Emu 0404 USB - waste of money unless recording?
Jan 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 27
No, not dodgy. Again, there is quite a difference between "loud" and "good."

I spend nearly a month with the 0404 USB + CanAmp + HD-650 combo. I was really digging it. It was quite a step up from my iPod + HeadFive + DT-990 setup. Faster, smoother, great bass, strong mids, non-strident highs. All those good words that the Supremus reviewers use.

Unfortunately, I had to return the CanAmp because I kept getting radio interference. At the same time, I ordered a Gilmore Lite and Pico from Head-Amp. Neither have arrived, and I've had to use the HD-650 out of my 0404 USB headphone out. The difference is so dramatic, that I can only listen for about 30 minutes before I long for the old setup and have to stop. I think I even enjoy my iPod + Go-Vibe V5 + PK1 office rig more than HD-650 + 0404 USB only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nylus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do i have a dodgy pair of 650's or something? In terms of volume, my laptop runs my 650's pretty loud without any distortion at all.

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not dodgy. Again, there is quite a difference between "loud" and "good."

I spend nearly a month with the 0404 USB + CanAmp + HD-650 combo. I was really digging it. It was quite a step up from my iPod + HeadFive + DT-990 setup. Faster, smoother, great bass, strong mids, non-strident highs. All those good words that the Supremus reviewers use.

Unfortunately, I had to return the CanAmp because I kept getting radio interference. At the same time, I ordered a Gilmore Lite and Pico from Head-Amp. Neither have arrived, and I've had to use the HD-650 out of my 0404 USB headphone out. The difference is so dramatic, that I can only listen for about 30 minutes before I long for the old setup and have to stop. I think I even enjoy my iPod + Go-Vibe V5 + PK1 office rig more than HD-650 + 0404 USB only.

But the sound is still considerably better than just running your 650's in your computer headphone out?

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 27
I would definitely hope so!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've actually not tried straight out of my home Mac Mini or work MacBook Pro. Maybe in the interest of science, I should give it a spin. Then again, maybe I'll like it and give this all up! HA!

Quote:

But the sound is still considerably better than just running your 650's in your computer headphone out?

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 27
It sounds like that reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. If theres one thing I've learned from Amazon.com reviews (and youtube comments, and most other forums) it's that people who use the internet are idiots. You don't even know if that guy has ever heard an 0404. Most likely he's just parroting something somebody told him.

I'm very satisfied with my 0404. But, since I dabble in recording, it was a no brainer for me even by that reviewers standards.

Jan 22, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 27
Everyone has ears for different gear thus all the conflicting reviews/information.

I recall awhile ago a guy on this forum spent a few grand on various equipment to use with his hd650 (or something sennheiser i believe) while also owning an 0404 USB and he ended up sticking with the 0404 exclusively(as a headphone amp too) saying it was more fun to listen to.

I own an 0404 and think it's great. I had a squeezebox before it and think the emu sounds quite a bit better. I don't really use the headphone jack much, but when I do I'm quite satisfied. It should be noted I use custom IEM's and not full size cans...

I'm amazed at the sound capable from this little blue box with only a generic mini to mini cable feeding my speakers. Both movies and music sound fantastic.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I read this in a review on amazon.com

"Another review also talked about using it as an external sound card. You certainly can do that, but it's a waste of money - other products exist that do the same thing better for cheaper, and without as much bulk or an external AC brick to deal with. No, if you're going to buy this box, buy it to record audio and/or MIDI."

Is that true? Would it be a waste of money if im not going to use the recording features? What external DAC would you guys recommend instead (to drive Sen 650's) if i don't need any recording capabilities? Budget about $300.

Would very much appreciate any responses, thanks.

if you're just using it as a DAC it'd be wasteful but still not bad value for money

on the other hand, I see it not wasted much at all. analog out, headphone out, digital out in coaxial and TOSLINK forms, digital in in coaxial and TOSLINK forms

the only thing i don't see myself using is the midi in/outs. i might use the microphone/analog ins though, heck it even has phantom power all of that for <$200!

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

No not really, i can buy an amp at a later date. Im just looking for a good quality DAC that is good value for money. Thats why i was looking the E-MU 0404, but apparently its only worth getting if you are going to use the recording functions, which im not.

The people who wrote those reviews don't know what they are talking about. It makes a fine standalone DAC too, the other stuff is just a bonus.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're just using it as a DAC it'd be wasteful but still not bad value for money

on the other hand, I see it not wasted much at all. analog out, headphone out, digital out in coaxial and TOSLINK forms, digital in in coaxial and TOSLINK forms

the only thing i don't see myself using is the midi in/outs. i might use the microphone/analog ins though, heck it even has phantom power all of that for <$200!

Comprehensive I/O is never a bad thing, but I wouldn't ever use the midi in/out either. Most midi keyboards I have seen now are USB. You never know, though. I may end up using it one day.

Jan 23, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Do i have a dodgy pair of 650's or something? In terms of volume, my laptop runs my 650's pretty loud without any distortion at all.

When you say resoultion and details, do you mean it will bring out sounds that previously wern't easily heard, or just improves the quality of existing sound. Or both?

Don't worry, it will sound vastly better than your laptop headphone jack. When we talk about a headphone being underdriven, it doesn't mean it can't get loud, it's more a question of texture and fullness in the sound that comes only with a strong signal capable of precisely controlling the drivers. The better dac in the e-mu will feed the amp (or internal amp section) with a signal of greater accuracy and dynamic range than what your onboard soundcard can do as well. I think you'll find there's a great deal more performance in the senns than you've been hearing.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, it will sound vastly better than your laptop headphone jack. When we talk about a headphone being underdriven, it doesn't mean it can't get loud, it's more a question of texture and fullness in the sound that comes only with a strong signal capable of precisely controlling the drivers. The better dac in the e-mu will feed the amp (or internal amp section) with a signal of greater accuracy and dynamic range than what your onboard soundcard can do as well. I think you'll find there's a great deal more performance in the senns than you've been hearing.

Cool thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back