Entry Level Tube Amp?
May 6, 2008 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DNT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I've been spending some time with my Aria now. Overall I'm totally satisfied but I'm very curious about tube amps and want to explore it more. So can you please give me some inputs and recommendations what to start of with. Thanks so much. Have a great day.

May 6, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 14
What is your budget for a tube amp and what type of cans do you have? Oh and sorry about your wallet
wink.gif

May 6, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 14
What headphones do you want to use with it and what kind of music?

Keep in mind that there's excellent value in the For Sale Forum - help out another Head-Fi'er, too.

May 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm currently using DT770/80 and MS1. Well I listen to almost all music. From rock, hiphop to newage, jazz, classical. I'm thinking of upgrading to some cans that are more musical. My budget would be $400-$500, but the less the better as I'm still in highschool. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 14
I have taken Little Dot MK line, Darkvoice and WA into consideration but asking for extra informations to guide me to a good start. I don't want to ruin my first experience with a tube amp. By the way, have anybody tried the Sophia Baby amp? I heard it drives speakers fine but I wonder about its capability to work with headphones. Thanks.

May 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 14
If you scored a DV, LD or Woo, you won't ruin your first tube experience. I very much enjoy my LD MKII, but wish I had spent the few extra bucks for the MKIII.

The Woo products blew me away at Can Jam. I am so wanting the new WA6 SE, but may have to settle for the straight WA6. The SE looks like the WA6, but also has a matching has a tube power supply. Wow!!

May 6, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 14
My first tube amp is a Little Dot MKIII. It's a great little headphone amp/preamp at a very reasonable price. Customer service is great..some good tube rolling options as well. I love it.

May 6, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 14
My brother had the LDII++. It wasn't a bad sounding amp, but boy did it ever run hotter than heck!

Anyway, if you want to go on the cheap and want to roll some tubes and even try a little modding, you may want to look into the Xiang Sheng 708B. It's really not a bad little amp once you replace the stock crappy tubes for something better. And for about 30 bucks more, upgrading the volume pot and input caps will easily put this amp right up there with the higher-end amps. And if you want to go crazy on mods like some of us have, then the sky's the limit.

Just a suggestion.

Modifying the Xiang Sheng 708B [56K!!!!]

Quick REVIEW: Modded Xiang Sheng 708B vs. LDII++ vs. LDM+...

p1036514166-4.jpg

May 6, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones do you want to use with it and what kind of music?

Keep in mind that there's excellent value in the For Sale Forum - help out another Head-Fi'er, too.

yep. i see there's a yarland p100 sells around 200. i'm not the seller and i don't know the seller but i have the amp. it's a very nice amp. one thing though, it's heaven with akgs but hell with beyers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back