EQ'ing vintage headphones = Amazing sound (Koss HV/XLC)
Aug 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kesslerjesus

100+ Head-Fier
So after my ipod touch died, I decided not to sell my old Cowon iAudio M3 and because I could not find some DBI Pro700s on sale, I decided to go cheap and use my old Koss HV/XLC ($25). They look pretty cool, but the headphone pads have rotted away, and the 2nd-hand headphone leather-ish pads I had installed on them were painful on the ears. Luckily, these cans have a pad-twist-and-lock feature kind of like Ultrasone has on their headphones.

So after modding them with some Sony MDR-V700 pads (5$ off ebay), I decided to fiddle with the EQ settings on my mp3 player.

As many of you already know, most old-school cans tend to have muddy lows and recessed mids that sound horrible in conjunction with an almost non-existant top end. So what I did was set the EQ settings to Acoustic, up the bass by 3db, and the treble by 7db. The compression settings were set to Precut: -4.5db, Threshold: OFF, Ratio: 4:1, Knee: SOFT, and Release: 500ms.

Now these old cans rival my Beyer DT770s (32ohm version) and actually have a better mid-range.

Have any of you had some luck using old-school headphones and getting good sound out of them?

Here are some pics of the mod.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Amazing...! I have some vintage headphones somewhere, but never tried playing with eq settings. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back