Entry level audiophile player?
Jan 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Caesis

New Head-Fier
I have Meelec M11+s and sometime soon I will grab a pair of grados. I currently use a 2nd Generation iPod touch, which has the same audiochip of prettymuch every iPod.

What's a good entry level/budget audiophile player?

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 21
IMO. an older 30gb zune is one fantastic sounding unit. Can be had cheap. Was praised upon release for the internal opamps but cannot remember which they used. Still love mine. 

Jan 17, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Entry levels means a lot

Some people count it as "not going to pay $$$ for it, but want something good"
Or
"Got $$$, but not too big into portables"

For the first: Sansa Clip+ with a micro sd card, great audio, Flac standard, 22 hours battery, doesn't need a amp most the time. My grados run great on my clip without my fii0 e5

For the latter: S Flo2, because low price, great, great audio. Line out, for expansion to a amp later.

If you want more then music, get a cowon s9/j3

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 21
I replaced my Clip + with the new Sony E354 ........  The clip sounded really good, I personally think the Sony sounds even better.  There are some nice sound enhancement features on the new Walkman.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Entry levels means a lot

Or

For the first: Sansa Clip+ with a micro sd card, great audio, Flac standard, 22 hours battery, doesn't need a amp most the time. My grados run great on my clip without my fii0 e5

For the latter: S Flo2, because low price, great, great audio. Line out, for expansion to a amp later.

I don't get 22 hours on my Clip+...more like 12 - 14, but I agree, great player.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 21
The 2G touch is a fair player. I picked up a Clip+ a few months ago though, and it's since replaced my iPod touch as my go-to portable DAP. The small size allows me to fit the player and my IEMs together in my UE case. I prefer the sound of the Clip+ over my touch by a slight margin. And certainly not least, I have 20GB of storage in such a small device, at a cost of ~$60. I won't feel so bad if I somehow lose it. I do miss album art and such from my touch, but the Clip is a great player and extremely convenient.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:

Quote:
Entry levels means a lot

Or

I don't get 22 hours on my Clip+...more like 12 - 14, but I agree, great player.

Nobody gets 22 hours on a Clip+....even with rockbox. The FuzeV2 with rockbox can hit 22 hours though. http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

That said, Clip+ or Fuze with rockbox, great players, especially if you're on a tight budget.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
The 2G touch is a fair player. I picked up a Clip+ a few months ago though, and it's since replaced my iPod touch as my go-to portable DAP. The small size allows me to fit the player and my IEMs together in my UE case. I prefer the sound of the Clip+ over my touch by a slight margin. And certainly not least, I have 20GB of storage in such a small device, at a cost of ~$60. I won't feel so bad if I somehow lose it. I do miss album art and such from my touch, but the Clip is a great player and extremely convenient.

I leave my Touch 4G home too, and take a Clip+ wherever I go.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 21
Entry levels means a lot

Or

Sorry for not elaborating,

I mean not going to pay alot, but want something kind of good. "Value" priced :p

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 21
any price limit you have in mind - $100, $200 ?

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 21
Try new Nano6G. It sounds ineteresting and funny.
I found Sansa Clip boring even with Rockbox. iPod Touch 2G is better than Clip, but not so fun like iPod Classic. IMO

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Funny?

...Huh?
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 21
LOL - I had a Samsung DAP which sounds absolutely hilarious !

Seriously, I think it might be an 'English-not-first-language' thing - you and I know that something can be 'fun' without being 'funny', but I suspect the distinction might be lost on some from a non-English speaking background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back