EMU 0404 USB vs 0202 USB (mass damping)
Mar 26, 2009 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Patrick82

Banned
The 0404 USB is the best source I have ever tried, beats dCS. But the problem is, I can't place books on top for mass damping because it has knobs on top. But 0202 USB have the knobs at the side instead, so mass damping is possible!

What do you think? Should I trade my 0404 USB to 0202 USB? Anyone want to trade?

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 50
no offense, but your signature was referring to you I guess ?
biggrin.gif

from what I understood, the 0202 doesn't offer the same SQ as the 0404...which has the best THD/SNR results on a well known Japanese site

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no offense, but your signature was referring to you I guess ?
biggrin.gif

from what I understood, the 0202 doesn't offer the same SQ as the 0404...which has the highest THD/SNR results on a well known jap site

Ok, I keep the 0404. How can I mass dampen the 0404 USB with knobs on top? It is hard to change volume after 100 lbs of books are stacked.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
If you do not stop with your ridiculous threads I will ban you permanently. You are polluting this forum and the high end forum, in particular. Feel free to contact Jude or mbriant because unless they stop me, the next thread you post better be worthy.

Mike
Head-Fi Moderator

Quote:

ask Mike, the moderator...he knows

This is a serious question for better audio quality, if he permanently bans me it's not me who has the problems.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

nice try, but I'm not falling for this one
biggrin.gif

NEXT!

Many have tried book tweak with positive results, it is proven.

I was thinking of clamping the EMU0404 USB together at the top sides of the chassis. I have been thinking of how to do it for a long time, I need help.

prod15185_hdr2_1_1_70.jpg

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

ok, use some small silicone rings, open the 0404 USB case, put its PCB between these, rescrew the whole thing...saved
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you mean?

I need to remove the plastic chassis completely and make my own wooden chassis?

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 50
dude, I can't tell whether you're being serious or a troll
+skaarj+.gif

why would the SQ improve if you put books on top of your USB soundcard exactly? because of vibrations? allright, I bit
biggrin.gif

insulate the PCB between silicone rings(within the original case), and it won't vibrate anymore...I can sell you silicone rings blessed by the pope himself if you like, how does US $100 a piece sound? I accept paypal

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 50
you're going to need a metal bracket of some kind that will distribute weight to the edge of the 0404 frame. It'll probably need to be custom made (not too hard, grab some metal, a drill, dremel), then some stand-offs on the bracket so you can put a load on top.

Of course, the 0404 might break apart if you put too much weight on the edges. No idea, do at your own risk. ...I suppose the aim is to stop the unit from vibrating?

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're going to need a metal bracket of some kind that will distribute weight to the edge of the 0404 frame. It'll probably need to be custom made (not too hard, grab some metal, a drill, dremel), then some stand-offs on the bracket so you can put a load on top.

Of course, the 0404 might break apart if you put too much weight on the edges. No idea, do at your own risk. ...I suppose the aim is to stop the unit from vibrating?

Yes, that's awesome. Normal chassis has the circuit board screwed into the chassis (vibration transfer is limited by screw tightness). But it is better to put weight directly into those screws instead, it will press down circuit board.

EDIT: I think this is what they did with dCS Elgar Plus DAC with the large stone built into the chassis!

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 50
You can try keeping it sideways with the knobs facing you and the wires coming off the left and right sides. stack some books behind it to reach the same height, and then mass damp the whole thing. \m/

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try keeping it sideways with the knobs facing you and the wires coming off the left and right sides. stack some books behind it to reach the same height, and then mass damp the whole thing. \m/

Thanks. I will do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back