EMU 0404 USB vs 0202 USB (mass damping)
Mar 26, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 50
Someone forgot to take their meds.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. I will do it!

Ok, I did it! I got bigger and tighter bass with more low-level detail, I hear a new world of bass transients! The background become quieter. The improvement was as big as a week of warm-up.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 50
Patrick, I hope you realize that each Magix feet, by the company's published literature, can only hold 12 pounds.

Stacking books on top of that DAC effectively cancelled out the Magix feet.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by cegras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, I hope you realize that each Magix feet, by the company's published literature, can only hold 12 pounds.

Stacking books on top of that DAC effectively cancelled out the Magix feet.

Yes, that's why I use more Magix to enable more weight to be put on top. With my dCS I used 10 Magix and 100lbs, the background got so black it scared me.

Mar 28, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #22 of 50
Nuts.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #23 of 50
I've got a different idea than putting a bracket on top of it, and risking the outside of the frame...

theres no knobs on the bottom right? why not flip it over into a piece of metal with JUST the holes you need drilled out (as the weight will still be across the chasis), and put the books on the bottom end? your bracket will hold it up, and then put whatever under that (a board, the table, whatever you want), and you reach in underneath to adjust the knobs

another idea would be re-casing it (shouldn't be too hard, and I'm thinking the knobs are likely on wires or a small PCB thats on a wire harness) so you don't have the knobs "on top" (just get a project box large enough and drill out the holes you need), not only could you stack things on it, but it would look better as well

@ everyone else:
if you don't have something polite to say, or feel like thinking outside of the box (I look at this not as a question of what vibration does, but as a unique problem with about a thousand unique solutions), why even bother posting? its just rude.

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ everyone else:
if you don't have something polite to say, or feel like thinking outside of the box (I look at this not as a question of what vibration does, but as a unique problem with about a thousand unique solutions), why even bother posting? its just rude.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I thought the OP's initial question was a "joke" and I was just wisecracking along the way.

Quote:

Yes, that's why I use more Magix to enable more weight to be put on top. With my dCS I used 10 Magix and 100lbs, the background got so black it scared me.

Quote:

Ok, I did it! I got bigger and tighter bass with more low-level detail, I hear a new world of bass transients! The background become quieter. The improvement was as big as a week of warm-up.

He IS pulling our legs, right???
confused_face(1).gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #25 of 50
if this is true and the effects that pronounced im gonna suspend my D10 from the roof. that should null any vibrations pretty well. :p

i knew dampening speakers does a lot to the sound, but i prefer having my desk shake to the bass.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no offense, but your signature was referring to you I guess ?
biggrin.gif

from what I understood, the 0202 doesn't offer the same SQ as the 0404...which has the highest THD/SNR results on a well known Japanese site

Highest THD? High THD is bad, lower is better so I guess that was a typo.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the mass damping going to achieve? Reduce vibrations? What are the vibrations causing?

He is being facetious so ignore what he says.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He IS pulling our legs, right???
confused_face(1).gif

Yes. Ask him to point you to his thread on EMI paper shielding and you will understand all.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by roosta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if this is true and the effects that pronounced im gonna suspend my D10 from the roof. that should null any vibrations pretty well. :p

i knew dampening speakers does a lot to the sound, but i prefer having my desk shake to the bass.
biggrin.gif

I have mass loading speakers (Totem) and you can change the low end sound by adding or reducing the amount of cat litter/sand you put in them but that is because the chamber affects bass and is a real physics property of the speakers. There is no scientific evidence that mass loading an amp affects the sound of an amp and Patrick is just having some fun with you. You should feel violated!
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back