EQUATION AUDIO EARTOOLS: REVIEW
May 7, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #151 of 697
Frankly, in this industry, a lot of pricing is "what the market will bear".

You think it costs Sennheiser $50 to make an HD650?

There are R&D costs for sure, but in the end, the price is what the market will bear, which isn't always the same thing as a fair price.

May 7, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #152 of 697
The RP21 seemed to have made a favorable showing at the Tampa mini-meet this past weekend. As the big Tampa meet is next month, I just ordered the RP-22Xs for comparison.

Folks keep mentioning the Ultrasones in this thread. Though I liked a lot about the 2500s, there was too much I didn't like to hold on to them. I'm hoping these may take their place as good cans for work.

May 7, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #153 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RP21 seemed to have made a favorable showing at the Tampa mini-meet this past weekend. As the big Tampa meet is next month, I just ordered the RP-22Xs for comparison.

Folks keep mentioning the Ultrasones in this thread. Though I liked a lot about the 2500s, there was too much I didn't like to hold on to them. I'm hoping these may take their place as good cans for work.

Vicky, the RP21 is very nice! Since it is fed via a 1/8" mini I am thinking of having Fitz make me a 1.25 meter or a 1.5 meter mini to mini IC and then I it would be easier to use the RP21 as a transportable can. Good luck.

May 7, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #154 of 697
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vicky, the RP21 is very nice! Since it is fed via a 1/8" mini I am thinking of having Fitz make me a 1.25 meter or a 1.5 meter mini to mini IC and then I it would be easier to use the RP21 as a transportable can. Good luck.

Miguel, the comparison is dependent on you (btw) bringing the RP21s back to Tampa on the 8th. Just thought I'd let you know.
biggrin.gif
Will be curious to see/hear the Fitz IC as well.

May 8, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #157 of 697
The cable issue, as pointed out before, is the need for an extra slim plug for the earcup end - about 7.5mm is the maximum, and all the *nice 3.5mm plugs are 8mm and up in the barrel - I've checked.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, afaik the rp-15mc has a longer cable than the others, which is odd because it's the most portable model. I believe this is where the question of portable-length cables came up.

An hd485 cable fits in the jack but does not lock in. It should stay in as well as it does in an hd485, though. The hd485 cable is about 2" longer than the stock rp-21 cable, but only costs $2.85 (without threaded adapter).

The only DIY-able 3.5mm plug I've seen that looks slim enough is Calrad model 30-490 aka Markertek part "M-3.5S SLIM" - i doubt calrad is the only importer.

I've never held one in my hand, but it costs more than an hd485 cable.

if you're hell bent for leather and don't mind voiding the warranty, you could install a mini-xlr in the earcup and use AKG cables.

May 8, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #158 of 697
Why not just cut the stock straight cable, take out a piece, and solder it back together? Wrap the splice in heat-shrink tubing and no one will know the difference. It's a high-level signal so the splice will be inaudible.

May 8, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #159 of 697
No reason other than inelegance.

May 8, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #160 of 697
That and I don't trust myself to undertake such on my only cable. If I had a second one I would be willing to try it though.

May 8, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #161 of 697
I am thinking about either the RP-15MC's or RP-21's in addition to Grado SR-60's. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about comparing these phones. It would be for play from my Creative Zen Vision M and Laptop and would be replacing a pair of 2000ohm Sennheieser HD424's (about 30 years old, sound good but just can't get enough power to sound great from the sources I use). I would be leaning toward the RP-15MC's because they are closer to the $50-70 range I am in. Any opionions are appreciated.

May 8, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #162 of 697
yeah, you could just cut up a stock cable, but I'd only do it if I had a second one. I'd still want one of the studio length ones around.

I cant really compare it to the SR-60, but I'd say (from memory, though I can go check later) that the SR-125 is brighter than the RP-15mc (which might affect how detailed you perceive the two being), about as comfortable (RP-15 is clampy, Grado is just abrasive), and I think they have similar soundstages (meaning both less than my AD900). Might warrant an in depth comparison, but I'm afraid I wouldn't have much to say or be too willing to vaunt one of the other as a matter of fact.

Also, Grado is gonna be totally open. RP-15mc has some decent isolation.

May 8, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #163 of 697
The cables on all models are quite long which makes it harder for mobile use. My Zen Vision:M is on backorder now so I can't tell you how it will sound yet, but I'm going to pick up my RP-21s right now
eggosmile.gif

May 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #164 of 697
Inkmo, what about your latest impressions (however incomplete) of the RP-15MC vs. the ATH-SJ5? Worth the switch unamped?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back