Enjoying my shuffle
Mar 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #31 of 39
i think i'm going to get a shuffle for myself and my wife. i've got a couple questions:

1. can you setup the input device (is it itunes?) to just pick a random bunch of songs and load it?

2. what's better at low bitrates, lame-mp3 or aac? i would be transfering my music from flac to mp3 or aac, so that would have to be possible

3. where's the cheapest place to get 1gb ones?

thanks

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i think i'm going to get a shuffle for myself and my wife. i've got a couple questions:

1. can you setup the input device (is it itunes?) to just pick a random bunch of songs and load it?

2. what's better at low bitrates, lame-mp3 or aac? i would be transfering my music from flac to mp3 or aac, so that would have to be possible

3. where's the cheapest place to get 1gb ones?

thanks

1. Yes
2. Not Sure
3. The Apple Store, average price on Ebay is higher than SRP (assuming you want new) and you can't find them in stores anywhere :p

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #33 of 39
Just another bit of Shuffle appreciation. Last night I wanted to listen to some tunes before going to bed, but I just wasn't in the mood to get the full rig going. So I autofilled the Shuffle, popped in my sf5p's and was happy as a pig in...a blanket.
tongue.gif

To my knowledge, the Nano does not have the autofill feature, which completely baffles me.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah

In my experience and opinion AAC is better than lame-mp3 at low bitrates. 128Kb MP3 files sound really bad to me. Mostly cymbals sound all "squishy". AAC at 128Kb does not have that issue for me, and 128 Kb AAC is very listenable to my ears and equipment (neither are the best)

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Just another bit of Shuffle appreciation. Last night I wanted to listen to some tunes before going to bed, but I just wasn't in the mood to get the full rig going. So I autofilled the Shuffle, popped in my sf5p's and was happy as a pig in...a blanket.
tongue.gif

To my knowledge, the Nano does not have the autofill feature, which completely baffles me.

The Nano does not have autofill. I'm using the latest firmware on mine, but I think my version of iTunes is a little out of date. It's 6.01 or something like that.

I wish it did have autofill.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpeck
The Nano does not have autofill. I'm using the latest firmware on mine, but I think my version of iTunes is a little out of date. It's 6.01 or something like that.

I wish it did have autofill.

Crazy isn't it? Such a useful feature. I can't understand it.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #38 of 39
i'm sold. i'm getting one for me and one for the wife. super shhwwwwwwetttt! since my h120 is locking up in rockbox, and i can get two of these for less than my h120, and it sounds perfect. look forward to it.

btw: someone on fatwallet who bought from amazon said that they got the docking station and some covers or something free!

looks like i can get a refurb for $80 to $85 on ebay from highly regarded sellers. but i'm thinking of getting my name, email, or phone number etched in it in case i loose it on apple? also, do you guys use the lanyard? i was at first thinking it would be a pain, but it might be perfect hanging outside a t-shirt, under a jacket; i'd be a tad self-concious wearing it on the outside, and like to go low-profile
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #39 of 39
i might just have to transfer all my FLAC files to wav before i encode to AAC? lucky i have the hdd space if this is so, don't feel like re-ripping discs since i used eac. form now on i guess i'll encode to wav with eac, then encode a copy to aac, and a copy to flac, delete the wav

Users who are viewing this thread

Back