1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

EQ = sound quality?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by skamp, Apr 25, 2012.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6
  1. Mshenay
    Quote:
    indeed, I like a very colorful EQ for EDM and a VERY netutral eq [or no eq] for Sound Tracks

2. JohnSantana
    so what about using better amp ? or even DAC ?
    How do we determine that if using DAC / amp like Fiio E11 can actually boost sound quality ?

3. liamstrain
    Quote:

That's a whole other set of discussions. Personally, I would rather have amps and dacs that measure neutral and implement a separate eq somewhere in the chain (digital or other), rather than using the dac/amp as a "hardware eq." That gives me more flexibility with a wider range of headphones and usages. 

JohnSantana likes this.
  4. JohnSantana
    Quote:
    Thanks for the reply Liam, yes I'm using Windows Media player Eq and also DENON iPhone apps player (10 band graphical EQ).

what does that mean by "measure neutral" ? I thought that by using EQ and Amp the sound is no longer neutral.

5. liamstrain
    By measure neutral, I mean that the dac and amp do not color the sound. No bass boost, no audible roll-off, etc. A wire with gain (and if desired, maybe some tubey second order distortion) - but no permanent/uncontrolled changes to frequency response. That's the EQ's job. 

JohnSantana likes this.
  6. skamp

Yes. And this is how an amp that's normally powerful enough to drive a pair of not so sensitive headphones can easily get maxed out. With my subtractive EQ and Replaygain on, I measured a volume reduction of a full 12 dB on my system!

7. Joe Bloggs Contributor
    Quote:

Yup, before I got a Fiio E17 with 12dB of gain I had to cheat by letting the EQ go above the 0dB line and use a limiter down the chain for insensitive headphones.

8. firev1
    Quote:
    I think you will love Engineer's Filter Joe Bloggs.

Anyways, I did not post as promised on the advanced eq thread as promised but I would like to say the concept of it and doing it has really given new life to my headphones. To prevent clipping I usually set global gain down by 3db. Never mind reduction in non linear performance, the gains in terms of FR and my experience that I got makes it totally worth it! 

As for replaygain, I decided to have it of and move the volume knobs as I need it. 

9. Mshenay
    Quote:

Yea I want to set my Global Gain dwn in my presets as well. I'm so used to FooBars auto zero function, although I know some one here just told me how to do it so I'll have to back tracka little!

10. Joe Bloggs Contributor
    Quote:

11. Mshenay
    Quote:

yhanks

12. zunehdrocks
    This is an old thread but whatever...
    Accudio from golden ears automatically adjusts eq to make popular headphones neutral. They base it on their fq response measurements.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6