Entry level tube amps - Recommendations (Please?!)

Which one would you recommend? (3 votes each)

• Total voters
Dec 29, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #16 of 46
Thanks for the response, it really helps me out since I’m still new to the whole game.

You try the lyr 2 or the wa6? Any opinion on what the difference are beside hybrid and transistor coupled.

Does the lyr have more closer to a solid state kind of a sound or does it still sound like tubes?

Lyr is warmer than the Asgard but still not totally tubey if you're looking to EQ the sound rather than just put clean power into the headphones. WA6 is slightly more rounded and has more precise imaging but if you're thinking of using a warmifying boombasticator instead of an actual amplifier not even the WA6 (and don't even think about the cleaner sounding WA22) will be a good option other than if you plan on rolling tubes to a set that really warmifies for a truly boombastic sound so syrupy you better keep the amp away from ants.

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #17 of 46
how you liking the Lyr 1?

The Lyr 1 has worked really well, but it, and the Asgard, are the only headphone amps that I've ever owned. The Woo Audio WA6 is tempting, even if only from an aesthetic viewpoint. But I need to understand how it sounds, because sound matters the most!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 46
any opinions on the APPJ Audio PA1502A tube amp? have read good things about it after someone brought it to my attention

I had it and it was actually pretty good! Tube rolling is cheap with great sonic changes.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #19 of 46
To thread Op, there's excellent post about hp impedance above, do need to be care.
For darkvoice336se an impedance hp as low as 100 Ohm is not suitable. Much distortion happen.
For OTL tube that is a rule do not use with low impedance can. But how much is "low" I'm not sure or give a number, just can share my case which I experience it.
Btw, with hi impendance can, for exam 300 Ohm like hd650 and hd800s of Senn, not mean they will sound quite well when driven by a same tube amp.
My tube can drive well hd650 but not hd800s (unless change set of tubes).

So any comment just for reference unless commenters have exact combo as you're asking

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #21 of 46
I saw some drama happened while I was asleep... that is unfortunate. I do believe that all feedback is useful both positive and constructive but attacking someone because of their opinion is not why we are here.

On another topic, the WA6 and Lyr 2 are more on the neutral side, are they like barely distinguishable form a SS or do they have that tube sound (maybe with the right tubes)?

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #22 of 46
I will toss the La Figaro 339 into the mix...receptive to tube rolling,enough balls to drive planars.

Dec 29, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 46
On another topic, the WA6 and Lyr 2 are more on the neutral side, are they like barely distinguishable form a SS or do they have that tube sound (maybe with the right tubes)?

I personally thought the WA6 was relatively distinguishable, maybe not as different compared to a solid state like the Bottlehead crack, but still distinguishable.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #26 of 46
Any opinion on it - how is for tube rolling and how is it by default?

I used to own the WA2 and in comparison the 339 isnt quite as syrupy and doesnt throw a mile wide stage like the WA2.
The Woo didnt have the power to drive an LCD-2.The 339 drives my Blackwood,which is a tougher assignment than the Audeze.

I bought mine used from a fellow Head-Fier and it was super warm when I got it...I opted for brighter tubes as most of my HPs lean to the warm side.

The 339 pops up on Massdrop for under 600.00 from time to time.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #27 of 46
Dec 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 46
Hows the Bottlehead Crack? I see it mentioned a lot

I honestly wouldn't recommend it for a first tube amp. The output impedance on it is ridiculously high and can cause pairing issues with lower impedance headphones. Unless you strictly only own high impedance headphones, wouldn't be my first choice.

The La Figaro 339 is also made by the people who made the Darkvoice 336SE, which are also pretty popular, so like @monsterzero suggested, it may be worth looking into.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #29 of 46
I used to own the WA2 and in comparison the 339 isnt quite as syrupy and doesnt throw a mile wide stage like the WA2.
The Woo didnt have the power to drive an LCD-2.The 339 drives my Blackwood,which is a tougher assignment than the Audeze.

I bought mine used from a fellow Head-Fier and it was super warm when I got it...I opted for brighter tubes as most of my HPs lean to the warm side.

The 339 pops up on Massdrop for under 600.00 from time to time.
How is it for rolling? are the tubes super expensive?
And i will sat that it looks really nice

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #30 of 46
I personally thought the WA6 was relatively distinguishable, maybe not as different compared to a solid state like the Bottlehead crack, but still distinguishable.

The WA6 does look interesting, and it appears to be capable of driving low-impedance headphones. I don't want to lose detail, and I like well-controlled bass, but I like the warmth of the tube gear that I've heard. So maybe a little 'tubey' is right for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back