ENIGMAcoustics Dharma
Aug 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #437 of 1,237

For those who are waiting, the rep said the Dharma is now scheduled for launch in September. 

Wei indicated mid September is the revised target.

September of what year?  Everytime they schedule a release it ends up changed......since May, their original release date.  I'm a little fed up with the wait, and ready to purchase something else!!!

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #438 of 1,237
Perhaps good things are worth waiting for 
smily_headphones1.gif

I sure hope the Dharma is one of them. It is only endangered by the Ether at the moment 
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #440 of 1,237
They're but progress is evidently being made, so let's hope for the best this time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #441 of 1,237
I definitely prefer they get it right and take the feedback from the samples that make their way out audition rather than rush.  I suspect they get pressured to put a date out there when they really don't know.  Most manufacturers can't really risk a bad launch especially when it is their first product in that space like EngimAcoustics is doing with the Dharma.  

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #442 of 1,237
  I definitely prefer they get it right and take the feedback from the samples that make their way out audition rather than rush.  I suspect they get pressured to put a date out there when they really don't know.  Most manufacturers can't really risk a bad launch especially when it is their first product in that space like EngimAcoustics is doing with the Dharma.  

Agree completely.  In a year's time, people won't remember a few month delay but they will remember a bad launch headphone, recalls, etc.

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #443 of 1,237
I'm curious about this purported treble glitch. Honestly, if they had released the pre-production headphone without any sonic changes, it'd be my first-to-buy in that price range. I'd rather them make sure everything is working smoothly and release a bit later. That being said, the design must be finalized, since Tyll has a review unit for Big Sound 2015. I just hope it lives up to what I heard beforehand.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #444 of 1,237
I'm curious about this purported treble glitch. Honestly, if they had released the pre-production headphone without any sonic changes, it'd be my first-to-buy in that price range. I'd rather them make sure everything is working smoothly and release a bit later. That being said, the design must be finalized, since Tyll has a review unit for Big Sound 2015. I just hope it lives up to what I heard beforehand.

Right, earlier in this thread they were quoted to have said they soft-tooled some final designs of the headphones, and we're getting the hard-tooling ready for mass production.

I have a pair of flagship Stax from the mid-1970's, and electrostatic headphones DEFINITELY can produce superior treble and mids, bass was surprisingly good as well but has odd responses as well with some tracks. Theoretically "some." So far only heard one song be weird... "Angel" by Massive Attack has these bass hits right at the beginning which are followed by some harmonic higher note decay, and generally the song is quite fun despite not being mastered very well/cleanly. It seems the track was mastered counting on drivers to distort to blend together these bass notes a bit. On the Stax, there is no distortion and notes are so fast, these bass notes sound completely unlike any other time I've listened to this song and reveals a short ringing sound. Now, the way the Stax can outclass any other headphone I've heard for transparency with pretty much any other song I've thrown at it makes this one oddity a non-issue (any cheap or mid-priced headphone plays it back fine).

I'm glad they've worked on and revised creature comforts for the dharma, because that's one of my two quibbles with the vintage Stax (the other being the need for speaker taps). The Stax SR-X MK III are on-ear, have thin pads, and the only ear angle adjustment comes from the headband/yolks being thin enough to bend, not because there's actually something like a pivot point. The Stax sound completely on another level, but I could give them up for the Dharma if the performance is close and the dharma is comfortable to wear for 3-4 hours.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #445 of 1,237
I've been reading up on these Dharmas but until @Evshrug said he'd be willing to part ways with his Stax for a pair, now I'm seriously interested in them for oh me geez are those Stax his babys. 

Aug 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #446 of 1,237
I got ears on a pre-production Dharma this weekend (updated since Canjam but still not final).  The bass was improved from the Canjam version, tightened up nicely.  The treble was good as always, tho maybe a tad sibilant?  It might just be because I was listening to a lot of neutral-to-warm headphones at the time so the bright electrostatic tweeters stood out a little more.

Either way, they're making good progress.  It sounds better than the last time I heard it and I'm eager to hear what they bring to RMAF in less than two months.

EDIT - Oh and I didn't hear any weird treble glitches.  I didn't spend a ton of time with it, but I ran through a few test tracks on two different systems and didn't hear anything weird.

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #448 of 1,237
  I got ears on a pre-production Dharma this weekend (updated since Canjam but still not final).  The bass was improved from the Canjam version, tightened up nicely.  The treble was good as always, tho maybe a tad sibilant?  It might just be because I was listening to a lot of neutral-to-warm headphones at the time so the bright electrostatic tweeters stood out a little more.

Either way, they're making good progress.  It sounds better than the last time I heard it and I'm eager to hear what they bring to RMAF in less than two months.

EDIT - Oh and I didn't hear any weird treble glitches.  I didn't spend a ton of time with it, but I ran through a few test tracks on two different systems and didn't hear anything weird.

That sounds really promising!
I know you were pretty impressed with the Ether C as well.  Would you mind comparing these two headphones?

Aug 17, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #449 of 1,237
  That sounds really promising!
I know you were pretty impressed with the Ether C as well.  Would you mind comparing these two headphones?

I'll shoot you a PM about it.  (Sorry for not being responsive!)

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #450 of 1,237
I'll shoot you a PM about it.  (Sorry for not being responsive!)

Not fair. We want to know also... C'mon Dan, spread some love. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back