EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
Jun 9, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #271 of 697
Got my pseudo replacements yesterday (genuine Beyer 770), and here is the result:

rp21_beyered.jpg

rp21_beyered2.jpg

The bass is a bit boomy, with a (minor) wierd echo, so it may have been the pads, or my eq (Zen Vision, Rock), so I'll play with that a bit more, but exactly what I was after comfort wise, and certainly liveable for what I wanted (portable use).

Let me also quickly add, there is no loss of bass, what I might be hearing is an extra bass emphasis. Still hella good.

Total, with pads: $118, shipped. Oh, and a cable from Alex ($75), but we can't count that here, eh?

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #273 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are those leather? If so, where did you order them? In another thread, we're all helters-skelter looking for somewhere to order leather Beyer pads alone.

Nope, not leather. They're the vinyl pads posted a page or two back.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #274 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my pseudo replacements yesterday (genuine Beyer 770), and here is the result:

rp21_beyered.jpg

rp21_beyered2.jpg

The bass is a bit boomy, with a (minor) wierd echo, so it may have been the pads, or my eq (Zen Vision, Rock), so I'll play with that a bit more, but exactly what I was after comfort wise, and certainly liveable for what I wanted (portable use).

Let me also quickly add, there is no loss of bass, what I might be hearing is an extra bass emphasis. Still hella good.

Total, with pads: $118, shipped. Oh, and a cable from Alex ($75), but we can't count that here, eh?

Mine should show up Monday. They look better than expected from your pics. Did Alex use the locking mechanism on the cable?

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #276 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes did he use the locking mechanism? Did he find the part or did he use the one in your stock cable? Lastly, is Alex AKZip? thanks.

Nope, just regular mini - we couldn't find anything locking. In fact, since I didn't get as stock cable (???), I've never had a locking one, and, haven't had any problems. IFF someone finds a locking Neutrik or Switchcraft, by all means... but I'll keep the Neutriks for now. And yes, Alex is [AK]zip.

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #277 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, just regular mini - we couldn't find anything locking. In fact, since I didn't get as stock cable (???), I've never had a locking one, and, haven't had any problems. IFF someone finds a locking Neutrik or Switchcraft, by all means... but I'll keep the Neutriks for now. And yes, Alex is [AK]zip.

What kind of material did you choose for the cable? Copper, silver, silver plated copper, other?

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #278 of 697
Skylab,

Can you please make a direct comparison of the RP-21s with the Denon D2000s? I'm eyeing the Denons as a future upgrade...maybe one or two years down the road if my itchy clicking finger can control itself.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #279 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of material did you choose for the cable? Copper, silver, silver plated copper, other?

Since this is somewhat proprietary, I really couldn't say, well, except to say 'Other'.... :)

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #280 of 697
well i just got my rp-21's the other day. they sound pretty darn good for the money. a lot less fatigue compared to my sony mdr-cd3000's or grado sr-80. however, do the headbands headband clamp loosen up after some time? as of this moment they feel like vice grips on my head! I've read about replacing the pads in prior posts, but I'd rather try to cheap it out.

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #281 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

Can you please make a direct comparison of the RP-21s with the Denon D2000s? I'm eyeing the Denons as a future upgrade...maybe one or two years down the road if my itchy clicking finger can control itself.

Only sort of. I only have D5000's, not D2000's, although they are very similar. After 100 hours are on the RP21, I will start to make some comparisons.

Jun 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #283 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by PbR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the RP-21 compare to the MS1? Am looking for a closed headphone, after my MS1.

I'll be able to tell you soon. My new RP-21s are in the mail & my only other full-size cans are MS-1s.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #284 of 697
Yeah, if you lay them out with the cups turned at a 90-degree angle, so their edges are touching each other, the clamping force decreases a bit. I find mine much more comfortable than when I first got them. Also, burn in improves the sound quite a bit. I'd say mine have about 30 hours on them, and the highs, which initially seemed a little muffled, cleared up. In addition, the bass got a little more distinct and punchy. (I can hear bass guitar notes very distinctly, and with excellent separation.)

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #285 of 697
Hey all, first post here, and just starting out as an audiophile. I was looking for the best closed cans under about 100 euro's, and had decided upon the RP-21. Unfortunately, it's nowhere available where I live. I can get the RP-22x easily though. I could also import the 21 from the US, but then it will be more expensive than the 22x, and it's a bigger hassle to do so. What do you guys, as experts on this subject, recon will be the best choice? Pay extra for the 21 over the 22x? I don't know what I should think about the more coloured sound that the 22x gives. I listen mostly to jazz (from the 60's onwards, but mainly lots of modern jazz from the last couple of years), and also rock and rap occasionally. Yes, I know this topic has been, slightly, beaten to death, but still I'd like to know your opinion. Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back