EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jun 21, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #361 of 697
Mine let up their deathlock on my head until I started habitually setting them down on my desk with the drivers rotated to lay flat. This stretched the headband just enough to make them more comfortable. As far as comfort goes, I'm using a set of pleather pads from a cheap pair of Tascams, which have a thicker mat of padding aside from the ring of pleather, so my ears are quit comfortable now. It does muffle the sound a bit, but these are still wonderful.

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #362 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, there are some comfort issues. Clampiness can be altered by letting the band out a little. I have tiny flat ears, though, and still can find the cups too shallow after an hour or two. I usually don't wear them long enough at a stretch though to really let them get uncomfortable. I wouldn't yank the foam ring out if I were you. Well, unless you're willing to experiment on them.

I've already (carefully) repositioned the foam rings to be most ear-friendly and found they're simply adhered to the plastic like adhesive tape. There's less of a chance of them being destroyed, it appears, than of them losing their stickiness, in which case some thinly cut double-sided Scotch tape should suffice re-stick them. That said, I'm still hesitant to play with them too much -- which is why I'm looking into the tubing fix.

Reminder to avoid confusion: I'm referring to the RP-15MCs.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #363 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already (carefully) repositioned the foam rings to be most ear-friendly and found they're simply adhered to the plastic like adhesive tape. There's less of a chance of them being destroyed, it appears, than of them losing their stickiness, in which case some thinly cut double-sided Scotch tape should suffice re-stick them. That said, I'm still hesitant to play with them too much -- which is why I'm looking into the tubing fix.

Reminder to avoid confusion: I'm referring to the RP-15MCs.

If it's the sort of adhesive tape I think it is, it should stick forever as long as you don't get it oily or dirty.

Reading through this, I see a lot of folks are coming to similar conclusions about the upper treble that I did. I don't think they ever opened up for me, but you get used to it. They're great, but I think they would be better if they had the same bass and mids they do now, but the treble my AD900s have. They still pants all the other headphones I have in their price range.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #364 of 697
Well I modded my Equation RP21 with Beyer Velour ear pads. Now the RP21's are very confortable (my ears do not sweat as much) and the bass is a bit mellower. My wife tried them before and after and she prefers the velour pads as well. She state that the echo she had heard with the pleather pads was gone. I did not hear such echo but she has very good hearing.
wink.gif

Anyways here are some pics. Click the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #365 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I modded my Equation RP21 with Beyer Velour ear pads. Now the RP21's are very confortable (my ears do not sweat as much) and the bass is a bit mellower.

Does the velour really help our ears not sweat as much... or is the velour just absorbing your sweat?!? I would really like to know what it is about velour that people like so much.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #367 of 697
Woo! New guy in the madhouse. I came by a couple weeks ago, trying to decide if I should hunt for some $130ish used Grados, but walked away with crosshairs trained on the RP-21.

They are not exactly easy to find yet. I went roaming around the distributor list on Equation's site and found that most of these guys don't have websites, let alone websites that actually sell things. Ultimately settled on some folk from Cali (since I'm in Vegas and wanted fast shipping with no tax), who at least had a request-quote page:
http://www.jimsmusic.com/index2.html
I am not at liberty to mention the paid price, of course, but I'll say that their man Tom treated me well enough that I'll give satisfied word of mouth.

Cans arrived within a couple days.
They look like this on me
(and they kinda mess up my hair):
psiga_rp21.jpg

Before getting into the meat of my impressions, here's my background -- let it color my opinions accordingly: Tight budget. I listen mostly to high bitrate MP3s filtered through 24bit DirectX mastering plugins, on a laptop with Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB output. My workhorse has been the KSC-75. I once got refurb HD595s and LOATHED them even with break-in. I also once got some Ears EM3s, and loved their range but could not bear the in-head soundstage.

That should do it. First impressions out of the box:
OH THE PAIN. After years of using the almost-forgot-I-was-wearing-them KSC-75s, there are now suddenly two plungers and a vice on my head. A few minutes of listening told me that I would need break-in before I could say anything meaningful.

About an hour of listening and an hour of pink noise later, my first thoughts are still critical:
I miss the air of the KSC-75s. Some of my favorite songs to get lost in are suddenly sounding wrong and unapproachable. Whoever said that these are not fatiguing must have a wildly different definition of fatigue than I do. HOWEVER, I love the soundstage, the range is great except for the upper-mids, and the balance is impressive. I am keeping these for sure, and am satisfied with the purchase.

About a week later, after approx 20 hours of pink noise, and 20 hours of listening:
More comfortable to wear now. Range is smoothing out more than before -- upper-mids get better but not 'all better' by any means. Balance is overall great, and I can see why these make really strong studio mastering headphones. They still cause fatigue, but less than before. I have rediscovered my old techno collection, as the bass of a fine closed can does handily put the KSC-75s to bed. Still not getting the life that I loved from some of my favorite tracks, but I'll see how much of that can be corrected digitally.

And now currently, second week, with no more white noise but probably 50 or more hours of listening:
Headband is almost comfortable now. Earpads still kinda stink, though not enough for me to pay $25 for Beyers. Fatigue is much lessened, but honestly still disappointing. Sound improvements over time seem to have plateaued for now. Loving the 50mm drivers. Spent hours tweaking my digital correction software, ultimately adding BBE Sonic Maximizer to my filter chain, and now have a lot of the sense of 'revelation' that I was hoping for (and did not get) without correction. Ultimately happy with purchase, and will probably use these until I can get something in the few-hundred-dollars range.

So those are the general impressions. Let's get into some specifics:

Bass:
Satisfying. Neutral tone. Reaches quite deep in freqency. Not a lot of impact or attack though. Neither boomy (whew) nor thundering (aww).

Low-mid:
Satisfying. Neutral tone. Good to me, and I have not needed to give it any digital correction or adjustment at all.

High-mid:
Recessed. Lacking soul in vocals. Weakness of the RP-21 as far as I'm concerned.

High:
Satisfying, for the most part. When forced, it can be dry and white, sharp like a papercut. Not wincingly shrill (as the KSC-75s can be), but not sparkling, either. Nice range, at any rate.

Comfort:
As suggested by others, fold the cups of the headphone flat when they are not in use, as doing so stretches the band nicely; otherwise these headphones clamp pretty hard. Padding is dense and not very forgiving; it takes tens of hours to begin making them comfortable. Despite the clamping pressure, these headphones will still move if you move dramatically. The cups are large enough to totally envelop my ears, but shallow so that the edges of my ears press against the inner foam.

Surprisingly little sweat. My summer-time room temperature is about 85f/30c, so I was expecting sweat -- but really don't get it. HOWEVER, I feel some fatigue merely by having them on, even without any sound. This may just be that I spent the past 5 years wearing open slip-on headphones. Either way, the ear pressure disappoints me.

Build:
Holding them, I feel like they'll be lasting for years and years. Plastic is thick enough to feel sturdy. Cable is detachable, plugging into the left cup; can lock into the cup by twisting the jack slightly after plugging in. I'll leave it unlocked, since the silly-long cable will probably be stepped on some day, and I'd rather yank the cable out than launch the whole set of cans off my head.

Driveability:
Holy God do these things drive easily. 50mm 32 Ohm drivers, they require less juice than my old KSC-75s which are 60 Ohm.

Comparisons with the few headphones that I've known:
They tear the throat out of the HD595s as far as I'm concerned (maybe I got a bum refurb).
Bass isn't as beautiful as the EM3s, but balance and soundstage is staggering in contrast.
Less sparkle than KSC-75s, vastly less comfortable, but aside from those two things, they are simply in another class entirely.

Last words:
These are serious headphones. At home in a studio setting, they are critical and technically balanced (aside from naughty upper-mids). These are not easy-listening headphones. Unforgiving of things like YouTube. Fatiguing to me on things that should be effortless, such as audio books, and games with light ambient sounds. They are pretty great for the price, all considered. Satisfied with my purchase, and they have definitely made me more picky (for better or worse).

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:40 PM Post #368 of 697
Great impressions and conveying of he information. I continue to enjoy mine and although the HD650's are more open the two different presentation are very welcome.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #369 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the velour really help our ears not sweat as much... or is the velour just absorbing your sweat?!? I would really like to know what it is about velour that people like so much.

I am sweating less, and the "stickiness" of the pleather is gone.
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #370 of 697
Psiga, welcome to head-fi, and that is one awesome first post. Other newbies would be well to follow your lead.

I share your opinions of the performance of the RP21's treble. You said it better than I have been able to so far with your description: "When forced, it can be dry and white, sharp like a papercut. Not wincingly shrill (as the KSC-75s can be), but not sparkling, either." Dry and white is how I would often describe it. It sounds like some speakers a buddy of mine had in college, I think they were Yamaha studio monitors. The treble was all there, and it wasn't shrill, but is was just so DRY that it didn't sound right.

But I liked the bass performance better than you did. I think the attack and punch are quite good, much much better than most in this price class.

Anyway, nice commentary.

Jun 23, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #371 of 697
Thanks for the welcome, folks. I do try to hit the ground running. ;]

I special-ordered a set of 15s today, to give to my father. Will take about a week for them to arrive, and then a few days of pink noise, but I'll be able to give some thoughts on them, and how they compare to the 21s, before handing them over to him.

On the topic of bass, I guess it'd be good to say more:
They've got impressive, surrounding bass activity. Drums outside the head, that sort of thing. Enough energy to get into techno and the like, though it feels to me that bass is not emphasized (nor overemphasized).

I'd say that they sound 'rumbling' but not 'thundering'. Maybe it's a concession in order to keep the overall balance? A smooth musical range of low frequencies, rather than risk bunching things up in the name of greater impact?

Admittedly, I'd like some extra slam. I got the impression that the smooth, jazzy bass emphasis of the RP-22s would not provide that, so I just took the 21s for what they're worth.

And, all said, they are worth taking.

Hm. There's something else that I forgot to mention, but it's not coming to me right now. Maybe later.

Jun 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #372 of 697
Ah! I remember now: It's impressive how well these things behave. I rarely get any obvious clipping, crackling, repeating when pushing the RP-21s around with filters. When feeding them weird EQ shapes in Ozone 3, they dutifully reproduce for a good while before sounding like they've reached their physical limits. When they do break, they tend to only break on specific tracks/samples of songs that are shoddily mixed into the rest.

Bass update:
While writing the above paragraph, I was tinkering around with Ozone 3 and Sonic Maximizer some more. Previously had a little harmonic-exciter working on the lows with Ozone 3 (which took all of the natural character of the RP-21's bass and made more of it), but just now tried trading that for heavier envelope correction with Sonic Maximizer. It's giving me a lot more of the attack that I wanted. I'm a happy puppy right now.

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #373 of 697
I recieve my RP-21 yesterday.
The sound is good,but I've felt treble was slightly muffled.
I removed the sponge rubber for the driver protection.
The sound changed more smooth and brilliant.
I recommend this simple mod.

Sorry bad English.

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #374 of 697
I d-jayed at my favorite bar tonight, using my rp-21s. Isolation is excellent, and I had a blast. This is one of the many tasks I picked them for and I'm satisfied with my choice over V6 or HD 280 pro. I will be ordering a coiled cord and maybe velour Beyer pads for increased practicality. On a side note, some hot girls thought I was wearing ear protection. Ha.

Jun 24, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #375 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by sulcata_geo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recieve my RP-21 yesterday.
The sound is good,but I've felt treble was slightly muffled.
I removed the sponge rubber for the driver protection.
The sound changed more smooth and brilliant.
I recommend this simple mod.

Sorry bad English.

Funny, I looked at doing this last night when I took off my ear pads (inspired by the results with the K81DJ), but got scared off when I noticed that the foam disc seemed to be glued in place. Any suggestions as to clean foam disc removal? How easy were they to take off?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back