ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Nov 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #931 of 1,237
That would be great. I'm curious how the soundspace & large scale bombast of a symphony translates.

Well...............put on Tchaikovsky's "The Nutcracker" (it's almost Xmas season, right?) done by the Kirov Orchestra led by Valery Gergiev.  Holy smokes, what an incredible display of sound.  I'm not kidding, it was incredible.  The Nutcracker, for those who haven't seen it, is a dramatic play and the instruments render it so compelling.  There's a section near the end of the first disc (two CD's) where the crescendo builds and builds and what sounds like a kettle drum was shaking my head.  I was listening probably louder than normal but it sounded so darn good. 

Soundstage was really really good - HD800 comparable for sure, and the bombast was moving.  I cannot believe how good it was.  I'll be listening to it again.  I recommend using it as a piece to run your speakers or headphones through the paces.  Truly beautiful music and such power.  Wow...............I'm glad you asked for a classical comparison.  It was worth the time spent immersed in the sound. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #932 of 1,237
With all these more than convincing reviews and impressions i hope that the Dharma will be sold again in the 8 or 9 months to come, that i must waited for , to buy them....  thanks to all for these impressions ...
L3000.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #933 of 1,237
Not sure why we're saying there aren't any first impressions?

Here's one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/780#post_12075996

This user followed up later with his decision to return the headphones to the seller.

That guy has no idea what he's talking about...and his user name is ridiculous.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #934 of 1,237

A comparison of the HEX and the Dharma will be very interesting. The other contender in the price range will be the Sennheiser 800S, I guess.

I feel that the Ether C (open or closed) would be a better headphone to direct compare it with, even though the Ether is more money. I assume the HD800S would be also be more money, based on the HD800 price tag.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #936 of 1,237
Not sure why we're saying there aren't any first impressions?

Here's one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/780#post_12075996

This user followed up later with his decision to return the headphones to the seller.

Hi Bazelio, see posts 833, 860. I have now been listening to, and comparing, HD800 ( old, but now with the stock Dharma cable ) to the Dharma with Moon Audio silver dragon v3 ( balanced ) from Luxman p700u HA, and still the HD800 has more air, space which is actually more mellow with the Dharma cable ( single ended ), but different flavour of richer, deeper and wonderful piano range ( depth, body, tonality, timbre all accurately displayed ) from Dharma. treble and midrange are different and complementary, perhaps massed vocals ( eg Bach or Biber masses, cantatas) clearer and more space from HD800, but ensembles and instrumental pieces and strings, woodwinds and horns more deeply musical from Dharma.

Now can appreciate bigger changes from cabling of HP and source , so it has broadened my listening appreciation. Happy with both, will lookfor another HP balanced cable to interchange between both.

M2m

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #937 of 1,237
Jozurr said:
(regarding too much Bass Slam) /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is no such thing unless it bleeds into other frequencies
wink.gif

Think I am going to have to disagree with that one Jozurr.

Reason:  Bass  may be inaccurately presented to the listener for variety of reasons, 
and many these won’t necessarily cause the bass to bleed into other frequencies.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #938 of 1,237

Send me your Ether and I'll compare it to the Dharms!

I was standing on line at the Post Office with your package, all ready to go….and I realized that you didn't say "please"I

Didn't Barney teach us anything? 
tongue.gif

On a serious note, I don't permanently own the Ethers. I just feel that they fall into a similar headphone demographic that can be used for comparisons. The 800's and 1000's are superior headphones that serve a different purpose. The HEX ( as the poster originally asked) is a different beast altogether. They are purposely bumped up in the bass department, and are a "fun" headphone, not really meant for intimate, detailed listening sessions. They were made to cater to a more youthful, on-the-go audience.

I'm not sure how many members here have been around Head-Fi and the flavorful products that have made up a large part of it's conversations for the last 13 years, but the best comparison analogy that comes to my mind, would be this: HE1000 is to the Model X, as the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus is to the Senn HE60 (wow…I just realized the coincidence that they all start with "HE").

Also, Fang told me that these will be the first in his line, to not carry the HE nomenclature. The HE models were related to one of Fang's earlier partners (inventor and builder of the short-lived Jade Electrostat), Dr. "He". Moving forward, his headphones will have a different prefix. 

Just call me Mr. Fun Facts! 
redface.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #939 of 1,237

I was standing on line at the Post Office with your package, all ready to go….and I realized that you didn't say "please"I

tongue.gif

On a serious note, I don't permanently own the Ethers. I just feel that they fall into a similar headphone demographic that can be used for comparisons. The 800's and 1000's are superior headphones that serve a different purpose. The HEX ( as the poster originally asked) is a different beast altogether. They are purposely bumped up in the bass department, and are a "fun" headphone, not really meant for intimate, detailed listening sessions. They were made to cater to a more youthful, on-the-go audience.

I'm not sure how many members here have been around Head-Fi and the flavorful products that have made up a large part of it's conversations for the last 13 years, but the best comparison analogy that comes to my mind, would be this: HE1000 is to the Model X, as the Sennheiser HE90 Orpheus is to the Senn HE60 (wow…I just realized the coincidence that they all start with "HE").

Also, Fang told me that these will be the first in his line, to not carry the HE nomenclature. The HE models were related to one of Fang's earlier partners (inventor and builder of the short-lived Jade Electrostat), Dr. "He". Moving forward, his headphones will have a different prefix. 

redface.gif

I think the price comparison will depend on where in the world you live. I was under the impression that the Dharma, HEX and HD800S would be similarly priced here in the UK. I was not aware that the HEX was tuned to be bass heavy as all reports I've read suggest it is designed to be the HEK using cheaper materials. If it's for bassheads I'll cross it off my list of possible HE-560 replacements...

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #940 of 1,237

Send me your Ether and I'll compare it to the Dharms!

tongue.gif

redface.gif

Hifiman Edition X, that spells HEX to me! 
biggrin.gif
  I.m a youthful 69, but no longer on-the-go!  At least they are more affordable, at 90% of the HE1K sound....... 

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #941 of 1,237

I think the price comparison will depend on where in the world you live. I was under the impression that the Dharma, HEX and HD800S would be similarly priced here in the UK. I was not aware that the HEX was tuned to be bass heavy as all reports I've read suggest it is designed to be the HEK using cheaper materials. If it's for bassheads I'll cross it off my list of possible HE-560 replacements...

I demo`d the X a few weeks ago.  It is similar in size to the HEK, but the drivers are smaller.  By their own admission, the soundstage is narrower.  No talk of bassy-ness, etc. The frame and cups are quite plasticky.  Like the K, it only fits larger heads.   The Dharma is much, much more headphone for the price, IMO. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #942 of 1,237

I demo`d the X a few weeks ago.  It is similar in size to the HEK, but the drivers are smaller.  By their own admission, the soundstage is narrower.  No talk of bassy-ness, etc. The frame and cups are quite plasticky.  Like the K, it only fits larger heads.   The Dharma is much, much more headphone for the price, IMO. 

interesting remark that narrow more the choice of a TOTL headphone at a not too much high cost to this one : the Dharma...
atsmile.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #943 of 1,237

You have perfectly described exactly what I heard when I auditioned them at the San Diego meet last week.

I was disappointed with their strange and unnatural soundstage and so-so comfort. 
frown.gif

So did this imaging issue - the cloning left and right - work itself out as the phones broke in?  This is really the major factor keeping me from wanting to pull the trigger on these.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #945 of 1,237
I let my Dharmas run for nearly four days straight when i wasnt listening to them, so they prob had close to 100hr on them by the time I sent them back. I didnt notice any appreciable change in the imaging, which was the deal breaker for me.

That being said, it seems there are only a handful of us who are bothered by it (or even notice it at all), so if imaging isnt a quality youre sensitive to, Id still give these a listen. Though they dont really sound stat-like (in my opinion) the sound quality is quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back