End the mystery about the Yamaha RH5Ma - Lindrone could review them with your help !
Jul 27, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #76 of 155
LOL.. guys.. calm down.. this is really getting worse than even my UE-10 and 2X-S review.. hahahahaha...

I've already ordered the cans, and I thought Silent's request wasn't all that outrageous, if he's willing to chip in $15 on a pair of $45 can, that's more than enough to show that he wanted to help. I could end up keeping the cans anyway, and even if they're not great, I doubt they're crappier (or at least equal to) than my co-worker's V600 or something... which still will get them some eventual use by either myself or my friend or something.

I'm just hoping the shipping gets here faster than sooner, I'm gonna call the place I ordered them from today to check upon the order status.

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #77 of 155
SilentServices,

It's really difficult to come to a conclusion on how much resonance a headphone has without doing a really detailed frequency sweep measurement on it like you'll find at www.headphone.com/. Lots of audiophiles though have ears great enough to tell if a headphone is really colored and "ringy" or "overshooting" at a certain frequency spectrum, or "bloated" at a certain frequency, and that's usually attributed to resonance and bad headphone enclosure design.

You make three points here which constitutes a basic fallacy:

*1- I never said they are closed... since they are Semi-Closed

*2- They are FREE FROM RESONANCE

*3- Never said they are as good as all open cans...

Point 1 is fact. You state they are semi-closed headphones. However, in point 2, you state they are FREE FROM RESONANCE. This implies that there are NO resonances whatsoever being produced by the headphone when it plays anything. This I find hard to believe. NO headphone is completely free from resonances. Point three directly contradicts points 1 and 2 when you state that they are NOT as good as ALL open cans. This implies that open headphones sound better. How can open headphones sound better when the Yamahas are zero resonance? Be careful of how you word things. . .

If the Yamahas are semi-closed or closed, and have any amount of plastic on the outer cups, I guarantee you'll find at least some sort of resonance if you do a full 20-20,000 frequency sweep on the phone.

That's not to say that the headphones automatically sound bad; no, not at all, there are many closed or semi-closed designs that sound great because they were engineered to have relatively small resonances. Simply be careful of how you word things. Stating a headphone has absolutely no resonances is misleading; all headphones have resonances, and this may lead someone to believe it sounds better automatically over other possible choices.

Eagle_Driver,

In regards to the Sony V-series, I agree with you on your evaluation of these phones. The basic sonic signature is one of pure muddiness, harsh lower treble, basically no treble extension, an unhealthy lack of midrange, and a distant, incredibly bloated overall presentation of the music. As you move up the ladder the sound gets progressively better, but it's basically the same can of bad. I can see how some people like them, but I have a hard time defining a completely colored and horribly misdefined sonic presentation as audiophile.

The fact that many are used by sound professionals means nothing to the audiophile market. Everyone should know this. Just because audio professionals use a headphone a lot doesn't make it a more "audiophile" headphone. Sure, it's very popular in the pro environment. But what does that mean? In terms of what most audiophiles are looking for, does the headphone make the cut? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (most of the Beyers and AKGs do, but the Sony V- series doesn't and they are all professionally used). It's best to ask other lovers of high fidelity equipment about high fidelity equipment; the studio environment may give you a general idea of some good products, but it's NOTHING compared to, oh, say, the level of knowledge at the head-fi forums.

I can't wait for Lindrone to get a pair of these to listen to. It will be interesting having a third opinion regarding these phones. I believe SilentServices and Gloco are the only two who have heard it so far. Am I missing anyone?

Just thought I'd add a little fuel to the fire.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 27, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #78 of 155
yamaha has a decent reputation of putting out some awesome values, however their best products in terms of hifi have always been their receivers and pianos.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #79 of 155
Yamaha did put out a line of studio monitors that were used in most of the world's recording studios. But that's been discontinued for a while now.

Recently I had a chance to hear some of Yamaha's more recent speaker offerings. Even their towers don't sound very good. Can't put my fingers on one specific area, everything just sounded lifeless, unnatural.

Their receives and integrated amps have always been well praised, offering very good price to performance ratios. Unfortunately the audiophile world to this day is still too snobish when it comes to made in Japan hifi equipment.

I read somewhere that Yamaha actually makes Accuphase. If that is the case, then Yamaha is still doing outstanding work.

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #80 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Yamaha did put out a line of studio monitors that were used in most of the world's recording studios. But that's been discontinued for a while now.

Recently I had a chance to hear some of Yamaha's more recent speaker offerings. Even their towers don't sound very good. Can't put my fingers on one specific area, everything just sounded lifeless, unnatural.

Their receives and integrated amps have always been well praised, offering very good price to performance ratios. Unfortunately the audiophile world to this day is still too snobish when it comes to made in Japan hifi equipment.

I read somewhere that Yamaha actually makes Accuphase. If that is the case, then Yamaha is still doing outstanding work.

Yamaha are still doing incredible stuff, but you have to find them
wink.gif
Their speakers are not very good... like you said. But they are doing a nice job with their HT amplifier line up... and they are coming back in the audiophile industry with the new MX-D1 that is apparently really something...

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/components/mxd1.htm

Jul 27, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #81 of 155
How many times on headfi a pair of headphone have done this kind of fire? lol im new here remember
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #82 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
How many times on headfi a pair of headphone have done this kind of fire? lol im new here remember
wink.gif

Happens quite regularly. Someone creates a thread about how wonderful xyz is and a lot of people buy into the fallacies, they buy xyz and it turns out to be a shell of what was expected (performance wise).

Boy, i bet if someone here could list all the hyped up gear that fell short of expectations, i bet it would be a rather long list and a lot of money thrown away.

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #83 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
Eagle_Driver,

In regards to the Sony V-series, I agree with you on your evaluation of these phones. The basic sonic signature is one of pure muddiness, harsh lower treble, basically no treble extension, an unhealthy lack of midrange, and a distant, incredibly bloated overall presentation of the music. As you move up the ladder the sound gets progressively better, but it's basically the same can of bad. I can see how some people like them, but I have a hard time defining a completely colored and horribly misdefined sonic presentation as audiophile.

The fact that many are used by sound professionals means nothing to the audiophile market. Everyone should know this. Just because audio professionals use a headphone a lot doesn't make it a more "audiophile" headphone. Sure, it's very popular in the pro environment. But what does that mean? In terms of what most audiophiles are looking for, does the headphone make the cut? Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't (most of the Beyers and AKGs do, but the Sony V- series doesn't and they are all professionally used). It's best to ask other lovers of high fidelity equipment about high fidelity equipment; the studio environment may give you a general idea of some good products, but it's NOTHING compared to, oh, say, the level of knowledge at the head-fi forums.

Actually, not all Sony V-series are widely used in studios - in fact, most professional studios are staying away from the current consumer-level Sony V-series. The only V-series Sony that's almost universally used professionally is the MDR-V6/MDR-7506 (not the MDR-V600) - and you've never heard the V6/7506 in person. (That last part, you've already stated in another thread.)

Jul 28, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #84 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Happens quite regularly. Someone creates a thread about how wonderful xyz is and a lot of people buy into the fallacies, they buy xyz and it turns out to be a shell of what was expected (performance wise).

Boy, i bet if someone here could list all the hyped up gear that fell short of expectations, i bet it would be a rather long list and a lot of money thrown away.

do you still remember what headphones are those ? just wanna make sure that i wont fall into them...

Jul 28, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #85 of 155
Gloco do you like the MDR-7506?

Jul 28, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #86 of 155
Quote:

Gloco do you like the MDR-7506?

Yep, i use them regularly with my portable gear. They can show off how good a well recorded album can sound and how utterly awful a poorly mastered album can sound as well.

Jul 28, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #87 of 155
As a matter of fact i am listening them right now ( the sony MDR-7506 )... and you are telling me that the yams are crap? and that these are good?? Im sorry to tell you this... but they are almost identical ... except that the yamaha are a little smoother and have a better, richer midrange... Also the Sony can sound tiny at time... + upper bass lacks presence...

Anyway...

oh yeah... the sony are too bright at high volume...

Jul 28, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #88 of 155
Quote:

As a matter of fact i am listening them right now ( the sony MDR-7506 )... and you are telling me that the yams are crap? and that these are good?? Im sorry to tell you this... but they are almost identical ... except that the yamaha are a little smoother and have a better, richer midrange... Also the Sony can sound tiny at time... + upper bass lacks presence...

Anyway...

oh yeah... the sony are too bright at high volume...

I'm sorry to say this, because i am not trying to personally attack you. If you think the Yamaha's and Sony's sound the same, you're deaf. The Yamaha's are literally equal to the Sony v150's, which are a complete turd. The 7506's smash them both to beats in terms of fidelity and its analytical tone, which can shine quite nicely with a well recorded cd and a decent source.

The Sony's sound bright at high volumes...that's your gear talking. If you raise the volume up with the Sony's and suddenly the headphones sound too tinny, your gear is at fault, IMHO.

You can go about this from every angle, i know the Yamaha's are complete junk in comparison to almost every headphone i have owned after them, there's no doubt in my mind that every headphone i currently own wipes the floor with them. That includes the portapro's.

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #89 of 155
Didnt said they are the same... but they are in the same league... EASILY!!!
Its ridiculous to bring the V150 again.... the Yams are directly competing with the V6, MDR 7506 and HD280...

call me deaf if you want... but i compared the two headphones TODAY! did you??

Dont talk about the gear... on the rotel... ipod and yamaha receiver the results were almost the same...

Jul 28, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #90 of 155
Maybe your pair of RH5Ma were defective?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back