mean! Check out the OP in this thread.

Happy listening!

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #662 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know what you mean! Check out the OP in this thread.

Happy listening!

Thanks BigAmish!!
It's quite easy one you knwo what your doing. Now I'll test them out with the mod and order some Beyer pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #664 of 697
I went to my local dealer a few weeks ago to buy the RP-21 based on this thread but after actually trying them, I preferred the RP-15MC and bought those instead. Generally I'm very happy with them but I find that the inner ring on the RH side pushes against the inner part of my ear causing some discomfort after listening for a while (not an issue on the LH side at all). The pads also sit on my earlobes which is a bit annoying but not as bad as the other issue. Aside from these issues, these cans are perfect for my needs so I would really like to find a way to make them more comfortable. I've tried stretching them overnight a couple of times which has not helped. Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

Jan 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #665 of 697
Could anybody clarify is the pads I've heard called here "pleather" are what Beyer calls on their site "Leatherette"?

And I assume that these would be the best option for not altering the sound much but improving comfort?

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #667 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiesty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the leather ones, but yeah leatherette is their fancy way of describing pleather.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #669 of 697
Anyone here have any experience with the genuine leather pads shown on the link to Beyerdynamics for their aviation line?

Wondering how they might fit/affect the RP21's.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #670 of 697
I used the pleather pads (didn't want to spend the money on real leather) and there was def a difference - for the better. The Beyer pads are thicker, putting the drivers further from your ears, which may be the key.

PS - Still waiting, Pie . . .

Feb 21, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #671 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the pleather pads (didn't want to spend the money on real leather) and there was def a difference - for the better. The Beyer pads are thicker, putting the drivers further from your ears, which may be the key.

PS - Still waiting, Pie . . .

Gotcha mate!
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #672 of 697
Reason for last question is because of this link another poster added to the thread. Fullcompass as far as I know does not carry leather pads, but this link Leather pads to Beyers aviation line does. I am wondering if they might be compatible, and or if any modifications would have to be done to these pads (I.E. holes added like someone else mentioned.)

It could be a good way for some of us to aquire genuine leather pads.

Apr 9, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #673 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by terryhamel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was fortunate enough to have the RP-21 come out to recall the 20 when the yoke snapped on the RP-20 which afforded me a free upgrade. This time around, I might not be so lucky. The folks at Equation Audio say this problem is "very rare" and they will determine to swap it *if* I send it to them for analysis. The store I bought it from already said "6 months, no deal".

The problem is pretty clear to me. The part that holds all the tension is made of thin, hollow plastic. If it were made of metal or possibly a thicker plastic, it would last longer. Truthfully, that part should NEVER break. That's just a good design decision.

I'd love to recommend them because the sound from these headphones are incredible, but I'm leery of their design or material decisions. I hope Equation Audio can see the truth in this when I send them my RP-21.

For the record, EA replaced the RP-21 under warranty shortly after I wrote this. They read these forums and knew who I was when I called them. Although the design is exactly the same - plastic and susceptible to break as it has twice before - at least I have something that works. That was good on them to do that.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #674 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Psiga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's where the RP-15mc tends to break, friends:

That's exactly where mine broke too - twice. That area receives all the tension from swiveling, rotating, and adjusting through normal operation. That EA made that area from a thin plastic is surprising and I suggested they replace it with a heavier grade material - even aluminum would suffice. They didn't act on my suggestion as of 6 months ago, but to their credit, they did replace my headphones.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #675 of 697
Indeed. Tiny plastic hinges resisting the brunt of any torsional motion is just silly.

Update on my Equation purchases: My RP-21 (replaced after defect in headband led to it snapping after a few weeks of normal wear) is still my primary headphone, with hundreds of hours of play time, and no signs of the defect that my first one suffered. The RP-15 (replaced after the tiny hinges utterly failed to maintain structural integrity within a week) went to my father, who uses them sparsely and seems to be pleased.

Bass in the RP-21 is quite pleasant, though not as freakishly wonderful as the RP-15. Treble is still a bit hissy, even with some modding and lots of break-in, and I find myself missing the sparkle and air of some other cans. Sense of direction and position is nice at left and right, up and down, but fore and back are quite distorted (centered vocals sound like shrunken heads singing at my forehead). Closed design of the 21 does a nice job of keeping music in and outside sounds out, although I can't comment about outside noises like trains, planes, and automobiles because I'd rather not be seen in public wearing these things.

Overall I am happy with the RP-21, though I still find it to be physically uncomfortable to wear after a little while -- the interior presses against my ears, leading to a slight ache. Sound is nice for the price, but I'm already plotting the "gee, let's spend a few hundred dollars on the next one" upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back