Equalization with Loudspeakers. Not with PC as source.
Feb 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you do it?

I know a lot of people do it with a PC and headphones, or an MP3 player/ipod as source, but I'm talking about a normal home stereo.

I'm interested in geting the best frequency response out of my system and know that equalisation is the way to do it. I used to install competition car audio and equalisation was a cornerstone of a good system.

My system is, working backwards, Omega Superhemps and an Omega Deep Hemp, RWA Sig 30.2, Rotel Preamp/tuner, fed by a Linn LP12/Imod/DVD as CDP.

Some minor room treatment is coming too.

I guess what I'm looking for is a stand alone equalizer unit to sit between the preamp and amp (maybe?). I've never seen anything like that and don't know if they are available or at what price. Not sure how many centres I'd want, the more the merrier I guess.

I intend to use an SPL meter and test tones/sine sweeps.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 37
I'm not generally opposed to equalizing (and regularly use it with my DAP to compensate for the portable headphones' FR flaws), but an analog equalizer with its multitude of electronics components in the signal path represents a serious source of signal degradation. That's what I experienced with my Technics SH-9010, a 2x5-band parametric equalizer from the eighties, even when set to flat. Therefore I never used it for music listening, just as assistant for crossover-network tuning. I don't know if newer implementations corrupt the signal any less.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 37
There are plenty of clean sounding pro-grade equalizers. Rane and DBX make excellent ones. A good sounding analogue equalizer is a lot cheaper than a good sounding digital one, so most people go with analogue. Parametric EQ is much more flexible than graphic, but it's a more complicated learning curve. Your particular equalizer must have been out of spec. My EQ is totally transparent at flat.

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 37
Good point, it would have to be a pretty high quality unit to not degrade the signal. My system is very revealing and i couldn't stand any audible degradation of the sound. Maybe the advantages would be worth a slight corruption. it's a balance I guess. I'd expect any decent equalizer to be pretty expensive too.

I remember reading years ago about an automatic computerised system where you plug it in, sit a microphone on a tripod and push go. It played tones and adjusted the response accordingly. Was expensive but can't find any details now.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are plenty of clean sounding pro-grade equalizers. Rane and DBX make excellent ones. A good sounding analogue equalizer is a lot cheaper than a good sounding digital one, so most people go with analogue. Parametric EQ is much more flexible than graphic, but it's a more complicated learning curve. Your particular equalizer must have been out of spec. My EQ is totally transparent at flat.

See ya
Steve

Thanks, I'll Google them.

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 37
Also, I haven't found that the systems that automatically adjust to the room work very well. Even professional tools like that for live sound installation still require fine tuning. Doing the rough balance is easy. The fine tuning is what takes work, so the automatic adjustment doesn't save you much time or effort. If money is no object, I would suggest get a really good digital EQ that does both parametric and graphic. I would imagine that would be in the tens of thousands of dollars though. It's a lot cheaper to just spend $800 or a grand and get a really good analogue graphic EQ.

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Your particular equalizer must have been out of spec.

So every other additional component (such as preamps) in the signal path I have used must have been out of spec as well...
cool.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 37
I thought you said that the equalizer was the component that was adding signal degradation, even when set flat. I don't know what the preamp has to do with it.

When my equalizer is set to flat, there is absolutely no audible difference between it and the same circuit cut out of the line. That's why I am guessing there was something wrong with the EQ you used to have.

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

I thought you said that the equalizer was the component that was adding signal degradation, even when set flat. I don't know what the preamp has to do with it.

Well, the equalizer wasn't the only electronics component I tried that caused audible signal degradation when in the signal path.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the equalizer wasn't the only electronics component I tried that caused audible signal degradation when in the signal path.

Did you try anything you know was clean to see if it might be that particular input, rather than the component itself?

See ya
Steve

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 37
generally speaking I am against eqs for no other reason than most people tend to use them incorrectly. Unless you know what you are doing an eq can be a pandoras box. I know Steve will tell you different but the learning curve can be steep. One thing to think about is room treatments they are relatively easy to set up.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Did you try anything you know was clean to see if it might be that particular input, rather than the component itself?

Let's leave it at that! I know that you only take signal degradation on sound-transducer level seriously.

That's why I'd give a bit of a warning to stevenkelby in view of the pretended «trasparency». By all means try the EQ in your chain before buying it! Head-Fiers with experience with high-grade studio gear have stated that really good and passably transparent analog EQs cost half a fortune.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 37
Here is Rane... See graphic and paremetric equalizers

Pro Audio Products by Type

Here is DBX

dbx® Professional Products

My equalizer is the ME60s. It looks like the cost of digital equalizers has come way down since I was in the market. That Rane DEQ60 looks nice.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back