Entry level audiophile player?
Jan 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 21
don't settle for an "entry level" audiophile player because in future you will crave for more better mp3 player... MUSIC will not die so its better to invest in a good one. If I am in your shoes right now I will buy a Cowon J3, because of the great SQ, flac support, expandable memory. cheers! 
darthsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 21
I would recommend sansa clip+. I have a ipod touch but I leave it at home because clip+ is so light and small. You can easily carry clip+ around. For ipod touch, its hard to switch songs unless you have a remote.

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Entry levels means a lot

Some people count it as "not going to pay $$$ for it, but want something good"
Or
"Got $$$, but not too big into portables"

For the first: Sansa Clip+ with a micro sd card, great audio, Flac standard, 22 hours battery, doesn't need a amp most the time. My grados run great on my clip without my fii0 e5

For the latter: S Flo2, because low price, great, great audio. Line out, for expansion to a amp later.

If you want more then music, get a cowon s9/j3

I don't get 22 hours on my Clip+...more like 12 - 14, but I agree, great player.

Nobody gets 22 hours on a Clip+....even with rockbox. The FuzeV2 with rockbox can hit 22 hours though. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

That said, Clip+ or Fuze with rockbox, great players, especially if you're on a tight budget.

I can personally say that I got 12 hrs, with my Clip+ and the battery was at 50%.  Now this was with a full battery, flac files only on an 8GB card, only activating the screen every hr to see what the battery life was and volume at -15.

The card was full and "Auto-Change Directory" was on.

James

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 21

Quote:

I can personally say that I got 12 hrs, with my Clip+ and the battery was at 50%.  Now this was with a full battery, flac files only on an 8GB card, only activating the screen every hr to see what the battery life was and volume at -15.

The card was full and "Auto-Change Directory" was on.

James

I have read that flac battery life is better than mp3 on the rockboxed Sansa's, I guess your experience proves that! I only have high bitrate VBR mp3's on mine.

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #20 of 21

I have read that flac battery life is better than mp3 on the rockboxed Sansa's, I guess your experience proves that! I only have high bitrate VBR mp3's on mine.

At the risk of being shot down, I can only assume that the FLAC codec doesnt have to work as hard as the MP3 codec, given that the latter has to decompress heavily compressed files on the fly. Whatever magical compression occurs with lossless files only strips out the fairy dust and other non-essential stuff :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 21

Quote:

At the risk of being shot down, I can only assume that the FLAC codec doesnt have to work as hard as the MP3 codec, given that the latter has to decompress heavily compressed files on the fly. Whatever magical compression occurs with lossless files only strips out the fairy dust and other non-essential stuff :)

You are correct. Interesting that the battery life of ogg vorbis is also greater than that of mp3 on the Clip+ when rockboxed, whereas in the Sansa firmware, mp3 is the best optimized codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back