EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jun 15, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #331 of 697
I haven't heard any downside to using the Beyer leather pads. I do notict the bass more but it is just damn solid and not boomy. The transparency and openess to the sound is very fine. I have crimson on mine but I think the black would look better but I think I am going to change the color of mine to black (the plastic cooper).

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #332 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bit of added warmth and no drawbacks...sounds nice. I do wonder if/hope the pleather substitutes will be as good of a match. pabbi1 and swt61, any updated impressions?

I haven't been travelling, and just cannot listen to the RP-21 when the HE60 / Blue Hawaii are available... but, I will be on the road next week, so more then.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #333 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, these are the elusive genuine leather pads. And in addition to being much more comfortable, they add just a very slight additional warmth to the sound, which I think is good for the RP21.

How does one go about ordering these genuine leather pads? Which model?

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #334 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been travelling, and just cannot listen to the RP-21 when the HE60 / Blue Hawaii are available... but, I will be on the road next week, so more then.

Cool, thanks.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #335 of 697
Reply to Clincher09 #310

Well lets see, Major Bass difference? yes, but IMO it isn't primarily that the 22x has more Bass I do not think that a completely accurate statement of the 22X. If you want a very accurate deep controlled Bass then the 22x or RP-21 are going to be satisfying. They both do Bass very well. The 22X is going to sound IMO warmer but without sacrificing the clarity of the mids and highs. If I were thinking between the two ( and I love the 22X ) I would go for the RP-21 because IMO it does well with all musical styles. The 22X has a color to it which I enjoy in live performance recordings and older Jazz recordings but over all I think the 21 is an all around great listen if you like true to the recording sound with good accurate reproduction. As I have said before, if you think you might like the 22X or the 21 and cannot listen or cannot get a good return policy then the RP-21 might be the way to go. The price difference IMO does not reflect a step up in SQ, performance or quality they are two different headphones with different prices. I hope this is helpful.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #337 of 697
The RP-21's are not designed as a portable but are built strong and have the swiveling ear cup design. They are full size cans but fit into a back pack nicely. I do not own an MP3 player but the RP-21 sounds fantastic straight out of my PCDP. If I understand your question correctly I would say yes.

Jun 18, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #338 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does one go about ordering these genuine leather pads? Which model?

Unfortunately the real leather ones you can only get if you custom order from Beyer's "Manufacture" Website.

However, the "pleather" pads are available from Beyer USA and several people have reported they work well on the RP21. Just call Beyer USA (go to their website for the number).

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #339 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by lt.milo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would the rp-21's be an okay semi-portable set of cans straight from my zune?

I don't have a zune but it sounds great straight from my ZV:M and my Meizu M6.

Jun 18, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #340 of 697
Wasn't there a Tampa meet last week where the RP-21 and RP-22X were going to be in the house? I wonder if I missed the impressions from that meet?

On another note
smily_headphones1.gif
: I received my mSeed Spirit today and while it is to early for concrete impressions the Spirit does seem to be a special product. More later...

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #341 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't there a Tampa meet last week where the RP-21 and RP-22X were going to be in the house? I wonder if I missed the impressions from that meet?

On another note
smily_headphones1.gif
: I received my mSeed Spirit today and while it is to early for concrete impressions the Spirit does seem to be a special product. More later...

It was to be Boomana's RP22 and my RP21. However I did not make it to the meet. Sorry.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #342 of 697
Sorry, I haven't read this entire thread...and holy smokes I don't think I've seen a thread this long on a new product line for a while, at least not this long this fast. Anyway.....

We just got some sample of the 22, 21, and 15 (i think that's the model numbers) and I thought they were quite promising sounding. They seem pretty bass heavy, but in a particularly good way. They very low bass is strong without turning too much into a mid-bass murk. ANd the balance between bass/mids/highs seemed pretty good to me for a sealed can; though I might complain a bit about a withdrawn midrange, it's well within the norms for sealed cans and they certainly don't sound "honky" like most do.

I'm quite excited about the prospect of another legitimate sealed can entering the patchwork frey of this category, and look forward to some extended listening after break-in. However, I'm impressed at first blush, and am going to have to go back and reread this thread as I listen to get some feedback from you guys.

Great job, Eartools, I think you've jumped the bar and have a horse in the race for good sealed cans!

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #343 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I haven't read this entire thread...and holy smokes I don't think I've seen a thread this long on a new product line for a while, at least not this long this fast. Anyway.....

We just got some sample of the 22, 21, and 15 (i think that's the model numbers) and I thought they were quite promising sounding. They seem pretty bass heavy, but in a particularly good way. They very low bass is strong without turning too much into a mid-bass murk. ANd the balance between bass/mids/highs seemed pretty good to me for a sealed can; though I might complain a bit about a withdrawn midrange, it's well within the norms for sealed cans and they certainly don't sound "honky" like most do.

I'm quite excited about the prospect of another legitimate sealed can entering the patchwork frey of this category, and look forward to some extended listening after break-in. However, I'm impressed at first blush, and am going to have to go back and reread this thread as I listen to get some feedback from you guys.

Great job, Eartools, I think you've jumped the bar and have a horse in the race for good sealed cans!

While I realize you know what break-in is, give these phones 150 hours or more and you will find the frequency range more balanced and the mids to take their place in the lineup. No they don't sound like my HD650's but the 650's don't sound like the 21's but I have to admit that I enjoy both equally as much but for different reasons.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #344 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I realize you know what break-in is, give these phones 150 hours or more and you will find the frequency range more balanced and the mids to take their place in the lineup.

You can bet I'll post here again next week. The cans are breaking in as we speak and they'll be running all weekend. (Don'tcha just love those 500 track playlists.)

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #345 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the balance between bass/mids/highs seemed pretty good to me for a sealed can; though I might complain a bit about a withdrawn midrange, it's well within the norms for sealed cans

Withdrawn mids wasn't my own first impression with these cans. But I can see that the mids could indeed be overshadowed by the bass, which is a little on the strong side. My problem was with the highs - say the top octave of a piano and up.

My own early impressions (pre 150 hours) go like this.

First impression (unpacking my shipment): wow, funky box artwork!

Second impression (Cassandra Wilson, Sankofa): ooh, very nice vocals. Mmmmmmm.

Third impression (Cassandra Wilson, Come On In My Kitchen): the lows are nice but hey, what's wrong with the cymbal? It doesn't sound like a cymbal, it sounds like a human beatbox making a cymbal sound by hissing through his teeth. This isn't good.

Fourth impression (Patricia Barber, Touch Of Trash): yup, those high and sharp percussive sounds don't sound realistic. And they're significantly muted too. But everything else is awfully nice.

Fifth and sixth impressions (24 hours of burn-in later, Come On In My Kitchen and Touch Of Trash again): maybe there's some improvement in the highs, but it's not enough. I wonder if I can get past this. I wonder if more burn-in will help.

Burn-in continues. I'll suspend further critique until 150 hours at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back